News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and good idea. Propose it on user voice. Though that would be a pretty significant user interaction change so not sure it would gain traction, but can't hurt.

I figured I'd just drop this in here.

Xb0x + Kinect + Forza + 12 Months Live + Destiny for $499

These are the kinds of deals I was expecting on the original sku to start quite a while back. They're still fighting tooth and nail not to drop the actual price though.

And although this is from ebay, it's Newegg doing the selling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-Co...-Only-12-MONTH-Live-Card-Destiny/380984471652

Actually not sure if this is any different than the other deals that have been posted now that I think about it, although this one apparently runs two days longer on ebay than the deal of getting a free game with any bundle purchase runs according to MS and this includes 12 months of live.
Nice bundle, but I think Microsoft marketing could take advantage of some other interesting offers. This was an idea a friend brought up...

Why not sell the Xbox One bundle you mention with the aforementioned 12 months Live and the exclusive service EA Access too? :smile2:

Think about it... All the games from EA that year, with some discounts, some free... I think sometimes MS marketing misses out on things.

The remote function on Smartglass is great. Based on the codes that the Kinect determined, these codes get sent as a package to the smart glass controller. I usually control my television through the cable box remote. I don't even know where the original tv remote is so for example when its time to change inputs so that I can watch my apple tv, I have to actually get up and touch the tv.

The smartglass controller mimics the codes from the original tv controller so I can control even the input selection. It also bypasses the oneguide selection when I choose guide and actually pulls up the native cable guide with full control options.

Im really like this smartglass update. It's what I always thought it should be.

LXP studio is responsible for 2nd incubation project (Kinect is the first one) and a new IP. They want to make sci-fi into science fact. I think LXP is responsible for Microsoft AR Glass. Also Microsoft listed many job openings for various positions in LXP studios.

Senior Program Manager
Microsoft - LXP
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; MSFT; Computer Software industry
September 2013 – Present (1 year 1 month) Redmond, WA

• Manage production of 30+ team working on our 2nd unannounced incubation project (Kinect being the first)
• Responsible for incubating new IP and developing launch plan for multiple products
• Turning science fiction into science fact
Senior Producer
Microsoft - LXP
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; MSFT; Computer Software industry
March 2012 – September 2013 (1 year 7 months) Redmond, WA
Manage production of 30+ team working on our 2nd unannounced incubation project (Kinect being the first)
• Responsible for incubating new IP and developing launch plan for multiple products
• Turning science fiction into science fact

http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasfajt

Here you can find some of the LXP Studio Manager patents for their AR Glass:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/inventor/daniel-mcculloch-kirkland-us-1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft new 360 bundles for the holiday...

15208419321_311e1fe73d.jpg

Major Nelson said:
Xbox 360 500 GB Holiday Value Bundle

This Xbox 360 500 GB bundle includes copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts and Call of Duty: Black Ops II. You also get one month of Xbox Live Gold access for new low price of $249 US.

Xbox 360 Special Edition Blue Bundle

If you decide to pick up the above bundle at Walmart in the US, there’s a special version for you: The Xbox 360 Special Edition Blue Bundle includes an arctic blue console and controller and includes everything mentioned in the bundle above, and also retails for $249.

Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Bundle

The 4GB Kinect Bundle showcases three games – Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, and Forza Horizon – along with one month of Xbox Live Gold access. This bundle also starts at $249, and will be available at Target in the US.

These Xbox 360 bundles begin shipping out to retailers on September 16. Visit your local retailer or head to our online retail portal to pick one up for yourself.

http://majornelson.com/2014/09/12/new-xbox-360-bundles-2014-holiday-season/

Sounds like they're not going any lower on the 4gb w/o Kinect SKU. ERP is officially $200US, but it's been running $180US for awhile. Also wonder what will happen on Xbox One now that the fire sale is now over. I think they will ride out the rest of the year. Though I expect a few more sales, though not sure they will be like last week's.

Tommy McClain

Also wonder what will happen on Xbox One now that the fire sale is now over. I think they will ride out the rest of the year. Though I expect a few more sales, though not sure they will be like last week's.
Tommy McClain

Well, they're still giving away a $50 gift card with any Xb0x purchase, so for right now they've just eliminated the additional free game, but I expect at least that to show back up again as well.

The truly funny thing is that they say "Get the $50 gift card in celebration of Minecraft for Xbox One", and Minecraft is either $4.99 if you already own it on the 360 or $19.99 if you don't.

If the game's only $19.99, why are you giving us $50, MS? Oh, that's right. Because the two things have nothing to do with each other, you just don't want to come out and say "Get an extra $50 gift card because we know our console is priced too high in comparison to the competition." And because you know that doing an actual price cut will only further cement the idea that yours is the less powerful console at this point.

Well, they're still giving away a $50 gift card with any Xb0x purchase, so for right now they've just eliminated the additional free game, but I expect at least that to show back up again as well.

The truly funny thing is that they say "Get the $50 gift card in celebration of Minecraft for Xbox One", and Minecraft is either $4.99 if you already own it on the 360 or $19.99 if you don't.

If the game's only $19.99, why are you giving us $50, MS? Oh, that's right. Because the two things have nothing to do with each other, you just don't want to come out and say "Get an extra $50 gift card because we know our console is priced too high in comparison to the competition." And because you know that doing an actual price cut will only further cement the idea that yours is the less powerful console at this point.

