News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next, I have asked Phil Spencer to take on a new role leading Xbox, combining the Xbox and Xbox Live development teams with the Microsoft Studios team. Phil will report to Terry Myerson, allowing us to keep gaming close to the group developing operating systems across devices. In this new job, Phil will lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video teams, and Microsoft Studios.

That's really good news. A games chap back in charge of Xbox.

Come on Phil! Put some money behind Kinect games! Do it!!

Edit: Oh, hang on ... was he the one what killed Ensemble?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also what is really the purpose of mocking the esram?

It's the cool thing to do. I was joining in!

I mean no disrespect to you function

I'm not particularly worthy of respect! Just be careful what you say about 1080p and frame rates tho ... :D

but it is really to early to pass judgement on what the Xbox one's memory system is capable of. The only thing that can truly be said about the inclusion of the esram in the X1 is that it would be much worse without it.

I think that the esarm is fine in principle, and a good idea given the cost constraints imposed. The problem seems to be that there's not enough of it, and due to the memory interface to it there could only be 16 ROPs.

Actually, I think that when developers come to terms with it they'll get some very good performance from it, but that will involve using buffers that pack everything into the space carefully (I'm thinking of sebbbi's comments here and Humus' excellent presentation currently feeding a thread in the tech forum).

The trouble for Xbone is that games may need to be built around these frame buffer arrangements, from content creation upwards, and that will take time. It may be a year or two before games built entirely on final hardware are shipping, and until then all we're likely to see is the size limitation and 16 ROPs failing to make use of all that juicy bandwidth.

Meanwhile, the PS4 is having a ball running games that started out being developed on PC's with very similar frame buffer sizes and easily accessible bandwidth.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for XBone for a while ...

Spencer seems like a great hire. Of course "seems", as what do any of us really know about any of these guys.

I've noticed him really being the rising star of Xbox division for a while.

That's really good news. A games chap back in charge of Xbox.

Come on Phil! Put some money behind Kinect games! Do it!!

Edit: Oh, hang on ... was he the one what killed Ensemble?
He admitted himself that he made some mistakes at times, like every single human out there -for instance, not making Guitar Hero an Xbox exclusive, which now would make sense, but back then it'd be a huge system seller.

As a very, very wise person says...

"You have to make mistakes. It's important to make mistakes... and... I still do them all the time. Everyone gets it wrong. It is important to get it wrong."

The mistake was thinking that people needed +3GB of ram for "apps", because apps are all the rage now. At the architecture panel they said that they wanted the xbox to be capable of supporting future trends, and apps were one of those.

That thinking forced them to have 8GB of memory, which forced them to chose ddr3 because of uncertainty of module size and price, and not gddr which they had used in their last generation in the xbox360.

That choice for ddr3 forced them to have a large on die cache, which took away from a larger more powerful gpu.

There was this idea that being able to support the next huge emerging trend would be a finacial win for them, we will have to see how that pans out.

So far it not panned out and its just the great selection of software esclusives and not the wonderful environent that supports apps that is getting people to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news!! I think the Xbox is now where it should be to begin with. Developers are very happy with his designation as new boss of the Xbox division.

Albert Penello, Xbox Division Head of Product Planning:
Congrats to @XboxP3. The perfect guy for the job.
Phil Harrison, Microsoft Corporate VP:
@xboxP3 Congratulations now this is official! Great news for #Xbox fans…and for the entire team at Microsoft.
Peter Moore, Electronic Arts Chief Operating Officer:
Congratulations to Phil Spencer @XboxP3. Right man for the job – great to see games taking front and center. I can say I knew you when…: )
Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft Chief of Staff for Devices and Studios Group.
If you are a gamer or fan of Xbox, announcement today about @XboxP3 is very very good news. Congrats Phil, the future looks bright!
Scott Warner, Visceral Games Design Director:
MSFT announced all XBOX is rolling under Phil Spencer @XboxP3 – not sure how the market feels but internally everyone will love this.
Brad Welch, 343 Industries Design Director:

