News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are all evasive and keep their plans close to their chest. What makes you think my opinion was unique towards MS's response?

One can argue that, but it's immaterial. Selling Kinect was never an argument for selling the whole division. I repeat, it is only presented as proof that evasive answers aren't useful answers. The only true denial would be something like, "We have a 3 year plan for XB1 including non-negotiable, non-transferable contracts for production. We are not going to be selling the Gaming Division any time before then." And we never get such answers. This is how rumours get to persist even without much merit to them, because they are as hard to disprove as they are to prove.

Read Penello's argument's in favour of Kinect. Kinect is fundamental to the DNA of XB1, yet it's gone. Now look at an argument saying XBox is a vital part of the DNA of MS's long-term strategy. A change in plans can see the gaming division dropped just as well (this can happen for Sony or Nintendo, and does. Just needs a catalyst. Shareholders telling Sony to sell Playstation, or shareholders telling Nintendo to release on mobile).

Every thing could happen for every company, I could accept that. But you can't use Nadella's today statement for something that maybe could happen 5-10 years later and call it a lie or unimportant statement.

There's no correlation other than denial does not necessarily equate to the truth or what will happen.

Today both XB1 & Kinect are strong and advanced devices that every other company wishes to have. Why should Microsoft left behind this products for it's rivals? It's better to read Nadella's statement about Bing:

The same goes for Microsoft's Bing business, Nadella said, adding that while some people might look at Bing only as a website, it's been deeply integrated with a number of Microsoft products. It also accounts for approximately 30 percent of the search market, he said, and should therefore be compared to Apple's iPhone if you were to imagine it as a player in the smartphone market.

And no, Kinect isn't gone. ;)

Xbox One interface is basically the same than Xbox 360, but with fewer options. As I said, LB and RB can jump from section to section (only 3 sections, pins, home and Store, less than Xbox 360), and use your stick or d-pad for selecting options, the same than Xbox 360.

For example:

- Press the guide button (the xbox logo) and you will travel to the Home section.
- LB to go pins section or RB to go Store section.
- Up/down/left/right and "A" button for selecting things.

That's all, I don't know why people can't drive this.
I will point out the issue to you here, which I think you will at least consider, and the point is that almost nothing isn't as straightforward as it used to be.

My favourite thing about the new interface is how messages are handled, and also having a couple of games/apps highlighted in the home menu as your most recently used ones.

Other than that, the Xbox interface is, at least to me, ugly as a sin, without a background, and the navigation can be slow -well, not the navigation itself but jumping from option A to option B, so to say-.

Parties and some other stuff are still not as easy to use as before.

One of the things I miss the most about the Xbox 360 interface is that when a friend went online and they felt like partying, they would invite me in a jiffy, or I'd invite them.

The same can't be said now. The interface and the way parties are handled doesn't push me to try to invite someone to a party, plus the X button on the X360 brought up all those things in a very useful text interface.

It sends you home on the Xbox One, and you have to deal again with the whole interface and repeat some steps. I am kinda lazy for those things and hate wasting my time.

Xbox One interface is much better than 360s. That fan made one looks like shit.
It might well look like that -although not to me-, but it has an actual background to begin with, and we mustn't lose sight of the fact that it would speed up navigation like 100 times.

You have everything at hand without losing a moment going home, friends, messages, find someone, go to options (try all that on the Xbox One and the current interface), check your apps..., etc, and with my 200 friends list I can tell you, it's tedious.

Maybe it's just me. But I am glad that totalxbox.com has an article on an interface like that, it means that there is some hope some things will change and found it interesting/special.

There has been some progression, but most important things on the X360 were plain to see by pressing the home button.

That will invite even more speculation.

Saying you have "no plans.." is simple and sufficient. It doesn't tip your hand nor does it fuel speculation. It's a safe non-answer.
Right, but Shifty's question was what do you say if you do have plans. You can't, or shouldn't, outright lie about. See Dave Baumann's post.

It's also worth stating that an interviewee doesn't have to answer all of the question asked. Most journalists do not behave like Jeremy Paxman and will not ask questions to the point of being rude. As an interviewer, if your questions are not being answered, even having asked in different ways, you move on otherwise you're just wasting your time and opportunity to get answers on other things.

I will point out the issue to you here, which I think you will at least consider, and the point is that almost nothing isn't as straightforward as it used to be.

My favourite thing about the new interface is how messages are handled, and also having a couple of games/apps highlighted in the home menu as your most recently used ones.

