The Next-gen Situation discussion *spawn

Well may be MSFT in search for the intensive that will developers to actually develop metro applications that would run on either Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, xbox 8 :LOL:

As they should, because it is quite easy for Sony to add Android to both Vita and PS4 -- when they are "forced to", especially when production cost lowers. Even if it's just dual boot, it will still be an interesting/sensational move.

However the MS rumors we heard so far may apply to multiple/different devices. Perhaps what we hear so far is a mixed up subset.

With that much RAM reserved, you'd have to assume some CPU cores are dedicated to OS tasks.

Possible reasons:
-Use skype for all video and voice chat on the new Xbox
-Facebook, twitter, email + other social media constantly running with notifications that can be checked
-Persistent Live Avatar world that no one cares about
-DVR features running in background
-High-res animated 3D blue-screen-of-death
-Fast switching between games and full dashboard apps (no more quitting your game to change console settings, check what got released on Xbox Video), or some form of multitasking in OS
-Full featured media player running in background
-Huge OS bloat that leads to poor performance and wasted resources
-Kinect processing (Audio, Video, skeletal junk) handled by OS
-Runs Windows 8 RT
-Full-featured Internet Explorer with tabs (with multitasking this could be nice for OCD gamers that use game guides)

Think Windows 8 tablet with fixed hardware reserved for running games. I'm guessing they're chasing more the "home entertainment" crowd, than just pure gaming. Just my 2 cents.

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Well may be MSFT in search for the intensive that will developers to actually develop metro applications that would run on either Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, xbox 8 :LOL:

Yeah I've always presumed their next box would run metro apps, there's no real reason for it not to. That would be great as it's a new large market for my apps, and also gives me an excuse to buy an Xbox 720 to test on :) It may be that metro apps run at the same time as regular games, which is perhaps why they are reserving such a large chunk of memory for them just in case.

Eurogamer Article on Orbis

8 Core Jaguar
18 CU's @ 800 MHz
+ Some special Compute Unit
4 GB GDDR5

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

3GB and two cores for the OS sounds absurd. You probably could run 3 instances of windows RT on that XD

Orbis, at least by those specs, isn't looking that hot either, sure there are console optimizations, but it seems it won't take long at all for Pcs to bruteforce that advantage XD

Read previous 3/4 pages please.

Also, seems Richard is saying MS aren't going for all out power and are hoping Kinect 2.0 will be a difference maker like someone sitting not a million miles from my location said a few days ago :LOL::LOL:

Less power + Kinect? no thanks.

3GB and two cores for the OS sounds absurd. You probably could run 3 instances of windows RT on that XD

I think the promise of (kinda) standardising video communications in the living room via skype and kinect has a lot of marketing potential alone. Sure skype is available today to anyone with a PC, tablet or decent phone but putting it on your TV - to a device that will likely be "always on" enough to recieve skype calls even when it's off - that's a game changer IMO. It can come close to replacing the phone in the house with a true video communication system. It obviosuly doesn't depend on everyone your talking to having an xbox 8 (yep I'm calling it that) as skype is available just about everywhere.

Orbis, at least by those specs, isn't looking that hot either, sure there are console optimizations, but it seems it won't take long at all for Pcs to bruteforce that advantage XD

Yeah about minus 2 years should do it!

A Surface RT tablet has 2GB of RAM. 3GB for a non-mobile hybrid computer would be reasonable. If it is not running Windows 8, then I don't know why they'd need that much memory. If this rumour is true, that's the only thing that makes sense. They can share services and content (including apps) between all of their platforms (mobile, desktop, tablet, Xbox). Honestly, a home theater PC that plays next-gen Xbox games doesn't sound too bad. I'm more interested in pure gaming, so it really depends on how much better the games turn out on PS4 (assuming PS4 rumours are also true).

I've said before, it all comes down to what they want to have available at all times even during gameplay.

The memory sizes are such that saving and restoring application state from spinning disc, or even SSD is impractical, if you want it to run along with the game it has to have memory available.

If your allocating multiple processors, then I'd assume that the intent is to have some always running functionality as well, there are some potentially interesting things they could do here, DVR or perhaps stream video to a portable device etc.
The difficulty becomes though how do those things affect a running game, if it's the same memory pool it's impacting latence and bandwidth, if it's 2 out of 4 cores it's polluting the L2 cache, and even if they were separate you'd still have the issue with the network connection.

For you.

Did you all miss the Wii this gen? Number 1, profit from day 1 and not even able to operate in HD.

If they are going that way MS will probably be laughing all the way to the bank.
I didn't know MS has Mario, Wii Sports and other hits. No, seriously. If they go weak, what will happen with 3rd parties and nextbox?

If they go weak, what will happen with 3rd parties and nextbox?

They will put out games for it?

MS and Sony are still going to be offering the "hardcore" consoles this gen, even if their core isn't hard enough for some. Remember also that where Kinect might not get you interested, there are going to be features and angles that span multiple devices and try to create a broader and more cogent ecosystem for both. They are looking at selling points above and beyond simply the appeal of the graphical output of their consoles to your TV screen.... which at 1080p though, should be plenty good looking. At least good enough for me!

A Surface RT tablet has 2GB of RAM. 3GB for a non-mobile hybrid computer would be reasonable. If it is not running Windows 8, then I don't know why they'd need that much memory. If this rumour is true, that's the only thing that makes sense. They can share services and content (including apps) between all of their platforms (mobile, desktop, tablet, Xbox). Honestly, a home theater PC that plays next-gen Xbox games doesn't sound too bad. I'm more interested in pure gaming, so it really depends on how much better the games turn out on PS4 (assuming PS4 rumours are also true).

Even with a lot of services (Windows 8 Pro) it don't use more than 1GB. And I'm talking about Windows 8 x64 (not RT). RT, aside IE and Office, don't use the desktop, only "metro" apps.

Even with a lot of services (Windows 8 Pro) it don't use more than 1GB. And I'm talking about Windows 8 x64 (not RT). RT, aside IE and Office, don't use the desktop, only "metro" apps.

Right, but now go load up a few web browsers, movies, Skype video chats, spreadsheets, office, etc and multiply it by the number of users logged in connected from Surface, tablets and TVs...

If they are aiming for the best experience, then yeah I can see this happening.

They will put out games for it?

MS and Sony are still going to be offering the "hardcore" consoles this gen, even if their core isn't hard enough for some. Remember also that where Kinect might not get you interested, there are going to be features and angles that span multiple devices and try to create a broader and more cogent ecosystem for both. They are looking at selling points above and beyond simply the appeal of the graphical output of their consoles to your TV screen.... which at 1080p though, should be plenty good looking. At least good enough for me!
That is, if Xbox gets "traction" in beginning. If it doesn't, than its going to be tough. Basically, if every game looks and plays better on competitor machine and your biggest focus in gaming dept. is 3rd party than you clearly choose wrong tactics.

That is, if Xbox gets "traction" in beginning. If it doesn't, than its going to be tough. Basically, if every game looks and plays better on competitor machine and your biggest focus in gaming dept. is 3rd party than you clearly choose wrong tactics.

I'm not convinced either Microsoft or Sony consider core gamers as the prime market for these consoles. I think the bigger market may have switched over to casual/social gamers and consumers of entertainment & media services.

The consoles will have just enough power to interest the core gamer market but the focus of the designs seems to be more targetted towards the casual/entertainment market.

Back