News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=7&jid=149144&jlang=EN&pp=SS

Associate Producer - Age of Empires
The Age of Empires team is looking for an Associate Producer to join us in taking one of the PC’s best franchises into a new era. Our team is building industry-leading strategy games which showcase our platforms and realize Microsoft’s connected entertainment vision across all Windows driven devices. The Associate Producer will work with multiple teams in various stages of development, both internally and externally.

Business advice for MS on how to handle their console division moved here. Please focus on just news and rumours in this thread. It should be low-volume now.

This article talks about how Xbox One is getting better and better, which I agree with. I have had my share of doubts and hesitations, sometimes felt bad for having a Xbox One, there were always more and more bad news...

But now I am more happy with it, and with the fact that I might not have the most selling console of this generation, but then, this was also true for the other previous generations since my 1st console, the original Xbox, and you know how it went. So...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xbox-one-vs-ps4-how-microsofts-console-getting-better-better-sonys-1458794

*AHEM* Keep the Sony PS4 out of this thread or this site will keep you out of it!

Nice find by Neogaf, a couple Chinese XOne games. One apparently by Epic China called Mercury. The other Neverwinter Online

Right now Black Tusk has about 150 staffs.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/1/5958879/gears-of-war-black-tusk-rod-fergusson

When he started at Black Tusk, Fergusson already had a fairly large team to work with. That's because the studio was already working on another game, he said.

The current team of about 150 is made up of a mix of senior talent from a cross-section of the industry, including people from EA's Radical and Black Box, from Crytek and a mix from all over the world.

"We have a really strong team," he said. "It's built up. I was able to slip in and actually start. On day one we were productive."

Here is a list of some key staffs in BT (it's an old list):

Rod Fergusson - Gears of War Series - Studio Manager
Hanno Lemke - NFS/007 - Studio Manager
Tyler Breon - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune/God of War 3 - Lead Character Artist
Colin Matisz - Fight Night Champion/FIFA - Lighting Artist
Damon Tasker - Timesplitters Future Perfect/Crysis 2 - Lead Gameplay Animator
David Peng - Bioshock: Infinite/Uncharted: Drakes Fortune/Killzone 3/inFamous 2/Uncharted 3 - Senior Gameplay Animator
Kyle Gaulin - Resident Evil 5/Uncharted: Drake's Fortune/Call of Duty: World at War/Dead Rising 3 /Bioshock Infinite/Dark Souls II/Halo 4/Dragon Age: Origins - Cinematics Directo
Sten Huebler - Far Cry/Crysis/Crysis 2 - Senior Designer
Mike Rayner - NFS/SSX - Technical Director
Martin Raymond - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas/Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/Frontlines: Fuel of War - Lead Multiplayer Designer
Åsa Carlsson - Mirror's Edge/Battlefield 2142/Battlefield Bad Company/Battlefield Heroes/Burnout: Takedown - Producer
Damien Galipot - Splinter Cell/XIII/Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow/Splinter Cell Conviction/Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - Senior Level Designer

Madden 15 DD bundle coming Aug. 26 for $399...

madden-15-xbox-one-bundle_960.0.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5966887/xbox-one-bundle-madden-nfl-15-sunset-overdrive

White Sunset Overdrive bundle confirmed, not price or date.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
The Madden bundle will boost sales more than the SO bundle IMO. Will make August NPD interesting.

edit: Oh it's digital. It will still help though.

edit: Oh it's digital. It will still help though.

Thank God, hopefully the rest of the bundles are too. When I get my system early next year, hopefully they will have a good digital game for me. Until they can allow disc games to run without being in the drive, I'm going to always prefer digital.

Tommy McClain

Sure it makes sense if you have unlimited bandwidth and a good connection speed. But it's not a good thing for the mass market just yet. I'm sure the majority of console owners prefer physical.

Still a pretty good value and will surely boost sales in the US. Just not quite as much as a physical copy would IMO.

With all of these bundles, I sense that MS is gonna do a real price drop fairly soon.

The recently announced USB peripheral made me think; was there ever a version planned with built-in tv tuners?
The extra hardware required costs next to nothing; but the devise would appear much more complete from the get go.

The recently announced USB peripheral made me think; was there ever a version planned with built-in tv tuners?
The extra hardware required costs next to nothing; but the devise would appear much more complete from the get go.
Extra hardware costs is never nothing when you are talking about millions of units. Fundamentally it would not shift the ASP of the console up so it would be a margin negative item and likely to go unused for the majority of units sold - doesn't make sense from a cost perspective. Also increases the supply chain issues if different chips are needed for different standards.

Makes far more business sense to have a healthy mark-up on a peripheral than drag is margin down for the entire platform.

Extra hardware costs is never nothing when you are talking about millions of units. Fundamentally it would not shift the ASP of the console up so it would be a margin negative item and likely to go unused for the majority of units sold - doesn't make sense from a cost perspective. Also increases the supply chain issues if different chips are needed for different standards.

Makes far more business sense to have a healthy mark-up on a peripheral than drag is margin down for the entire platform.

HDMI 'passthrough/capture card' / Kinect 2 says hi?

the HDMI passthrough meant that they were wanting to position the One as a multimedia/tv capable device. Why not go all they way and allow the Xbox One to operate alone without the passthrough? That way the user experience would be superior: no IR blaster shenanigans and a pure, fast, Kinect operated TV experience

edit: I am not the only One who expected this functionality from a complete device: http://fortune.com/2013/05/22/the-xbox-one-has-one-major-problem/

HDMI 'passthrough/capture card' / Kinect 2 says hi?

the HDMI passthrough meant that they were wanting to position the One as a multimedia/tv capable device. Why not go all they way and allow the Xbox One to operate alone without the passthrough?

How do you mean? Like including an antenna in hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back