News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy seems to be standing by his statement, saying games will run twice as fast.

https://twitter.com/draginol/status/452218254572810240

Maybe the API at launch really wasn't that good. Maybe they didn't spend too much time on it because they knew DX12 was coming. Seems odd. I'm inclined to believe the gains will not be nearly what he's claiming them to be, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they're measurable, despite a lot of people saying it won't make a difference.

If they really want to prove something and make a splash, announce DX12 1080p patches for COD and BF4 at E3.

THIS is what we need!

Best XBO news in awhile!

If they really want to prove something and make a splash, announce DX12 1080p patches for COD and BF4 at E3.

Best XBO news in awhile!

why ? in a few months we will have a new cod and bf. Why patch games that are already getting replaced ?

They should be working on titan fall and getting that to 900p or 1080p. But with titanfall it could be the source engine giving them problems

why ? in a few months we will have a new cod and bf. Why patch games that are already getting replaced ?

They should be working on titan fall and getting that to 900p or 1080p. But with titanfall it could be the source engine giving them problems

That too but the spirit of my point was that announcements like this are certainly positive, but if they want the core gamers to stand up and take notice, getting these titles to 1080p would signify a tangible improvement backing up their claims.

Best XBO news in awhile!

+1!!!!!!!

To me its just as important that this signals a willingness to open up the ecosystem to applications that provide functionality which has historically been reserved for the system OS, its a sign they are opening up. For example, they could now theoretically allow Cyberlink to sell a high end Blu-Ray app with proper 3D support, etc...

really just want media extender so I can replace the 360s

I've read that, in terms of performance, the Plex web interface works rather well on PS4, so it's likely too on Xbox One too - probably better given how naff the PS4 browser is. I don't know about the UI though, which is key.

I was skirting the XBMC forums earlier today and the mods have posted that ports for game consoles are unlikely at this time, which is a shame.

really just want media extender so I can replace the 360s

An media exterder universal app... Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Xbox One... Wow...

I've read that, in terms of performance, the Plex web interface works rather well on PS4, so it's likely too on Xbox One too - probably better given how naff the PS4 browser is. I don't know about the UI though, which is key.

I prefer a Plex app, I don't like the web UI, but the Xbox One Internet Explorer works fine with Plex.

I was skirting the XBMC forums earlier today and the mods have posted that ports for game consoles are unlikely at this time, which is a shame.

:(

That too but the spirit of my point was that announcements like this are certainly positive, but if they want the core gamers to stand up and take notice, getting these titles to 1080p would signify a tangible improvement backing up their claims.

That could be done by announcing 1080p for the new COD and BF without all the backtracking and dedicating resources to old titles soon to be replaced.

The guy seems to be standing by his statement, saying games will run twice as fast.

Maybe the API at launch really wasn't that good. Maybe they didn't spend too much time on it because they knew DX12 was coming. Seems odd. I'm inclined to believe the gains will not be nearly what he's claiming them to be, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they're measurable, despite a lot of people saying it won't make a difference.

Didn't I read that XB1 is no longer using 3 virtual machine operating systems & are now just using 3 Windows 8 OSes? Could that not double the performance & not just running DX12?

Found it..

http://channel9.msdn.com/?wt.mc_id=build_hp#videoHolder

Xbox one platform build 2014

Host OS with two vms, shared and game. Too slow. Rejiggered and now called partitions and both game OS and app OS are win8 based.

Original xb1 is referenced as Xbox Prime.

Tommy McClain

Didn't I read that XB1 is no longer using 3 virtual machine operating systems & are now just using 3 Windows 8 OSes? Could that not double the performance & not just running DX12?

Found it..
No, that was a misunderstanding of what the guy said. What he said is that they _started out_ as generic VMs capable of running any OS, but now they can only run the XBox OS's they've been customized for. They're still VMs, and there are still 3 custom OS images.

Best XBO news in awhile!

That could be done by announcing 1080p for the new COD and BF without all the backtracking and dedicating resources to old titles soon to be replaced.

I don't think that would have the same impact as showing a baseline, then an improvement. The point it seems they are trying to get across is that "its much faster now", in that regard i think the 'before and after' approach has more merit.

Still sounds like complete nonsense to me.

1. He claims DX11 is single core. It's not. It may be main thread heavy but there's still plenty of scope to split work across multiple threads.
2. He claims DX12 will allow all 8 cores to be used - guess he means 6 considering that's all that's exposed to games.
3. Why the hell would better CPU multitheading = 2x GPU power?
4. He claims PS4 could get a similar "huge" boost by moving to Mantle even though repi (one of the key designers of mantle) says it would offer no benefit to the PS4.

I don't care who he is, the guys talking gibberish.

1. He claims DX11 is single core. It's not. It may be main thread heavy but there's still plenty of scope to split work across multiple threads.
2. He claims DX12 will allow all 8 cores to be used - guess he means 6 considering that's all that's exposed to games.
4. He claims PS4 could get a similar "huge" boost by moving to Mantle even though repi (one of the key designers of mantle) says it would offer no benefit to the PS4.

Yah. Nothing he's saying sounds legit. I think he's just looking at the DX12 info provided by Microsoft for the PC, and assuming the situation will be the same on X1.

No, that was a misunderstanding of what the guy said. What he said is that they _started out_ as generic VMs capable of running any OS, but now they can only run the XBox OS's they've been customized for. They're still VMs, and there are still 3 custom OS images.

Ahh. Thanks for the education. ;) One of the biggest reasons I keep coming here. I can always count on somebody to set me straight. Thanks Bkilian!

Tommy McClain

Well, if there was a bottleneck caused by DX being too high-level, Mantle should be a good thing for XB1.

I can't help thinking that there shouldn't be any advantage in efficiency from a single vendor low-level API like Mantle, versus a single console low-level API like GNM, quite the opposite. It seems logical that the narrower the target hardware configuration, the less abstractions there needs to be. Porting efforts could get a boost though, and maybe Mantle is easier to code against?

Refusing to offer a low-level solution was Microsoft's decision from a long time ago, DX needed to be vendor-agnostic to be successful on PC, so they didn't allow proprietary extensions like OpenGL did. It's like Microsoft is now taking credit for merely allowing AMD's work to be included in DX.

RareGrippingKronosaurus.gif

I still find it crazy that this wasn't a standard feature at launch. Did they completely forget what Xbox Live was all about? New animation is neat. Not sure it needs to remind you to push the Guide button though.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back