News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGN are reporting Xbox One will launch in 26 new territories this September. They are:

[*]Argentina
[*]Belgium
[*]Chile
[*]Colombia
[*]Czech Republic
[*]Denmark
[*]Finland
[*]Greece
[*]Hungary
[*]India
[*]Israel
[*]Japan
[*]Korea
[*]Netherlands
[*]Norway
[*]Poland
[*]Portugal
[*]Russia
[*]Saudi Arabia
[*]Singapore
[*]Slovakia
[*]South Africa
[*]Sweden
[*]Switzerland
[*]Turkey
[*]UAE

Seems like I will get a wiiu before a xb1.. Microsoft is really not doing themselves any favors with that release schedule.

IGN are reporting Xbox One will launch in 26 new territories this September. They are:
  • Argentina
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • India
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • South Africa
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • UAE

Yikes, september? Stores in Norway are importing now, according to local news here, they did it to coincide with the launch of Titanfall.

They predicted XB1 system cost around 225$ so they thought Kinect 2 would be around 75$. Also they predicted that PS4 would be 399$ and where planing to be 100$ cheaper. So considering they had projected for 50% of the PS4 price point (for console itself), they should knew that PS4 would have more raw power.

But now XB1 costs 100$ more than PS4 and is 200$ more than their initial prediction while their rivals are exactly where they supposed to be, and at the same time XB1 is actually the weaker console compered to PS4.

Strange, and sad, story for Microsoft.

That's the weird bit. If MS were planning it then the GDC talks wouldn't have to get rescheduled. But if he was planning it without MS knowing, possibly because he saw the writing on the wall, then that would make sense.
Surely he needs to provide several month's notice? I don't understand any of these 'walkouts'. Every employment I know of stipulates a minimum work period from handing in one's resignation. The only workarounds I know of are: having enough holiday to cover the notice period; have the company want to get rid of you and offering you a way out via optional retirement. Don't see how any of these fit. :???:

So almost a year to release in Scandinavia and Benelux, except they aren't even launching in Luxembourg. :oops: I wonder how much damage that'll do to the platform? Will potential buyers of import XB1's have second thoughts knowing it'll be 5 months before their platform is officially supported, and get PS4 instead?

So almost a year to release in Scandinavia and Benelux, except they aren't even launching in Luxembourg. :oops: I wonder how much damage that'll do to the platform? Will potential buyers of import XB1's have second thoughts knowing it'll be 5 months before their platform is officially supported, and get PS4 instead?

Speaking of Finland, most of my friends who are looking for 'next gen' are moving or moved from xbox 360 to ps4... funny enough, imported x1 are widely available here but ps4's are sold out almost everywhere, few Infamous bundles are for preorder and next plain ps4 shipmen arrives end of this month.

I have no idea who is gonna buy x1 when it is officially released here.. pretty much IMO x1 is already lost the war here...x360 was not in top 1 here but had quite good footprint here.. I have had a x1 since launch but there is really no point to keep it anymore..switching to ps4 in this or next week.

Surely he needs to provide several month's notice? I don't understand any of these 'walkouts'. Every employment I know of stipulates a minimum work period from handing in one's resignation. The only workarounds I know of are: having enough holiday to cover the notice period; have the company want to get rid of you and offering you a way out via optional retirement. Don't see how any of these fit. :???:
Not necessarily the case in all regions, industries, positions and seniority levels - especially in high tech when you announce you're leaving you may find your end date expedited as sometimes they don't want people hanging around, digging through upcoming projects and otherwise not necessarily being too productive!

Only if it's in his contract. I don't know if they would have a special contract at his level though.

If he was just employed like a regular "at-will" employee he can go as he pleases.

Speaking of Finland, most of my friends who are looking for 'next gen' are moving or moved from xbox 360 to ps4... funny enough, imported x1 are widely available here but ps4's are sold out almost everywhere, few Infamous bundles are for preorder and next plain ps4 shipmen arrives end of this month.

I have no idea who is gonna buy x1 when it is officially released here.. pretty much IMO x1 is already lost the war here...x360 was not in top 1 here but had quite good footprint here.. I have had a x1 since launch but there is really no point to keep it anymore..switching to ps4 in this or next week.
Even if it was the only console in the world, the PS4 to me would be a console to have for a few exclusives alone.

I gotta admit it's all psychological but I had a childhood friend who was envious of other friends coming to my home to play the PC and my Xbox and tried to lure them to play PlayStation games with him. But those friends still preferred my PC and my Xbox to play at my house with me.

