News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal expectation is that if anyone announced an optical-less console the internal hard drive would be of a higher capacity than the current standard capacities.

with external storage there is no need for an internal HDD just enough flash to hold the OS.

It would be just like the PS2 but instead of not having the ability to save games out the box you won't have the ability to even play a game out the box.

It would be like selling a car with no fuel tank.

A SKU that literally requires users to get external 3rd-party hardware in order to play games sounds like a questionable idea in the console space. It would provide versatility and cost scaling to the consumer, but "power brick + console + 3rd-party external HDD" as a basic functionality requirement seems like it would be a mess.

I dunno, after the original Xbox benefited so much from giving everyone a hard drive, I was hoping to never see a console without a built-in HDD again. Then the 360 happened, and the existence of HDD-less SKUs hindered devs who wanted to use installs or HDD caching. That particular issue would be dealt with by the requirement to install, since everyone needs an HDD, but still... we're literally talking about selling a game console that can't play games out of the box.

I wouldn't waste money on a standalone BR player if I'm gonna get it in a console. If I buy a system without a disc drive I'd player have to spend more money on the player then what I can save on the console.

Then again I also don't have a PS3, and some people may already have a "home theater" system that includes a player on top of the speakers and booster...

No hard drive doesn't necessarily mean can't play games out of the box. They could include additional flash storage over the 16gb that's already included. The same was done with the 4gb 360. They could save some space not having an internal hard drive & bump the flash to 32gb & then sell an official external USB 3.0 hard drive. Remember the disclaimer "hard drive required for some games". So to me it means some games can run off disc or internal flash.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
No hard drive doesn't necessarily mean can't play games out of the box. They could include additional flash storage over the 16gb that's already included. The same was done with the 4gb 360. They could save some space not having an internal hard drive & bump the flash to 32gb & then sell an official external USB 3.0 hard drive. Remember the disclaimer "hard drive required for some games". So to me it means some games can run off disc or internal flash.

Tommy McClain
I thought the console required that games be installed (it seems to be what Microsoft's support pages say), and you can't start playing until a pretty large fraction of the game has been installed, so this approach would literally require users to cache lots of gigs of data from a bluray drive before starting a game every time they switched out a disc. Or the game wasn't on a bluray (i.e. you purchased it online, or are using a hypothetical sans-bluray SKU), you'd have to download lots of gigs of data every time you switched out a game.

Screens from Forza Horizon 2:

forza-horizon-2-screenshot-five-ign720.jpg

forza-horizon-2-screenshot-one-ign720.jpg

forza-horizon-2-screenshot-three-ign720.jpg

forza-horizon-2-screenshot-two-ign720.jpg

**Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded. Must download titles during designated window. Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games.

In that quote only the part needing an active gold membership to play the free games is Xbox One specific, everything else is not.

edit Like this:

**Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. Must download titles during designated window. Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games.

-On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be just like the PS2 but instead of not having the ability to save games out the box you won't have the ability to even play a game out the box.

It would be like selling a car with no fuel tank.

Yup. The last thing MS needs to do is redefine the "tard pack" to something even worse than it has ever been.

It would be a huge slap to the generation as well.

Not really. The games all need to be installed. That wouldn't change. So someone would unknowingly bring home a console and expect to be able to play games on it, but would find out they need to go out and buy an external drive for game installs. Probably would lead to a lot of unhappy customers. Worst idea ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back