Why does the ipad 3 have better resolution than even $600 monitors ?

The ip3 gets noticeably warm in its lower left corner (over the CPU, I would assume) just by it being on, essentially. Considering how big the battery is it's not surprising it emits a fair amount of heat when in use...

I found this link http://liliputing.com/2012/04/intel-retina-laptop-desktop-displays-coming-in-2013.html (via http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/15...pplosning-punkttathet-i-framtida-datorskarmar) about Intel's views on pixel density of displays the coming years.

Original article comes with pretty pictures as well.

Yeah, they come to the same conclusion as I did...

Until supply and demand increase sufficiently, high resolution displays will still cost a heck of a lot more than the 1366 x 768 pixel displays that seem to be everywhere today… and it took a long time for that resolution to finally become more popular than older 1024 x 768 pixel screens. Retina displays might remain the exception rather than the rule for years to come.

They are talking about Notebook panels there but it would apply even more so to the desktop space.

Still, there's a good chance I'd get one once they hit sub 2k USD pricing.

The other thing that concerns me, which the iPad 3 illustrates is the higher energy consumption due to the need for stronger backlighting. I'm going to guess that power consumption for a high PPI LED backlit desktop panel will probably approach CCFL backlit monitor power use numbers which is significantly higher than LED backlit monitor power use.

Regards,
SB

Grall said:
The ip3 gets noticeably warm in its lower left corner (over the CPU, I would assume) just by it being on, essentially. Considering how big the battery is it's not surprising it emits a fair amount of heat when in use...

What worries me is that it can't get enough juice to operate from mains. That's a design flaw imho. Mains connected should always mean you cam use the system all out, and preferably still get a recharge. Ah well, is getting a little off topic but does show at least one factor holding this back.

Will be interesting to see if high PPI AMOLED can give better results powerwise.

Vita's poweradaptor is 5V btw at 1500mA

Has there been a study on what is the ideal monitor size?
Of course this is gonna depend on how far someone sits from it, but say like me ~35cm

Like Ive been waiting until a 2560x1600 dropped below the thousand dollar barrier before buying (my gf would murder me otherwise), the thing is I only want one cause of the larger resolution not the larger screensize, hell even now 24" is too big.
Like when Im programming I shift my most used tabs into the center of the screen, the first couple on the left are just not as comfortable to glance at, ok this is a minor inconvenience but its still an anoyance.
But for shear eye comfortability I went backwards going from 20" 4:3 to 24" 16:10
Im guesssing prolly 19-22" is an ideal screensize any confirmation on this?

I paid ~$950 for my 30" Dell (U3011). That's below $1000, right? In fact Dell Canada has them for $999 atm.

Im answering my own question
THX have done the calculations

if you sit 50cm away from the screen the ideal monitor size is
4:3 16"
16:9 14.7"

if you sit 40cm away from the screen the ideal monitor size is
4:3 12.8"
16:9 11.7"

wow! I knew it was gonna be less than my current 24" but not that much less

@AlphaWolf Sorry I meant NZ 1000, ~820US

35cm? Are you sure you don't need glasses?

At work I generally have my monitors at around 1-1.2m distance and I have 2x24". At that distance they are relatively tiny and 27-30" would work much better

The other thing that concerns me, which the iPad 3 illustrates is the higher energy consumption due to the need for stronger backlighting. I'm going to guess that power consumption for a high PPI LED backlit desktop panel will probably approach CCFL backlit monitor power use numbers which is significantly higher than LED backlit monitor power use.
Interestingly, Samsung is projecting lower power consumption while panel resolutions increase going forward.

Im answering my own question
THX have done the calculations

if you sit 50cm away from the screen the ideal monitor size is
4:3 16"
16:9 14.7"

if you sit 40cm away from the screen the ideal monitor size is
4:3 12.8"
16:9 11.7"

wow! I knew it was gonna be less than my current 24" but not that much less
In which way are these "ideal"? While you obviously might need to move your eyes (and head) with a large monitor/multimonitor setup that is in most cases preferable to constantly having to scroll or manage windows.

What worries me is that it can't get enough juice to operate from mains. That's a design flaw imho. Mains connected should always mean you cam use the system all out, and preferably still get a recharge. Ah well, is getting a little off topic but does show at least one factor holding this back.

Will be interesting to see if high PPI AMOLED can give better results powerwise.

Vita's poweradaptor is 5V btw at 1500mA

It can charge from the mains, the chargers output is 5.1V 2.1A. What they could have done were increasing the ampere but then it wouldn't be able to charge via a high power USB port.

Are you going to be using it for more than 9 hours a day that it can provide before running out of juice?

Just buy it and don't look back. I'm using mine as I used my iPad and iPad 2. Use it in the day, charge over-night.

In which way are these "ideal"? While you obviously might need to move your eyes (and head) with a large monitor/multimonitor setup that is in most cases preferable to constantly having to scroll or manage windows.
1. try the THX website (or google it)
2. hmmm you dont understand, ok up to now & previously since DPI is typically ~95 to get better resolutions you had to buy a larger monitor. Now Im asking say DPI is infinite i.e. remove it from the equation, what is the ideal monitor size?

@hoho yes I wear glasses, though it sounds like you might also need to get your eyes checked, longsightedness is associated with age, have you noticed when reading youre holding books further away than you used to?

Are you going to be using it for more than 9 hours a day that it can provide before running out of juice?

Just buy it and don't look back. I'm using mine as I used my iPad and iPad 2. Use it in the day, charge over-night.