Other than that, the Xbox interface is, at least to me, ugly as a sin, without a background, and the navigation can be slow -well, not the navigation itself but jumping from option A to option B, so to say-.

Parties and some other stuff are still not as easy to use as before.

One of the things I miss the most about the Xbox 360 interface is that when a friend went online and they felt like partying, they would invite me in a jiffy, or I'd invite them.

The same can't be said now. The interface and the way parties are handled doesn't push me to try to invite someone to a party, plus the X button on the X360 brought up all those things in a very useful text interface.

It sends you home on the Xbox One, and you have to deal again with the whole interface and repeat some steps. I am kinda lazy for those things and hate wasting my time.

It might well look like that -although not to me-, but it has an actual background to begin with, and we mustn't lose sight of the fact that it would speed up navigation like 100 times.

You have everything at hand without losing a moment going home, friends, messages, find someone, go to options (try all that on the Xbox One and the current interface), check your apps..., etc, and with my 200 friends list I can tell you, it's tedious.

Maybe it's just me. But I am glad that totalxbox.com has an article on an interface like that, it means that there is some hope some things will change and found it interesting/special.

There has been some progression, but most important things on the X360 were plain to see by pressing the home button.

Since they patched the ui, I do not find friend navigation slow.

Looks like a screenshot feature is in the works for the XB1:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/471475293174382592

Wondering how this would work. Any thoughts? Could be easy for people with Kinect but it will be interesting to see how they implement a screenshot feature to those who buy the $399 model.

A good place would be the menu for when you hold the Xbox button.

That's a very good place to put many shortcuts, instead of just listing power off options.

MS have announced the $399 kinectless sku launch day of E3.

What if at E3 they announce a kinect-less, BR-less, HDD-less model for $299?

Where is the hype??

Forza Horizon 2!!

For Xbox One and Xbox 360.

:smile:

original.jpg

Voodoo Vince?

voodoo.png

Go Phil!!! You are the best thing that could happen to the Xbox, and Below developer Nathan Vella agrees:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ph...-a-f-ing-million-miles-dev-says/1100-6419921/

NaoHbWN.gif

I wonder though, after so many announcements pre-E3, what's left that is worthy to keep secret for the E3?

MS have announced the $399 kinectless sku launch day of E3.

What if at E3 they announce a kinect-less, BR-less, HDD-less model for $299?

BR-less sure but not without an HD any time soon. Also too early to announce that. They already sacrificed quite a few sales when they announced the kinectless version, why sacrifice more ? I am sure they want to see how E3 and the kintectless sku affect sales for a while before introducing something like that. Also they may wanna spin a cost reduced version of the MB and case along with removing the Bluray drive to save more and that will take some time to happen.

BR-less sure but not without an HD any time soon. Also too early to announce that. They already sacrificed quite a few sales when they announced the kinectless version, why sacrifice more ? I am sure they want to see how E3 and the kintectless sku affect sales for a while before introducing something like that. Also they may wanna spin a cost reduced version of the MB and case along with removing the Bluray drive to save more and that will take some time to happen.

with external storage there is no need for an internal HDD just enough flash to hold the OS.

with external storage there is no need for an internal HDD just enough flash to hold the OS.

Ah that way. So MS would be selling a system that couldn't do much more that watch TV and scroll through menus until a hard drive was attached. It's possible but it might be a bit confusing to consumers. I mean I'd be interested and of course warnings would about on the box and during setup that to actual use the machine you would have to attach a USB 3.0 drive but then again this would have to be a fairly big seller I would think and that would mean a fairly large and largely technically naive demographic would have to buy the thing. It's a thought though.

Hmm I don't know, I'd put odds at maybe 10%, but it's not completely outlandish. Would be a nice megaton.

MS has announced so much pre-show, one wonders if the problem will be, they have no megatons left.

Pachter has his MS e3 predict video up, FWIW he said he doesn't expect anything particularly huge or Earth shattering (just one man's opinion though not inside info).

Hmm I don't know, I'd put odds at maybe 10%, but it's not completely outlandish. Would be a nice megaton.

I can see it happening. Remember the announcement about Games with Gold on Xbone...

AzBat said:
What I find interesting is the disclaimer on the Xbox One Games with Gold feature mentions "Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games." Why mention hard drive if you don't plan on releasing a SKU without one?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1846600&highlight=hard+drive#post1846600

Remember there is 16GB flash on board.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back