News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be amazing, if MS announces VR we might get a VR revolution after all. It's the only platform without announcement yet, and Occulus said they don't care about consoles. It has to happen everywhere at the same time. so that third parties can make games cross-platform for PC, PS4, XB1.

I have doubts about kinect because lag is supposed to be the worst enemy of VR. All currently announced VR products have 240Hz to 1000Hz acquisition, and Kinect is 30Hz. If your hands move with a lag in the game compared to your brain (kinesthetic awareness), the brain will go "barf".

If you are using VR you are not seeing your real hand so it should be better than having both your real body and the delayed Kinect feed to make the lag more noticeable.

I have my doubts that VR will show up, I think it was part of what was killed off from the original leaks. I want to see it, but I don't yet see it.

More than just Rift is showing up, add Totem, Glyph, Morpheus, Gameface (which is 2.5k res) - but when and where they go on sale is still open. So would MS really be ready to release a product? Can the console handle it? Just too many doubts for me, IMO.

IMHO, a weareable device, Xbox One and smartphones compatible, will be better than a Xbox One peripherical.

For example, a smartwatch, with bluetooth support (for smartphone compatibility) and compatible with Kinect and the Xbox Fitness app, can be a success devices.

EDIT: Or the rumored smartglasses, like the google glass.

That pic is the "my games & apps" view, which was added within the last couple of months.

I meant the icon on the pop up, looks like two applications snapped to the right of another app.

But I don't remember if the pop up icon was always like this, and I'm not at home to check XD

:???: Are you saying some regions are only going to get the Kinect-free version because MS couldn't get voice control working for them?

The party-line reason given by MS for removing the Kinect was due to their inability to launch in regions due to poor voice control with Kinect. They couldn't get it to work.

So I'm assuming that means those regions will only get the Kinect-free boxes, it makes little sense otherwise.

Then again, I assume once the current "bundles" are sold through there won't be two versions anyway.

I have my doubts that VR will show up, I think it was part of what was killed off from the original leaks. I want to see it, but I don't yet see it.
And unless Microsoft have been working on their VR solution in the interim, they have a lot of engineering work to catch up. I thought I had a fairly good grasp of the problems associated with bringing VR to consumers until I watched Sony's GDC presentation then I realised there was a ton of engineering issues to solve - Sony have been working on their kit since 2009, and if it released next year it will have been six years in the making.

The smarter (quick/easy) solution for Microsoft, if they want in on VR, would be to cut a deal with Occulus. Microsoft and Facebook already partner on other things so the relationship already exists. And getting OR's APIs into One would ease the porting work from PC.

It looks like Halo 5 is not the only one Halo in development:

Your Journey Begins in 2014
Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a “journey,” rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that “Halo” fans will be pretty excited about the special plans we have in store.

"Giant leap" is a hint...

A remastered Halo 2 Anniversary is expected or are you talking about a completely new game. Who do you think are developing it, Microsoft don't exactly have a ton AAA studios. Although they could do a non-mainstream (RTS/RPG) Halo game.

A remastered Halo 2 Anniversary is expected or are you talking about a completely new game. Who do you think are developing it, Microsoft don't exactly have a ton AAA studios. Although they could do a non-mainstream (RTS/RPG) Halo game.

I guess it s H2A remake, and HD versions of Halo 3 and 4.

I don't understand the "Giant Leap" reference, unless the new Halo has something to do with Neil Armstrong on the moon.

Isn't there a big "leap" in a level in Halo 2?

And unless Microsoft have been working on their VR solution in the interim, they have a lot of engineering work to catch up. I thought I had a fairly good grasp of the problems associated with bringing VR to consumers until I watched Sony's GDC presentation then I realised there was a ton of engineering issues to solve - Sony have been working on their kit since 2009, and if it released next year it will have been six years in the making.

The smarter (quick/easy) solution for Microsoft, if they want in on VR, would be to cut a deal with Occulus. Microsoft and Facebook already partner on other things so the relationship already exists. And getting OR's APIs into One would ease the porting work from PC.

I am curious to see just how far their AR work went, and if we will ever see what it was. I am skeptical of how that would work, I have had bad luck with other VR devices in the past and shutter glasses because of my own glasses. My Sony set won't even fit with my new glasses. It is only 480i and gives me a screaming eye ache anyway, LOL I just had to have it. ;) I keep going back and forth about getting the Crystal Cove dev kit, I don't have the time to work with it, but I do want to play with it.

It looks like one of the VR headsets I listed is aiming for a 2015 release at $499. So another barrier would be that, at I guess AR could be a cheaper product maybe. It is interesting, VR has been around for a long time yet we are still trying to work through some of its problems. I forgot that MS did buy some AR patents, that was rather recent. That company has pretty advanced work already out there. It could be unrelated to Xbox maybe, or we might see it show up next week at the Surface event.

What is Delve, and did anyone ever see anything more about XboxAB?

