The Next-gen Situation discussion *spawn

gongo

Regular
sounds to me Sony aint playin' the techrace but a race to launch first.. without burning their pockets....me am disappointed and disgusted..no way will i pay for PS3.5 neither will i pay for XBL...i missed the PS3 days...bluray, standard bluetooth, standard wifi, standard 2.5mm hard disk, standard flash memory reader, standard usb2.0...goodness me, Sony why you pussy out now? I don' think the Wii formulae...will always work...consumers are growing to accept higher powered...higher priced electronics...a PS3.5 game may look indistinguishable against a iPad6 game in 2015....a year and half after launching..

A lot of rumours lately. It is long for E3 2013 so many things can change for then. I hope at least one of the three consoles is at least as powerful as today´s PCs...

At this point I'm going to ask:

Do you or don't you believe the GI.biz report about Wii U not being as graphically powerful as Xbox 360/PS3 ?

I don't want to believe it.

No, I DON'T believe it.

edit: I missed this post

The most recent official quotes from developers had been shady: "on par with current gen", "pretty powerfull" (wich means nothing) etc.

So maybe WiiU hardware had been downgraded since last year, to keep the low cost or something. Maybe Nintendo will release 199$ console, who knows :)

I can tell you, IF Ninty don't release Wii U with at LEAST 2x REAL TERM gaming performance..then they are dead meat...

Its perfectly doable...its not hard it really isn't..they wouldn't have to be silly, they could sell console at a decent profit..

The whole controller is not revolutionary tech..unlike say Kinect/wii remote...most of the design/idea/parts are already in use in things like tablets...so the development costs arn't gonna be very big..and they have had 5 years of making a killing off wii to design something good.

Seriously..even taking XENON PPC and just increasing it to 4 cores @ 4ghz..with twice the cache...1-2 GB GDDR5 HD 6670 @800-1000MHZ on 32nm HKMG.

If Someone tells me that can't be done and sold for a mighty profit.. and be at least 2x better in real gaming terms..i would say they were mad...

Do you or don't you believe the GI.biz report about Wii U not being as graphically powerful as Xbox 360/PS3 ?

No, I DON'T believe it.

Well all I know is I won't buy one if it brings weaker graphics than ancient consoles.

At least the Wii was more powerful than PS2 and XBox 1, so placing the Wii U's performance below the PS3 and X360 will eventually make the Wii U even harder to "look at" as it is with the Wii right now.

Share prices are now down to the gamecube era, brand value has been scattered for the last years.
Nintendo desperately needs:
1 - A powerful-enough home console to bring third-parties and visual "compliance" with 8th gen consoles.
2 - A smaller 3DS with much larger battery and second analog pad.

Woa Nintendo always amaze me. No matter how it turns they manage to live with... As they are unlikely to sell the thing for a loss (or a significant one) they should manage to survive on their fans.

But clearly the management of the company under perform to say the least...

About MS also using a X86 cpu, I don't believe in it. Bc for MS should be easily achieved I find few reason for them to pass. Sony is another matter as the cell looks like nothing else on the market.

At least the Wii was more powerful than PS2 and XBox 1, so placing the Wii U's performance below the PS3 and X360 will eventually make the Wii U even harder to "look at" as it is with the Wii right now.

Although it is somewhat relative, I do cannot consider Wii more powerful than Xbox 1, maybe in some aspects, overall Xbox1 > Wii.
Enough with off topic.

I can only expect Wii U to surpass old 7 years tech, it isn´t that hard to acomplish.

This is the thread for all the next-gen discussion that isn't trying to guess the hardware specs. Rant about the rumours. Preach the doomed business strategies. Profess the death of gaming here.

Heh, whatever happened to the diminishing returns crowd?

You know, going forward we wont be able to tell much difference between console X and Y...they're all powerful enough.

Until we find out my favorite console X has only 2GB while console Y will have 4GB, then it's screeching and wailing, eh?

I think we should just all admit, power is the most important factor in core gaming, and there is not a close second.

Well all I know is I won't buy one if it brings weaker graphics than ancient consoles.

Share prices are now down to the gamecube era, brand value has been scattered for the last years.
Nintendo desperately needs:
1 - A powerful-enough home console to bring third-parties and visual "compliance" with 8th gen consoles.
2 - A smaller 3DS with much larger battery and second analog pad.

Wii wasn't more powerfull than xbox 1 was it??

Wii wasn't more powerfull than xbox 1 was it??