Yes the battery life itself is still good and if you actually do charge it every night then there aren't problems, but if you are a heavy user and sometimes forget to charge it during the night, the problem will manifest. I've already ran in to that situation twice in a week. With the previous iPads this wasn't that bad as the charging was much faster, but now it really takes a long time. It's not a big issue in the end, but still a big step in the wrong direction.

Yes the battery life itself is still good and if you actually do charge it every night then there aren't problems, but if you are a heavy user and sometimes forget to charge it during the night, the problem will manifest. I've already ran in to that situation twice in a week. With the previous iPads this wasn't that bad as the charging was much faster, but now it really takes a long time. It's not a big issue in the end, but still a big step in the wrong direction.

I don't quite get why people are complaining over battery life, which is still longer than competing tablets are offering.

It is not a step back unless you have to charge it on the go because I'll agree that the 42.5Whr rating of the battery is sick. Could try and give it higher ampere with a different charger, as it technically is a Lithium-ion Polymer battery.

Heck, I charge my iPhone constantly with the iPad charger because it is faster.

IMHO the only notable feature of the new iPad compared to the iPad 2, other than the new display, is probably the camera. Their CPU is largely the same (same frequency, some number of cores), GPU is doubled but that's for the new display. The new iPad has worse battery life, and is also warmer. Considering that the new iPad 2 is US$100 cheaper and with potentially longer battery life (with the new 32nm SoC), I think we already have your hypothetical "cheaper" new iPad.

Of course, the psychological effect of owning the latest toy can't be ignored, but at least we already know that at least 3 million new iPad has been sold. I think we'll get breakdowns of sales numbers a few weeks later from the Apple's quarterly report, and we'll know how many people are willing to forfeit the high PPI display (and better camera) for US$100.

There is nothing psychilogical about the screen. It's head and shoulders above the ipad2 screen. Considering that majority of your time will be spent looking at the screen, it's likely an easy sell.

The conversation changes a little when discussing an upgrade but incase of a new purchase, I can't foresee a reason in which I and basically every reviewer would suggest the ipad2 over ipad3.

The conversation changes a little when discussing an upgrade but incase of a new purchase, I can't foresee a reason in which I and basically every reviewer would suggest the ipad2 over ipad3.

Well there is the common reason of already having the former. I continue to be amazed at how apple manages to get people to upgrade. I have a friend who upgraded to the iphone 4s from the iphone 4 because of Siri... and Siri doesn't even really work in Canada. :)

I think it's probably safe to assume that most of those bought iPad 3 early already own an iPad or iPad 2. However, if after iPad 3's wide availability, Apple is still selling a lot of iPad 2, then maybe we can say that some people are willing to sacrifice high DPI display for US$100 (which is not a small amount for a US$499 device). Personally I think it's very unlikely, so the success of iPad 3 could mean a new era of high DPI display entering mainstream.

I think it's probably safe to assume that most of those bought iPad 3 early already own an iPad or iPad 2. However, if after iPad 3's wide availability, Apple is still selling a lot of iPad 2, then maybe we can say that some people are willing to sacrifice high DPI display for US$100 (which is not a small amount for a US$499 device). Personally I think it's very unlikely, so the success of iPad 3 could mean a new era of high DPI display entering mainstream.

Well, it's the first time you could get such a device with that screen for $499.

But I think many people are just used to the 960 x 640 display of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S and want that "sharpness" on their iPad as well.

It really does make a difference, not to mention the new panel has an 94% sRBG color gamut. Pictures look amazing on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of a funny little device my friend bought nearly 10 years ago :)
It's a Sony notebook, but it's very small. Its display is only 6.4", but @ 1024x768, that makes it ~ 200 dpi. Unfortunately, Windows XP does not support high DPI properly (nor is 1024x768 enough for anything like that). Of course, it's very expensive. IIRC he paid around NT$50k for that. I think that's more than US$1,500.

Speaking of color gamut, I recently found that my iPad 2's display is more close to sRGB than my iPhone 4 (my iPhone 4 is a little bit "yellowish"). Then I found that some (but not all) iPad 3 also has this "yellow-tint" problem. It's too bad that Apple doesn't support color management in iOS. Personally I think if Apple don't want to support color management in iOS for whatever reason, it's their duty to make sure all their devices look roughly the same under its device color profile. I mean, Apple used to be popular in desktop publishing market, this is something I expect them to do well.

Anyway, I'm still eager to buy an iPad 3, but I'll wait for its official release here. Maybe some little bugs will get fixed. :)

I was just reading last week that the iPad 3's color representation was far better than the iPad 2 again (a far better color range also), and that photographers were very enthusiastic about its RGB fidelity. Wasn't there something about this in the Anandtech review?

EDIT:

As we mentioned in our Retina Display analysis, Apple delivered on its claims of a 44% increase in color gamut. The new iPad offers nearly full coverage of the sRGB color space and over 60% of the Adobe RGB gamut:

Color accuracy is also much better as you can see in the graphs here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/4

I was just reading last week that the iPad 3's color representation was far better than the iPad 2 again (a far better color range also), and that photographers were very enthusiastic about its RGB fidelity. Wasn't there something about this in the Anandtech review?

Yes. Apparently some iPad 3's yellow tint problem is manufacturing related (some claim it fades after a while). If Apple replaces any of these yellow ones without question then I'm completely ok with that. But remind me to bring my iPad 2 when buying my iPad 3 :)

Back