The Next-gen Situation discussion *spawn

Right, but now go load up a few web browsers, movies, Skype video chats, spreadsheets, office, etc and multiply it by the number of users logged in connected from Surface, tablets and TVs...

If they are aiming for the best experience, then yeah I can see this happening.

No more than 1.5GB, incluiding Firefox and/or skype.

I am more lamenting for the first party titles. I wonder if they remove all the SPU assists and just run the rendering on the new GPU, what it would look like. The new SIMD engine can help in physics, audio, animation, AI, video and other media work. How much effort would it take to port Last of Us over ? ^_^

Surely very minimal. Obviously the new GPU is far, far more powerful than both RSX and Cell combined so there should be no problem at all achieving the same results with minimal effort in an actual port. Obviously emulation is a different question altogether.

I'm not convinced either Microsoft or Sony consider core gamers as the prime market for these consoles. I think the bigger market may have switched over to casual/social gamers and consumers of entertainment & media services.

The consoles will have just enough power to interest the core gamer market but the focus of the designs seems to be more targetted towards the casual/entertainment market.
Well, to be honest you can't really go much beyond from what Sony seems to be doing without pouring big bucks into R&D and making something special. They seem to be focused on gaming first, multimedia later. With MS it seems exactly the opposite.

I don't think the disparities will be too great, one way or the other. I could be wrong of course...

Microsoft's focus is going to be finding a way to use XBox to springboard a larger push against Apple across other devices, and Sony to use PS4 as a synergistic device to flesh out its PSN environment as a truly cross-device storefront with market appeal. Living room and all that.

For better or worse, we need to understand that Apple looms like a shadow over this whole thing for both companies in the context of their broader objectives, and resources will be dedicated accordingly.

With regard to traction, I think both console makers are banking at least to some extent on loyal fanbases to ensure things get going - and I'd say that's probably a safe enough bet to make, assuming reasonable launch prices and decent titles.
Yes, I think you are right. MS certainly sees Apple as a treat in home entertainment space. Still, I don't think it would hurt them to if they went with somewhat stronger GPU.

No more than 1.5GB, incluiding Firefox and/or skype.

Have to remember about virtual memory too, which Xbox probably won't have.

5GB is a lot for games if you think about it. I think it'll be enough to see some persistent world type things (blown up buildings, craters, more corpse piling, etc).

I didn't know MS has Mario, Wii Sports and other hits. No, seriously. If they go weak, what will happen with 3rd parties and nextbox?

33% less flops is not weak as the wii was weak, it will run everything quiet possibly at a lower res. Average joe will never know the ps360 are already full HD from his pov, scaling only got better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know MS has Mario, Wii Sports and other hits. No, seriously. If they go weak, what will happen with 3rd parties and nextbox?

I honestly do not know what MS has in mind.The kinect is one of the most hated devices I've seen his games do not sell, multimedia is okay but from the second / third year of life at the launch of the system people want to see power and exclusive.If also the titles of the third party should be clearly worse on xbox next,I do not see much hope of success for MS.
IF the next xbox is the one that emerges from the rumor will probably be able to sell a few million to Halo fanboy but nothing more.Why would anyone buy a xbox next for 400$ when for the same money could buy a ps4 with better graphics,etc...

You mean a swap partition on the HDD? Why not, I can see the OS part using it.

Yep. It's possible but I could see them trying to segregate OS related I/O and memory access as much as they can, since I'm assuming the same HDD will be used in streaming for games. Not going to be good for your game engine performance if you need to account for random OS swaps.

50% less flops is not weak as the wii was weak, it will run everything quiet possibly at a lower res. Average joe will never know the ps360 are already full HD from his pov, scaling only got better.

That's the key I think. 50% less power in these days of diminishing returns will be largely unoticable to normal consumers (although hardcore gamers like us will have a field day) but the additional services and features you can add with that saved graphics power will be a hell of a lot more appealing to the target market.

I don't want to seem overly negative towards Sony, as a core gamer I certainly appreciate the more powerful gaming machine but I don't see how they can possibly compete against microsoft in the casual/entertainment market when they're facing of against the likes of Kinect, Windows 8 (and all the apps and cross platform features it will bring) and Skype based communications.

That said, from a gamers point of view, I imagine we'll see PS4 getting the better versions of cross platform games - even if it's not main development platform - so it may be the better choice for gamers who don't care about the other functions. Ignoring PC of course.

I honestly do not know what MS has in mind.The kinect is one of the most hated devices I've seen his games do not sell, multimedia is okay but from the second / third year of life at the launch of the system people want to see power and exclusive.
If also the titles of the third party should be clearly worse on xbox next
I do not see much hope of success for MS.
If the next xbox is the one that emerges from the rumor will probably be able to sell a few million to Halo fanboy but nothing more.
Why would anyone buy a xbox next for 400$ when for the same money could buy a ps4 with better graphics,etc...

Your still thinking in terms of the hardcore games console. I think the market has moved on now.

Sony has Playstation Mobile to cover those casuals. PS4 should cater to regular gamers, and should include PS Mobile library, plus motion/exercise/music games.

As for core gaming becoming stale, I'd argue that it's not really because the market has moved on. It's because core games haven't retained these people. ^_^ Wii showed them an alternate way to have (more) fun. And iOS introduced cheap and social games. Can core games be more fun than these ? Perhaps ?

It is now even harder to figure out what kind of stuff MS has in next Xbox. All the sudden, we are expecting MS is going to come out with less powerful(in terms of graphics capability) when opposite case was expected.

The back touchpad on the Vita is really difficult to use with any kind of precision.

This I agree. The Vita launch game featuring Lil' and Laarg (Escape Plan) uses back touch extensively. But it's tricky to use even for a puzzle game. It's probably best suited for untargeted gestures or large-grained activities (e.g., page scrolling). IMHO of course.

It is now even harder to figure out what kind of stuff MS has in next Xbox. All the sudden, we are expecting MS is going to come out with less powerful(in terms of graphics capability) when opposite case was expected.

It is funny that days ago, the consensus was Durango > Orbis... what happened here? :???:

It is funny that days ago, the consensus was Durango > Orbis... what happened here? :???:
It's been going back and forth for months, just the latest stupid rumor from a completely made up story, and it switches again. But the 1.2TF versus 1.8TF is very pervasive, and has some kind of source. And the Special Sauce is intriguing :)

Nothing. The 1.8 and 1.2 numbers were known. Whispers have still said devs prefer and are more excited about Durango. No new information has been added. We're just treating existing rumors as fact after 1 article. You'd think people would at least wait for the supposed CVG Durango article.

Back