News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, is that literally just a battery in the trousers? Ergo, you have to charge the trousers? I assumed it was something like a kinetic energy recovery system using a bleeding-edge fabric, generating an electrical charge from ordinary movement. If it's just a battery in the trousers, WTF's the point? Buy a separate portable phone charger and use it with any trouser you own. Or no trousers at all. Bet they cost a stupid amount of money too.
It seems to be exactly what it looks like. :oops:
"It will house parts from the Nokia DC-50, a portable wireless charging device with built-in battery, in one of the front pockets of the pants."

"The price point has yet to be set, but Mr Sauvage predicts that the trousers will cost, “over $340”."

"Mr Sauvage failed to make the trousers machine washable."

They could glue the DC-50 to a Pocket Protector instead, so you wouldn't need 5 pairs of $340 pants between the week-end dry cleanings.

That Every Street United thing seems interesting. I watched the first episode. It wasn't great, but not bad. But what the hell is with the delay between episodes? Might have been better to have a shorter time between them, or no time at all the way Netflix puts an entire season of a series up at once.

Sorry, is that literally just a battery in the trousers? Ergo, you have to charge the trousers?

Revision 2 will have solar panels. Unfortunately the wearer will look like an oven-roast chicken. Kinect energy generally to charge the phone would have been cool though!

What do you mean by this? I'm not sure how a $1500 beta-testing product is supposed to set the world alight, and certainly wouldn't base my business strategies on the performance of some other company's crazy-expensive lifestyle product.

There just seems to have been a pretty strong public backlash against Glass. Often seemingly irrational imo, as these things often are, but it was there. Supposed privacy concerns, "omgosh you're secretly videotaping me all the time with your glasses"! Claims that users were snobs to be hated, Etc.

To me it put the whole so called future of "wearable computing" into question. From "this is the hot new future" to now, questionable whether it's the future at all.

Which doesn't surprise me, there seems to be lots of possibly cool implementations in theory, but imo the biggest problem is, most people dont wear glasses (or a watch).

Witcher 3 currently 900P on X1, aiming for 1080 (1080 on PS4).

Not that anybody cares at this point but I recall Thuway or one of those claimed it would be 900P PS4/720P X1, so chalk another miss.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-combat-was-deliberately-easy-cd-projekt-says

Meanwhile, Mamais confirmed that the version of Witcher 3 shown during Microsoft's E3 press conference was indeed running on an Xbox One at 900p resolution and 30 frames per second.

It looked pretty good to our eyes, but Mamais insisted it will end up looking even better by the time development is finished for Witcher 3's February 2015 release date.

"We're still optimising for Xbox One and PS4 so it should look better than that in theory," he said. "But everything we're doing optimisation wise for PS4 and Xbox One, we're also optimising for PC. It's a cross-platform engine, so any optimisation we do for one platform goes into the other platform and just speeds it up, basically."

A 900p resolution is CD Projekt's "minimum", Mamais said. "We will hit 900p no problem. We'd like to get it up to 1080p on Xbox One. That's our goal. Whether we can do it or not I don't know. We've got to squeeze everything we can out of the hardware.

"Microsoft and Sony say 900p is the sweet spot, and there's not a lot of difference visually between 900p and 1080p, but it's a hot topic now. So that's what my goal is."

To this end, CD Projekt is working directly with Microsoft engineers to try to improve the game's performance on Xbox One.

This month Microsoft updated the Xbox Development Kit (XDK) so games that are not using skeletal tracking with Kinect can choose to use the portion of the Xbox One's graphics processing unit that was previously reserved. Now, games have access to 100 per cent of the Xbox One GPU for increased resolution and graphical effects.

Mamais said CD Projekt had yet to take the new XDK out for a spin, but it will, as Witcher 3 does not use Kinect motion.

Also, he claims plenty of 1080P is in Xbox's future, and more confirming of details about the Kinect reservation. Also claims devving on X1 was actually easier due to a familiar Direct X environment, which is a pretty new claim to me, as mostly we've assumed X1 is the troublesome one this gen.
"The voice command side doesn't tap into the GPU side at all, so we can still have Kinect," Mamais said.

"So if you buy Kinect you can use it for voice commands and system commands. It's modest integration for voice. But since it's not using the camera at all we can use any extra power we can take to speed up the GPU."

As expected, on PlayStation 4 Witcher 3 outputs at 1080p resolution.

"It's just a slightly more powerful machine," Mamais said. "That's pretty known. But I think in the longer run everything is going to be on both platforms running at 1080p. It's just taking developers longer to do it than they expected because the architecture is a little more challenging on the Xbox One.