Given that the gamecube was sometimes capable of visuals comparable to XBox 1 and the Wii is "1.5x-2x GC", I'm pretty sure it is.
The main CPU may have comparable performance between the two, both have a dedicated 3D positional audio processor, but the Wii has an ARM9 to take care of all I/O (controllers, optical drive, etc) and encription/decription functions, so in the end the Wii should win in CPU power.
The GPU should also be a bit faster though maybe less flexible (some say the TEV units offer similar functionality to the DX8 shaders in the NV2A), even if we look at raw numbers from Flipper and multiply for 1.5.

But in the end, memory performance should be a lot faster in the Wii.
The XBox 1 has 64MB of UMA. The Wii has 3MB eDRAM for texture/framebuffer, plus 24MB of 1T-SRAM in the GPU, plus 64MB of GDDR3 for system memory.

Nonetheless, the Wii is considered a "late 6th-gen" console, essentially capable of late 6th gen visuals, but it's still the fastest of the bunch.
If the Wii U comes out and does less than the 7th-gen consoles, then 3rd parties won't even look at the console for anything other than cheap ports during the first 2 years and cheap casual games for the rest of its time -> which is the main problem Nintendo says it's avoiding this gen, so it really doesn't make sense.

Even worse is if the new XBox practically copies the tablet controller from the Wii U and attaches it to a modestly powerful console (Juniper level GPU, for example), all while selling at the same price as the Wii U because Microsoft is willing to sell at a loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
If both Sony and MS support an anti-used system, there's a good chance third parties will neglect WiiU irregardless of the hardware capabilities.

I like this article by Ars
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/04/the-x86-playstation-4-signals-a-sea-change-in-the-console-industry.ars

It does seem quite possible that this will be the first gen where consoles don't outperform high end PCs at launch - which is a huge disappointment to all us core gamers.

And the Wii might have more RAM than the Xbox but the it does lack programmable shaders (and the standard HDD) so I wouldn't say the graphics were significantly better (which is pathetic). There's probably an Xbox game out there that couldn't be done properly on Wii (Doom 3, HL2 perhaps).

What also is interesting is the rumour that Sony is going to launch first and with weaker hardware too boot. But I guess they are bleeding money and are no longer interested in being the tech visionaries (after all that didn't help them much this gen)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really a poor article, and I told Dr. Pizza as much. There has been a bit of turn over there (e.g. Ben K. and John Stokes are no longer there; the current gaming guy doesn't read most of the comments in his posts and habitually forgets little things, e.g. what platform a game is on... like that isn't important information or anything) and the quality is in a lot of flux right now. I note this, again, because that article is pretty poor. I wouldn't cite as proof outside of bringing forward a specific point because a lot of his data is wrong/very slanted.

I like this article by Ars
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/04/the-x86-playstation-4-signals-a-sea-change-in-the-console-industry.ars

It does seem quite possible that this will be the first gen where consoles don't outperform high end PCs at launch - which is a huge disappointment to all us core gamers.

What also is interesting is the rumour that Sony is going to launch first and with weaker hardware too boot. But I guess they are bleeding money and are no longer interested in being the tech visionaries (after all that didn't help them much this gen)
Rumors are still rumors and it's quite possible some sites are simply copying and pasting infos from others while coming up with their own. In fact if PS4 does come with a 7870 variant, 2gig GDDR5 and a generic quad core cpu, it would still be quite a leap. But if it's anything less than a Pitcairn then I would abandon Sony for nextgen. I am not holding my breath but I'm not loosing faith completely yet:) so never say never. Same logic goes to the new xbox.

I'm expecting a solid upgrade and power, but it goes without saying that the next consoles wont have as powerful hardware as a top end PC at launch, that ship has sailed. Happily on screen pictures can still be very pretty.

No, I DON'T believe it.

I have had a hunch or gut feeling Wii U wouldn't be even as powerful as PS360 practically all along.

Usually I would state I believed it would be ~30% more powerful, but I always had that hunch. My hunches are often right and later I wish I'd listened to them.

So yes, I believe the report. My thinking was that Nintendo is probably going to do something to horribly screw up the box related to bandwidth, so even if it's paper specs were better it would be crippled (I've thought this since DDR3 rumors).

I guess I just have a really really poor view of Nintendo engineering.

I'm expecting a solid upgrade and power, but it goes without saying that the next consoles wont have as powerful hardware as a top end PC at launch, that ship has sailed.
Indeed. The introduction of SLI means $2000 worth of top-end PC will always beat consoles now. Back in the day when custom hardware could achieve great things, the consoles could hold their own. But now consoles will always be lower spec than a top-end PC rig at launch. The best they could hope to achieve is slightly lower than a top-end single GPU system. And given that the console companies can't beat a PC, it makes some sense to be a little more conservative and chase other features, like an integrated Kinect experience. Providing a unique experience is the best chance the consoles have.

Back