@XboxP3 Congrats Phil! Always a great supporter of 343, and great to choice to head up Xbox IMO.
Justin Berembaum, 505 Games VP BD and Strategic Relations:
Congrats @XboxP3 Very much looking forward to working with you and your team on some great games we recently signed. Looking forward to it
Rob Davis, Sony Santa Monica Senior Designer:
Terrific news about @XboxP3 , perfect choice

Cliff Bleszinski (not sure what his title is anymore, or if he has one):
Gratz to @XboxP3 on taking over. Right guy for the job.
Uh Phil was running Microsoft GAMES Studios. He gets it.
Mike Henry, Twisted Pixel Lead Engineer:

Happy to see that people on the outside understand how great it is that @XboxP3 is the new Xbox head

Dan Teasdale, No Goblin co-founder:

Wow, @XboxP3 as the head of Xbox is fantastic. Can’t think of anyone else I’d be legit excited to see in that role. Congrats!

Scott Brodie, Heart Shaped Games Founder:

@XboxP3 Congrats Phil, I enjoyed working with you while I was at MGS and know you’ll do a great job in the new role. Best of luck.
Harri Manninen, Rocket Pack Games Co-Founder:

Great move by MSFT to put @XboxP3 in charge of Xbox. His GDC fireside chat was engaging & insightful – much better than I expected.
Brian Provinciano, Vblank Entertainment Founder:
@XboxP3 does the new position enable you to even privately give apologies to certain developers on behalf of Microsoft?
Bungie, Development Studio:

Congrats, @XboxP3! Looking forward to new adventures!
NinjaBeeGames, Development Studio:
Congrats to @XboxP3 to becoming Lord High Admiral of Xbox! Couldn’t have picked a nicer fellow.
Phil Spencer, the man himself:
For all the kind words and support – thank you. So proud to be part of Team #Xbox.

Spencer seems like a great hire. Of course "seems", as what do any of us really know about any of these guys.

I've noticed him really being the rising star of Xbox division for a while.

Agreed.

I'm pleased. Now let's see what's his plans are. E3 will be interesting.

Tommy McClain

That thinking forced them to have 8GB of memory, which forced them to chose ddr3 because of uncertainty of module size and price, and not gddr which they had used in their last generation in the xbox360.

That choice for ddr3 forced them to have a large on die cache, which took away from a larger more powerful gpu.

Iirc, the decision to use DDR3 came before the decision to use 8GB of main ram.

Over the life of the system, MS could move 2133 DDR3 over to 2133 DDR4 (at potentially 32-bit/chip) and along with the esram that would shrink even better than logic, that would give them a long term strategy for cost reduction that GDDR5 couldn't ever hope to match.

Of course, it might not work out quite how MS planned, but mainstream memory and integrated and shrink friendly esram is certainly a long term strategy that they've put some thought into.

Iirc, the decision to use DDR3 came before the decision to use 8GB of main ram.

Over the life of the system, MS could move 2133 DDR3 over to 2133 DDR4 (at potentially 32-bit/chip) and along with the esram that would shrink even better than logic, that would give them a long term strategy for cost reduction that GDDR5 couldn't ever hope to match.

Of course, it might not work out quite how MS planned, but mainstream memory and integrated and shrink friendly esram is certainly a long term strategy that they've put some thought into.

Definitely. MS is misusing the strength of the XOne architecture currently, because it's saddled with Kinect.

That strength is a low cost and "good enough" power. It should have a MSRP sans Kinect of something like $339 right now.

Is that even good enough, or will people still choose to spend a little more on more power? MS had better hope that answer is no.

When or if things change, we'll see. Will they ditch Kinect as soon as E3?

But anyways I'm digressing into business discussion. It's just such a fundamental point I think it bears repeating.

if it was $400 with no Kinect then whats the point ? Its a weaker ps4.

They really need to get down to $400 with Kinect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back