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox.

"But we anticipate being able to do 1080p on PS4 a little bit easier than on the Xbox."

The details about kinect reservation was explained by Microsoft some days ago. I posted the link before. Voice commands are system wide, even in games using the 10% reserved GPU.

Not that anybody cares at this point but I recall Thuway or one of those claimed it would be 900P PS4/720P X1, so chalk another miss.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-combat-was-deliberately-easy-cd-projekt-says

Also, he claims plenty of 1080P is in Xbox's future, and more confirming of details about the Kinect reservation. Also claims devving on X1 was actually easier due to a familiar Direct X environment, which is a pretty new claim to me, as mostly we've assumed X1 is the troublesome one this gen.

As I read his statement it seems to me that PS4 isn't 1080p right now but their goal for PS4 is 1080p (like XB1) and he said it should be more difficult to reach 1080p on XB1 (more complicated HW).

They said same thing about XB1 (being easier to develop) before, it's not new. They are PC developers and XB1 API is DX 11.x (the "x" stands for specific features that MS put in XB1's API or/and HW, in hot-chips conference presenter mentioned that XB1 has DX 11.x hardware feature GPU). It should be interesting to see developers going after DX12/XB1 optimization in near future.

I don't know how much this kinda of stuff will really matter anymore. My Nokia 1520 easily goes 2 days on one charge, I don't even bother charging it every night anymore because I know it will last anyways. Granted that's a 6" phone but with people rapidly gravitating to 5"+ phones it seems like all day battery life will be the norm soon, and even longer with newer hardware designs.

Gone 4-days with it, and now I don't bother charging daily. Last 8.1 update did some goofy stuff, and IE was eating up my battery though, so I had to change its settings. It really does make my wife's 920 feel like a toy, the size does not bother me anymore. Awkward stares in public are still common place, but who is to say why!

To tie this back into Xbox news somehow - the new smartglass cable remote is a bit clunky I think. Much easier to just use the normal smartglass remote, but the guide is a nice addition.

As I read his statement it seems to me that PS4 isn't 1080p right now but their goal for PS4 is 1080p (like XB1) and he said it should be more difficult to reach 1080p on XB1 (more complicated HW).

They said same thing about XB1 (being easier to develop) before, it's not new. They are PC developers and XB1 API is DX 11.x (the "x" stands for specific features that MS put in XB1's API or/and HW, in hot-chips conference presenter mentioned that XB1 has DX 11.x hardware feature GPU). It should be interesting to see developers going after DX12/XB1 optimization in near future.

It's good to see 10% for kinect freeup, and one would think another small but substantial gain for DX12 as well. I'd guesstimate that could be combined 20% or more found performance for Xbox One.

Wasn't 10% the entire system reserve?.

When the game is running fullscreen it should have access to nearly 100% of the GPU. There isn't much else the GPU to be doing other than displaying on-screen notifications, or maybe playing a video in a snapped app. When you go to the home screen the system automatically pulls back the 10% to be used for Kinect skeletal processing.

10% for Direct3D 12 sounds like wishful thinking. I'd expect some small gains, but not 10%. I'd imagine gains would more likely come from the new API providing a little more freedom, maybe opening up some new ways of doing things, rather than an outright reduction in overhead and immediate gains.

10% for Direct3D 12 sounds like wishful thinking. I'd expect some small gains, but not 10%. I'd imagine gains would more likely come from the new API providing a little more freedom, maybe opening up some new ways of doing things, rather than an outright reduction in overhead and immediate gains.
It's also important to note that gains from API modifications are generally very hard to label as "% increase." It's going to depend significantly on what you're telling the console to do, and how.

It sounds like it's easier to get up and running (which is expected, you can toss vanilla DX11 code in it and the game will run), but trickier to get to the same performance level.

He doesn't say anything about exclusives:

GamesBeat: At this point, do you already have a lot of console titles in the works? Or are you still in a conception stage?

Xiao: We have some studios working on projects already, building specifically for Xbox One. Not only Chinese studios, but also studios we’ve acquired in the west. We have at least three studios working on console at this time. By the time Xbox One launches in China, we hope to be among the titles initially offered on the platform. We’ve been working for a while. We didn’t ask all of our studios to start developing console-based games, but we have two or three working already. After the launch, once we see the initial reaction, then we’ll decide on fuller investment in the consoles.

It's likely one of the titles reference is actually Blacklight: Retribution which has been on PS4 since launch. He speaks more specifically about Xbox One because they have a launch date for that system in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back