News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-tap + Y = Screenshot That.

Since Double-tap + X = Record That.

That's the natural progression I would use.

That makes sense.

Maybe MS should really think about releasing a new controller with a social button. One tap = screenshot and two taps = record.

That makes sense.

Maybe MS should really think about releasing a new controller with a social button. One tap = screenshot and two taps = record.

They did. Xbox, Snap (item). Xbox, Switch. Xbox, Go back. Xbox, Record that. Xbox, Use a code. Xbox, Take screenshot....

You can already take screenshots on the console when submitting feedback. But it can be slow and it captures everything.

Yeah, that might be for the best in terms of implementating a button, but it still means more work for every game developer on just one platform.

Double-tap Xbox button + X button already does "Xbox Record That". Double-tap just brings up the Snap Center. They should just add an option for the A button to take a screenshot. For voice command they can say "Xbox Image That" or something similar(screenshot has an extra syllable that takes too long).

EDIT: BRiT already beat me to it. Oops. :)
Tommy McClain

These are some of the best new dashboard backgrounds on the Xbox One.

http://www.totalxbox.com/82190/the-best-custom-xbox-one-dashboard-backgrounds-so-far/

image_41974_fit_940.jpg

image_41973_fit_940.jpg

image_41972_fit_940.jpg

image_41971_fit_940.jpg

image_41970_fit_940.jpg

image_41969_fit_940.jpg

http://cdn.medialib.totalxbox.com/screens/dir_419/image_41968_fit_940.jpg

This is the method to create a custom background (I shall use DLNA):

• Connect a USB to console / Connect a source through DLNA
• Launch Media Player (either directly or through Settings>My Xbox > My background > Custom image)
• Navigate to source of your choosing (USB/DLNA)
• Navigate to folder/file of your choosing
• Select the jpg/png image – see it full screen.
• Once you are viewing the image full screen, hit the menu button.
• Select “Set as background”
• You will be sent back to the full screen view of the image.
• Hit nexus, see the image on Home.

What is the nexus button?

The system OS has to have access to the game's front buffer to composite it with the system UI elements. Oh, I suppose conceptually the game content could be going to the composition chip and the system just sends instructions to that chip to scale and position the game content, without accessing the game's video buffer. So you'd have two buffers, OS and game, and the only place they meet is during composition for final output.

As for DRM, even if in principle they exist, no-one enforces them. You can screen capture on every device under the sun, from PC to tablets to PS4. I can't believe any dev releasing a game would then want to stifle viral marketing by not allowing people to share screens! Especially when they can share videos. The only reason for that is to inhibit pixel counters, and they don't necessarily need screenshots for that (DF captures HDMI out).
What if the reason why taking a screenshot is more complicated than initially thought is that maybe they want users to be able to take a full screenshot of the dashboard -thus involving 3 framebuffer layers at least- so they can show the contents of their console to others? :smile2:

Or what about the reserved CPU cores being a bit overcluttered with functions over time? They record realtime video all the time, plus there are new functions added every day.

What if the reason why taking a screenshot is more complicated than initially thought is that maybe they want users to be able to take a full screenshot of the dashboard -thus involving 3 framebuffer layers at least- so they can show the contents of their console to others? :smile2:

Or what about the reserved CPU cores being a bit overcluttered with functions over time? They record realtime video all the time, plus there are new functions added every day.

Why would the CPU's be doing the video encoding when the GPU has a h264 encoder?. Also I doubt it has to do with the CPU cores being 'cluttered' with functions, to take a screenshot at the level of access that the OS's on the XB1 would have, would be very quick.

Why would the CPU's be doing the video encoding when the GPU has a h264 encoder?. Also I doubt it has to do with the CPU cores being 'cluttered' with functions, to take a screenshot at the level of access that the OS's on the XB1 would have, would be very quick.
Hmmm, sounds reasonable. But I think that it's the CPU taking the screenshot or where you write the code to take the screenshot, so the GPU isn't interrupted -torn frames, tearing and stuff-.

I guess at the pace they are adding new features, the CPUs are getting a higher percentage of use, but I understand what you mean.

What can possibly be so difficult of taking a screenshot of what's currently on the screen? And why would the GPU need to be interrupted? I find it intriguing how such a simple feature can possibly be so complicated.

