"Obscure" 800MHz dual-core SoC in Samsung Galaxy Ace 2?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

GSMArena claims the Galaxy Ace 2 has a dual-core 800MHz SoC, which sounds a bit powerful for a supposedly low-cost smartphone.

Does anyone know what could this SoC be? I've seen comments about it being an underclocked ST-Ericsson U8500, others claiming it's a Renesas chip.
Could it be Renesas EV2, which supposedly tops at 533MHz per core, and has been appearing in low-cost chinese tablets for a while?

The SoC in the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" is also a mistery at the moment. There's only mention of it being a dual-core 1GHz SoC, which rules out Exynos 4210, Tegra 3, OMAP4460 and others. Maybe Tegra 2 again?

I Suppose it doesn't really rule out anything as we have such limited specs, clock speeds can be clocked up or down a few hundred mhz...so could well be another 4210??

I Suppose it doesn't really rule out anything as we have such limited specs, clock speeds can be clocked up or down a few hundred mhz...so could well be another 4210??

Exynos 4210 for a low-cost smartphone seems way too much, so you're talking about the tablet?
Why would Samsung clock the Exynos 4210 to 1GHz in a tablet whereas the year-old smartphone version has been running at 20% higher clocks?

GSMArena claims the Galaxy Ace 2 has a dual-core 800MHz SoC, which sounds a bit powerful for a supposedly low-cost smartphone.

I'm not so sure I'd agree it is a low-cost smartphone. GSMArena report it is going to cost £250 and it reportedly has a 3.8" WVGA screen. Definitely mid-range for me though admittedly towards the lower-end of mid-range

As for the SoC used? No idea. :D

Erm, how about a dual Cortex-A5?

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/29/arm-cortex-a5-great-product-potential-failure/

The Qualcomm MSM7227A would seem to fit the bill.

Mariner said:

Except it's not a dual core..
Though I'm more inclined in GSMArena being wrong.. they took it from a Samsung statement claiming it has a "dual engine", whatever that means.

Except it's not a dual core..
Though I'm more inclined in GSMArena being wrong.. they took it from a Samsung statement claiming it has a "dual engine", whatever that means.

Sorry, got my links mixed up due to a lack of sleep. I was thinking of the following article which mentioned budget dual-core chips from Qualcomm:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/08/qualcomms-two-new-1ghz-dual-core-chipsets-make-s1-to-s4-migrati/

Apparently, MSM8225 (which I believe may be a dual-core Cortex-A5), is software and hardware compatible with the earlier MSM7227A and the like.

Exynos 4210 for a low-cost smartphone seems way too much, so you're talking about the tablet?
Why would Samsung clock the Exynos 4210 to 1GHz in a tablet whereas the year-old smartphone version has been running at 20% higher clocks?

I was talking about the tablet, but yes it would seem a little strange to do that, although Qualcomm has some midrange s4 SOC's on the way that reach that frequency and decent enough performance for a tablet design.
Take a look at the MSM 8x27 below..
Screen%20Shot%202011-11-16%20at%2011.41.06%20AM_575px.png

I'm not so sure I'd agree it is a low-cost smartphone. GSMArena report it is going to cost £250 and it reportedly has a 3.8" WVGA screen. Definitely mid-range for me though admittedly towards the lower-end of mid-range

As for the SoC used? No idea. :D

Erm, how about a dual Cortex-A5?

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/29/arm-cortex-a5-great-product-potential-failure/

"An ARM spokesperson told us that the A5 turned out to be twice as fast as the A8 on average because of architectural tweaks carried out over the last two years."

Oh god, this comment is worse than Intel level and I seriously hope ARM didn't really say that (or if they did, that the spokesperson wasn't an engineer and is disciplined for this massive gaffe). In the real world a Cortex-A9 comes nowhere remotely close to 2x the performance clock for clock as a Cortex-A8 in any test (try more like 1.2-1.3x) and I'm sure that ARM doesn't mean to say now that Cortex-A5 is faster than Cortex-A9 (their claims are for similar clock speeds).

I suspect that statement was mangled from something like "the Cortex-A5 has twice the performance per Watt of the Cortex-A8", which is what ARM have said about the A5.

Back