27" Monitor Recommendations

Man, you put yourself into a corner there.

I'm quite aware that there are plethora of cheap (and moderately priced) TN panels in the wild, but TN panels focus on things that are not necessarily a high priority for me (fast refresh, less expense.)

Can you even get a WQHD resolution in a TN panel?

No, all TNs are 1920 rez max (basically made for the TV market.)

Are you sure about that saying is for TV market? I'd think TNs are totally unsuitable for TVs since they really have the poorest viewing angles.

Always thought they put *VAs in thouse LCD TVs..

Well for what other purpose would they be? Also, you sit relatively far away from TVs generally, limiting the impact of angles somewhat. TN probably only goes into the cheapest sets though, with various VA varieties making up the higher brackets I would think.

I know there's a crap-ton of TN-paneled TV's, but I"m sure those are the 'cost optimized' models too.

Welp, U2711 it is.

Dude on CraigsList had several that he sold directly out of his house (complete with kids, wife and cat heh.) We opened one up, tossed it on his desk, ran through an LCD checker tool to ensure no dead/stuck pixels, visited the Dell website to confirm 1080 remaining days of warranty on this service tag, packed it back up and I took it home for $685.

Quite happy :)

Congratulations, Albu!

It's 27" for life now for me. Nothing less can satisfy me now that I've tasted the honey sweetness such a large screen estate offers.

Enjoy your purchase. It's undoubtedly a very good one!

LOL @ the replies ;) I do NOT need any more wives or kids at my house, kthxbye!

The 7970 at 1150/1525 chews through most anything at this rez. Glad I upgraded from the 5850...

Wow. Talk about a noticeable upgrade! Based on the chronology I don't think you ever had the 5850 driving the new monitor though, right?

No, but I still have the 5850 in a box. I could always drag it out and see what Crysis does to that poor thing at this rez :D

Back