News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinect v2 article - over at MS

I like the picture of X1's in the vertical position. ;)

Edit @ eastmen - DRM is the evil of Media Center right now. :(

it is , while being able to stream live tv is a step forward unless these programs can also play back recorded content they are worthless :(

I doubt they paid the license cost to implement PlayReady DRM, so I'd guess any and all channels flagged as anything but open won't be usable with MB3 LiveTV plugin. Last i checked, Microsoft is the only PC software developer I know of that has picked up the PlayReadyDRM license.

The only hope for us is SiliconDust releasing their CableCatd Transcoding tuner. The fact that they transcode to x264 should allow them to sidestep the DRM clusterfuck.

I doubt they paid the license cost to implement PlayReady DRM, so I'd guess any and all channels flagged as anything but open won't be usable with MB3 LiveTV plugin. Last i checked, Microsoft is the only PC software developer I know of that has picked up the PlayReadyDRM license.

The only hope for us is SiliconDust releasing their CableCatd Transcoding tuner. The fact that they transcode to x264 should allow them to sidestep the DRM clusterfuck.

yea but that would require all new tuners which wont be cheap.

Really wish ms would wake up as Media center done right could be a killer app

What's the difference between media center and Plex?

No experience with Media Center, but Plex is great...

you build an htpc with a tuner and you can watch live tv / record it . With extenders you can share your tuner around the house.

I have 3 centon 4 tuners that each tune 4 channels at once. So I can record / watch 12 things at once.

using extenders like the xbox 360 around the house they have acess to live tv / dvrs.

I pay $3 or $4 per cable card to cablevision vs $10 for a standard box and $15 - $25 for a dvr (depending on how many channels it will tune or if its a full house one)

So it lets me save a lot of money monthly. Plus then since I built a small htpc I can add as much storage as I would like.

Kinect v2 article - over at MS

I like the picture of X1's in the vertical position. ;)

Edit @ eastmen - DRM is the evil of Media Center right now. :(

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/images/2014/letters.gif

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/images/2014/wheel.gif

Those are very high resolution infrared pictures. I wonder how accurate would be to track through this image instead of the depth data (that seems noiser/lower res).

Even the fingers look perfectly trackable at a glance.

Been away for a few days sorry for the delay.

I thought the console required that games be installed (it seems to be what Microsoft's support pages say), and you can't start playing until a pretty large fraction of the game has been installed, so this approach would literally require users to cache lots of gigs of data from a bluray drive before starting a game every time they switched out a disc. Or the game wasn't on a bluray (i.e. you purchased it online, or are using a hypothetical sans-bluray SKU), you'd have to download lots of gigs of data every time you switched out a game.

There's nothing to stop them from changing things. They can make hard drive optional only on newer games, but older games would still require a hard drive. Not saying it's likely considering the following, but last gen there were games required a hard drive,

In that quote only the part needing an active gold membership to play the free games is Xbox One specific, everything else is not.

edit Like this:

**Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. Must download titles during designated window. Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games.

-On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded.

Ahhh, Thanks for the that. After reading it again, I agree it's probably meant for the 360. Sorry for the misunderstanding & the derailing. Carry on.

Tommy McClain

There's nothing to stop them from changing things. They can make hard drive optional only on newer games, but older games would still require a hard drive.
The XB1 is already receiving criticism for long load times.

You certainly could get rid of the install requirement, but the reason it exists is that optical drive speeds haven't exactly increased at the same speed as stuff like memory size.

The XB1 is already receiving criticism for long load times.

You certainly could get rid of the install requirement, but the reason it exists is that optical drive speeds haven't exactly increased at the same speed as stuff like memory size.

Yeah, I've been criticizing that they missed an opportunity not trying to implement something like Numecent/Approxy's Cloudpaging technology. With something like they could get by with less hard drive space. I know Cloudgine is supposed to help more with the gameplay mechanics side of cloud gaming, but maybe they have something that help with streaming games?

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I've been criticizing that they missed an opportunity not trying to implement something like Numecent/Approxy's Cloudpaging technology. With something like they could get by with less hard drive space. I know Cloudgine is supposed to help more with the gameplay mechanics side of cloud gaming, but maybe they have something that help with streaming games?

Tommy McClain
Numecent's technology did sound interesting. Has it shown up in a product yet?

What do you think about E3 conference? I'm a Little bit disappointed, not megaton, but I'm happy because there are some 2014 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back