Wait, doesn't Microsoft have a new dev studio called LEAP with an astronaut as the logo? Maybe my Neil Armstrong reference was more relevant than I intended it to be.

Edit: LXP Leap Experience Pioneers
http://www.neowin.net/news/new-trademark-filing-by-microsoft-is-for-leap-experience-pioneers

Whatever they were, the trademark shows as dead now. Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you watch the Oculus + 3 Kinect video?
I for one didn't. Is it on Youtube? Gotta make a search. I hope it works 'cos I am getting a gazillion failed attempts to see youtuve videos, and this webpage appears https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com .

Google seem to want me to use Chrome, and it ain't happenin, I don't like Chrome.

Wow, you're taking this really hard. I'd leave the thing plugged in and keep using the voice control if you enjoy it. If you unplug the thing out of spite, you're just cheating yourself out of something you actually like to use.

While I think Kinect is being lowered significantly as a priority, it's not dead. The next update is supposed to offer an opt-in program to help improve voice recognition. I know I'm going to take part. As much as I'm not happy that's it's been shifted to peripheral status, I still like it as a peripheral, and I'll take any improvements I can get.
:smile2: Well, I got way too involved with Kinect, got into discussions, tried to be positive on it, wasted lots of energy, all for naught.

It was one of those wake up calls. It's not the first, I hope it is the last. I also bet on 3DTVs, :( and sometimes you bet on people and things go wrong too.

It's a matter of priorities now. To me the priority is to enjoy and have fun using the Xbox One. :smile2:

Whatever people say, I am glad I have the Xbox One 'cos I am a lifelong Xbox fan and will always be, no matter what. :)

It was my first console when I purchased it back in 2004, it brought me great moments of joy all these years, and I don't forget that.

I know of Sony fans for live, Sega fans for live, and I am a Xbox fan for live too -whether it succeeds or not, no console can come close to it, 'cos I can't repeat those moments nor go back-.

There are also eternal Nintendo fans that sold their soul to Nintendo. Nintendo failed at times, Sony too, Xbox failed at times, it's a pretty natural thing.

So I can't be bothered with market studies and so on, nothing will change the fact that Xbox managed to create a culture and a fanbase around it. :smille2:

I can see a good future for the Xbox One if they don't twist with the wind, and are loyal to what made them what they become in the first place.

Life long Xbox fan? No kidding.

I've got an X1. It seems fine to me. I'm happy with it. I could probably be just as happy with a PS4, but I'm a little more interested in the X1 exclusives than the PS4 ones.

At this point, I'm just interested in seeing where the software goes. We should be getting a new software update soon. Hopefully that external drive support is in. I read about an opt-in Kinect voice collection thing, to help improve voice recognition. I'll opt in to that.

Found this summary of the latest update the beta testers got:
Updates to help address issues where Game DVR clips may be recorded without audio.
Underlying OS changes required to enable planned 1405 features.
Get System Update button change. This update changes how the system update button works under Settings->System. Now the button will say “No update available” and be greyed out when there is no update, and it will say “Update console” and be active when an update is available.
Update to address issues some issues users noticed where Party Chat would be quiet unless the Party App is snapped.

The interesting part is "Underlying OS changes required to enable planned 1405 features." So there are some May features that haven't shown up in the beta yet. One could be the external drive support.

Life long Xbox fan? No kidding.

I've got an X1. It seems fine to me. I'm happy with it. I could probably be just as happy with a PS4, but I'm a little more interested in the X1 exclusives than the PS4 ones.

At this point, I'm just interested in seeing where the software goes. We should be getting a new software update soon. Hopefully that external drive support is in. I read about an opt-in Kinect voice collection thing, to help improve voice recognition. I'll opt in to that.

Found this summary of the latest update the beta testers got:
Updates to help address issues where Game DVR clips may be recorded without audio.
Underlying OS changes required to enable planned 1405 features.
Get System Update button change. This update changes how the system update button works under Settings->System. Now the button will say “No update available” and be greyed out when there is no update, and it will say “Update console” and be active when an update is available.
Update to address issues some issues users noticed where Party Chat would be quiet unless the Party App is snapped.

The interesting part is "Underlying OS changes required to enable planned 1405 features." So there are some May features that haven't shown up in the beta yet. One could be the external drive support.
The DVR bug in your list sounds familiar, but the rest of the thing you mention don't.

The update we are getting seems minor, save the news about the external drive support that XpiderMX has shared. I think the kinda ugly dashboard interface of the Xbox One needs some time to thrive.

Not sure if I will opt in to voice recognition speech. I talk very little to Kinect but it is very useful when I do though. Perhaps I will, but I won't hold my breath on it. --maybe there will be a compelling experience with Kinect some day, but I don't bother with that now tbh.

It's nice to talk about these little things for a change. It is quite the contrast from the earlier days of the Xbox On. I miss the X360 days were there wasn't as much turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back