That and the fact that I live in a region where PlayStation absolutely reigns and seen many things like censoring Xbox/Nintendo users or getting rid of them in some forums -the shady way-, made me very very mistrustful of anything PlayStation --not Sony, though, in fact I had a cousin working at Sony, music division.

In that situation for me it feels like I'd never have a PS4 as my main console even if the world was about to end and there wasn't any other console out there.

I am from the Microsoft tribe, as tkf would say, but gotta admit it was a sad situation a console with such potential (much more than any other, WiiU is kinda meh, and PlayStation didn't make anything particularly appealing outside games in almost a decade, save maybe the Plus subscription, imho) got in.

Last edited by a moderator:

At the same time, being Finn myself, I can report that several big stores have had PS4 stock available in plain eyesight and it has taken week++ to sell just around 10 or something of them.
They're not flying off the shelves by a longshot here.

Ooer, Terry Myerson. Now I'm doubly glad I left. I'd have problems working for a person who essentially punished an entire group of people because he didn't like the product they were working on, and thought one of them might have been talking to the press.
:neutral: What if it was an isolated event? Maybe he had a bad day at the office.

They should bring back Allard and Moore.

Like rats they are. Like rats I tell you!! ;)

Seriously though hopefully its not an ill omen about the direction of the division as the corporate killer takes control.

Ill omen? That's what I'm worried about. I understand turnaround especially after long product dev cycles, but with the rocky launch & 180's you knew some heads had to roll.

Seems like everyone involved with the wreckage is leaving.
Strange ....

Don't think it's strange, but the question was it forced or not?

That's the weird bit. If MS were planning it then the GDC talks wouldn't have to get rescheduled. But if he was planning it without MS knowing, possibly because he saw the writing on the wall, then that would make sense.

This is my thinking as well. Most employers in the States would require at least a 2-week notice. So I'm thinking Microsoft didn't know he was looking for work elsewhere.

In reply to Tommy (Azbat), I think it is a good departure, regardless of the fact that I am not a big fan of these things.

In my opinion, Whitten -along with Mattrick, and a few others-, did some good things, like bundling Kinect with every console, the HDMI In and an (apparently) very reliable hardware.

That's fine and dandy. But the mistakes during the presentation of the console were epic. And I am not even talking about the DRM. But the extreme focus on the TV stuff, the PR blunders and some other things that should never happen.

Good departure? Yeah, they can spin it to make it look OK, but good? Don't see it. Whitten was at the frontlines trying to sell Xbox One. Never looks good when that guy decides to leave.

Don't see a problem. As I mentioned above, if he gave the traditional 2-weeks notice he should be fine for getting a recommendation for any other employment. Like Wavey said they also might have expedited his last day to protect them from things that the outgoing employee might attempt to do before he/she leaves.

Ooer, Terry Myerson. Now I'm doubly glad I left. I'd have problems working for a person who essentially punished an entire group of people because he didn't like the product they were working on, and thought one of them might have been talking to the press.

Haven't heard much on him, but you're not giving me much faith. Doesn't look like he has any experience in the gaming industry. That can't be good.

Tommy McClain

Good departure? Yeah, they can spin it to make it look OK, but good? Don't see it. Whitten was at the frontlines trying to sell Xbox One. Never looks good when that guy decides to leave.

Isn't this just the normal heads rolling for a rocky X1 start?

bkilians comment on the new guy doesn't sound good, though.

Isn't this just the normal heads rolling for a rocky X1 start?

bkilians comment on the new guy doesn't sound good, though.

One would have thought they would have forced out Yusuf "TV" Mehdi or Albert Penello instead. Marc is a games guy & was generally liked by the gamers they were trying to win back. This new guy doesn't sound like he would be good for gamers.

Tommy McClain

One would have thought they would have forced out Yusuf "TV" Mehdi or Albert Penello instead. Marc is a games guy & was generally liked by the gamers they were trying to win back. This new guy doesn't sound like he would be good for gamers.

Tommy McClain

It almost feels that they are firmly putting the gaming aspect of the xb1 behind them and are putting people in place who have the mind and skill set to market a generic CE device for home entertainment. More tv and media and whole lot less gaming.

At the same time, being Finn myself, I can report that several big stores have had PS4 stock available in plain eyesight and it has taken week++ to sell just around 10 or something of them.
They're not flying off the shelves by a longshot here.

Here in Joensuu all stores are sold out, last place that had them was Prisma and it went dry last week...but I guess it depends on city and how much ps4's 'sony' can/wants to supply..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back