I think its them dipping their toe in the water of price sensitivity with the XBO. They didn't widely advertise the $50 gift card so presumably this was a promotion strictly for the hardcore without having to publicly drop the price. These promotions will at least give them an idea if price is the issue, or its something else.

Microsoft new 360 bundles for the holiday...

Sounds like they're not going any lower on the 4gb w/o Kinect SKU. ERP is officially $200US, but it's been running $180US for awhile. Also wonder what will happen on Xbox One now that the fire sale is now over. I think they will ride out the rest of the year. Though I expect a few more sales, though not sure they will be like last week's.

Tommy McClain

Hmm...I'm tempted to get one of these just for the bigger HDD. I do need a 2nd 360 for system link games. :D

Anyway does anyone know if hooking up a 360 through the X1's HDMI input works well or does the X1 need to be switched on too? Is there any benefit to going through the X1 than a receiver's HDMI inputs?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Xbox one does not have HDMI through when it is turned off.

You won't like the added latency of running any console system through the Xbox one.

The Xbox one does not have HDMI through when it is turned off.

You won't like the added latency of running any console system through the Xbox one.

I'm more interested in knowing about running a HTPC through the HDMI-IN. How about an HTPC running Windows Media Center? Can you control it using Kinect2 voice commands and use the snap feature and all?

Anybody know if anybody has tried this yet? I would imagine that somebody has.

I'm more interested in knowing about running a HTPC through the HDMI-IN. How about an HTPC running Windows Media Center? Can you control it using Kinect2 voice commands and use the snap feature and all?

Yes, I believe there are reports on The Green Button and other home media sites where people have setup Windows Media Center HTPCs through the Xbox one HDMI in and the Kinect can control it. It would be interesting to see how well the Xbox One Smartglass control of such a setup performs.

I don't know what setup options (make / model) you select for that when setting up the XB1.

Anyone else having this issue with the kinectless X1? This is exactly what my X1 does (and apparently many others as well) and why I always think that the X1 is loud as hell in comparison to PS4:

http://youtu.be/YrP-nwdZL9U

- Makes a HDD-like noise when in the dashboard
- goes away when playing a game
- is annoying as hell, and people say that they have replaced it multiple times without improvement, as the new X1 were defective as well
- some people say, they get this even with the kinect X1...when they don't have kinect plugged in
- I wonder how many people think it is normal and don't even know that it is not supposed to sound like this....I thought until now that this is how the X1 noise levels are

Just read that the newest theory is that it is coil whine.

- higher power draw (maybe also when kinect is plugged in) "solves" the issue and the noise goes away...I am a bit surprised atm

- higher power draw (maybe also when kinect is plugged in) "solves" the issue and the noise goes away...I am a bit surprised atm
Surprised that the problem exists or surprised this fixes it?

On the first point it depends how Microsoft tested the device. If they stress tested it but did not test usage as your average user would, then that would explain how such an oddity could slip past QA.

How much is it really an issue though, i.e. how much time do you spend in the dashboard compared to playing games and using apps? I'm only ever in the PS4 dashboard when switching from game/app to another. I'd probably never notice this.

Surprised that the problem exists or surprised this fixes it? On the first point it depends how Microsoft tested the device. If they stress tested it but did not test usage as your average user would, then that would explain how such an oddity could slip past QA. How much is it really an issue though, i.e. how much time do you spend in the dashboard compared to playing games and using apps? I'm only ever in the PS4 dashboard when switching from game/app to another. I'd probably never notice this.
Surprised that there is again a problem with the box. And that I have to mess around again to get it replaced...apparently MS is aware of it... And yes, it is annoying.

Surprised that there is again a problem with the box. And that I have to mess around again to get it replaced...apparently MS is aware of it... And yes, it is annoying.

If they're going to fix it, good on them. They did, after all, make a big deal about Xbox One being a quiet A/V-like price of equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

I have heard about this issue but only since they launched in more places.
I have used my launch X1 with and without Kinect and have never heard it make much noise at all.

Anyone else having this issue with the kinectless X1? This is exactly what my X1 does (and apparently many others as well) and why I always think that the X1 is loud as hell in comparison to PS4:

http://youtu.be/YrP-nwdZL9U

- Makes a HDD-like noise when in the dashboard
- goes away when playing a game
- is annoying as hell, and people say that they have replaced it multiple times without improvement, as the new X1 were defective as well
- some people say, they get this even with the kinect X1...when they don't have kinect plugged in
- I wonder how many people think it is normal and don't even know that it is not supposed to sound like this....I thought until now that this is how the X1 noise levels are
it has nothing to do that it is the kinectless edition. it is still the same box than last years day one edition.
Just send it in so they can repair the problem. Is had to send in mine because of BR problems. one week later I had it back. It is the day one edition and absolute quite. Never heard this thing if no disc is inside.
Describe the problem, normally it should be repaired in no time.

btw. I have the Kinect sensor, but I havn't plugged it in and no problems with any noise.

Works fine, on occasion I have to say "Xbox Pause" twice to get it to work. Not sure why.

I switch to 360 Smartglass though for using as a remote, the X1 Smartglass was quirky but I have not tested it lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back