Since every Xbox One can technically become a dev kit. Wouldn't taking a screenshot or recording information be a basic feature of a dev kit?

I think some people are over complicating the situation.

It's possible that there's a delay in such a feature because they want to create something that is user friendly and not overly complicated. You can see this with the implementation of every new feature so far.

What can possibly be so difficult of taking a screenshot of what's currently on the screen? And why would the GPU need to be interrupted? I find it intriguing how such a simple feature can possibly be so complicated.

Better yet, maybe the question is how do you want screenshot to work? If you're running a game and have an app snap mode, what does the screenshot contain? What do you want it to contain? Do you screen shot the game? Do you screenshot the app? Do you screenshot the composite of game and app?

I want the screenshot to work where I push a button or combination of buttons and then a screenshot of what is currently displayed on the screen is taken. If in snap mode well then let me use the dpad and a combination of buttons to select the game or app to be screen shotted.

Better yet, maybe the question is how do you want screenshot to work? If you're running a game and have an app snap mode, what does the screenshot contain? What do you want it to contain? Do you screen shot the game? Do you screenshot the app? Do you screenshot the composite of game and app?
What if the console is saying to engineers "kiss my bit"? :smile: And maybe that's the actual reason.

It's pretty complicated tbh

http://majornelson.com/2014/10/27/xbox-one-available-349-us-holiday-season/

"Xbox One Available for $349 in the U.S. This Holiday Season"

The Season of Xbox will begin on November 2, when Xbox One will be available for a special, limited-time promotional offer of $349 in the U.S. Special promotional pricing of $50 off the console of your choice applies to any Xbox One console, including special edition bundles, offering some of the year’s most anticipated games – Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and Sunset Overdrive.

It has started...

This bundle with EA Access is seriously the ultimate holiday bundle. $380 for console and I believe 6-7 AAA titles.

http://majornelson.com/2014/10/27/xbox-one-available-349-us-holiday-season/

"Xbox One Available for $349 in the U.S. This Holiday Season"

The Season of Xbox will begin on November 2, when Xbox One will be available for a special, limited-time promotional offer of $349 in the U.S. Special promotional pricing of $50 off the console of your choice applies to any Xbox One console, including special edition bundles, offering some of the year’s most anticipated games – Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and Sunset Overdrive.

It has started...

It's a start... but I'm still betting there will be another price cut around Black Friday or even a better bundling package.

I want the screenshot to work where I push a button or combination of buttons and then a screenshot of what is currently displayed on the screen is taken. If in snap mode well then let me use the dpad and a combination of buttons to select the game or app to be screen shotted.
It's quite puzzling to get what might be there that makes it so complicated, for such an allegedly simple feature.

But this is the exact interview where he says that, at the 6:02 minutes mark.

http://youtu.be/27zQ71xiiBo?t=6m02s

They also talk about the now missing Universal settings, which was a nice feature on the X360.

Senior SOC Physical Design Manager
AMD
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; AMD; Semiconductors industry
November 2010 – Present (4 years)
Currently managing a global team of 80+ PMTS, SMTS, MTS, Senior and Junior Engineers for the XBOX One APU with a planning horizon of 12-24 months.
Successfully planned and executed the first APU for Microsoft’s XBOX One Game Console in 28nm technology and a cost-reduced derivative in 20nm technology.
• Drove technical management to support project teams across multiple geographic locations simultaneously including internal IP, CAD and RTL teams to meet the project schedule.
• Operated as the Physical Design interface to the Microsoft XBOX team resulting in an excellent relationship that has aided in contract negotiations and conflict resolution between the two companies.
• Developed secure flows for customer specific secure IP. This flow was executed on the original product and was then carried forward to 2 successive SOCs.
• Aggressively drove down product costs through area saving initiatives like increased tile utilization and working with IP’s to reduce area, resulting in several million dollars of savings over the ASIC lifetime.
Assembled and grew two cross-site execution teams for 2 successive XBOX APU revisions. This included developing key technical leads into senior positions allowing for successful execution and future team expansion to handle more SOCs.
• Regularly presented program status to AMD and Microsoft senior executives, communicating risk mitigation plans to keep the project on schedule.

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/danielwmcconnell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back