Nvidia: Petition needs your support (LOD adjustment in DX10+)

As many of you probably know, AMD has implemented automatic LOD bias adjustments for SGSSAA in DX10/11. This adjustment is necessary for more texture detail and sharpness when using SGSSAA. Without it, surfaces appear blurry.

Nvidia currently only supports (manual) LOD adjustment in DX9 and lower. There is a petition going on over at the Nvidia forums for this feature to work under DX10/11 as well. If enough interest is conveyed, there is a good chance we might get it. I kindly ask for your support.

The petition thread can be found here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226244

P.S.
A manual adjustment would be preferred over an automatic one, because more control is always better. Also screenshot comparisons with/without negative LOD are always welcome (over there at the NV forums) to further our cause.

I was part of a related thread on the nv forums it went on for over 2 years and 24 pages nvidia never even bothered to read the thread or have the courtesy to post in it. and when questioned on the issue they lied.
This issue is more current and effects more people so they may fix it

You could try emailing the new head of their p.r department

What thread are you referring to?
Look at the fps limiter that is now an integral feature of Kepler (at least it is marketed as such). That started out as a petition as well. If the message is clear cut and focused on a single feature, chances are good.

it was the avp thread
doing it in the official nvidia forum is a mistake I beleive
1. people have to register for the forum first and go through all the confirmation email hassle people dont like having to register just to sign a petition
2. nvidia dont read their own forum

you should do it at something like http://www.petitiononline.com/ its much easier for people

ps: signed even though i'm an ati user now

Thanks for your support!
Yeah next time we'll use some other means. I didn't initiate the petition, I'm just rooting for it.

it was the avp thread
doing it in the official nvidia forum is a mistake I beleive
1. people have to register for the forum first and go through all the confirmation email hassle people dont like having to register just to sign a petition
2. nvidia dont read their own forum

you should do it at something like http://www.petitiononline.com/ its much easier for people

ps: signed even though i'm an ati user now

Nah. Nvidia has employees to read their own forums (like ManuelG). They are not like AMD!
But you´re right with the reg-form. No one wants to reg just to sign a petition.
@box: i see you everwhere on the inet.. even in my rss-feeds :LOL:

Is SSAA applicable in any game at AMD right now? Even D3D10&11 :?::oops: And is the LOD-adjustment fixed by a profile or some calcs done by the driver (2xSSAA = -0.5 etc..)??? mysterious AMD ;)

Update:
The thread has been pinned at the Nvidia forums and gotten Nvidia's attention.

I have made a comparison in Skyrim with 4xSGSSAA with and without LOD adjustment.
2K HD textures and vurts flora overhaul mod was used along with Bethesdas original HD textures. One can clearly see the improved detail with LOD -1.0. Without lod adjustment, many details are blurred away. I have marked several examples in the pictures for your convenience and made a side by side comparison with selected sections as well.

Remember:
Skyrim is DX9, so here it works. In DX10/11 games, when using SGSSAA, you will get the blur and lack of detail shown in the LEFT picture.

left: LOD 0.0
right: LOD -1.0

Yeah I've noticed how blurry SGSSAA is sometimes. It actually often looks out of focus it's so bad. ATI's SSAA (RGSSAA, I think) has never been like that. But NVIDIA doesn't even officially support SGSSAA in their control panel.

I'm hoping that with the new consoles coming, with their much more advanced feature sets, that quality anti-aliasing will become more common direct from the game developers. Croteam actually has SSAA support in Serious Sam 3.

I was a 3dfx nutjob and loved RGSSAA with adjusted LOD, every bit.
had a program in the systray that I used to launch games, with every setting adjusted (fsaa, lod, 16bit@22bit, vsync and buffering, etc.)

I do want such settings to work on nvidia hardware, preferably from G80 generation onwards, else from Fermi generation onwards, and transparently enabled in the game profiles infrastructure.
dearling missing are a game profile equivalent under linux, or an API that will allow to build scripts or a launcher similar to the one I had with the voodoo5.

will sign the petition.
LOD adjustments may possibly fuck up special textures which contain data rather than graphics. but these are probably not concerned with the mip-mapping and bilinear/trilinear filtering problems. (btw the voodoo5 only did bilinear filtering and the fsaa+LOD was so good it didn't matter)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back