News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case i think you consider me people :) for me it's simple, i did not imagine Sony would have such a big advantage with what from the outlook seemed so similar hardware.
You believed Microsoft's PR and marketing people. When Phil Spencer said things like the difference won't be so big, and hinted he knew things nobody else did, you bought it.

But that's what marketing's job is. To assuage any doubts you had about One not being as competitive to PS4 in certain graphics metrics.

Invitation to Preview the Next Xbox One Update

It seems like some select folks are being invited to beta test the March firmware update in advance. No clue on how they're selecting people.

Xbox said:
The team is working hard to deliver some exciting updates in March that will make Xbox One even better. But in order to ensure our customers have the best experience on Xbox One and Xbox Live, we need the help of our passionate community.

Beginning today, Xbox is inviting select Xbox Live members to preview new features coming to Xbox One in a March system update and future system updates as they become available, asking them to provide valuable feedback before the updates are implemented worldwide. Selected participants will receive an Xbox Live message with a token to register. The next system update will begin rolling out next week to those who will preview the new features. Once registered, participants will be able to test the early features included in the update and provide feedback on a private forum and can opt out of future waves.

You believed Microsoft's PR and marketing people. When Phil Spencer said things like the difference won't be so big, and hinted he knew things nobody else did, you bought it.

But that's what marketing's job is. To assuage any doubts you had about One not being as competitive to PS4 in certain graphics metrics.

Nope, I believed in history, Microsoft has not turned up to a console war outgunned like they did this round. You seem angry relax :)

I've heard if you use the beta OS you can't join parties with people who aren't in the beta. Not sure if that's true. I guess because of the differences in party features they're cut off from each other. Don't think I'd accept the beta invite if that's true.

It seems like some select folks are being invited to beta test the March firmware update in advance. No clue on how they're selecting people.
From what I know, I think the procedure is the same as when new betas (especially the biggest ones) of the OS are published on the Xbox 360. They are usually sent to some loyal fans of the brand whose eligibility depends of factors I don't know of, but that's a common characteristic of their eligibility.

Xbox has a big game sale going on the last few days. they have daily deals and also ones that run all week.

These are really approaching steam sale prices. It's a shame MS doesn't get more credit for these type of things because they've had the edge in online pricing for years over PSN that I've noticed, even apart from any sales.

Anyways http://majornelson.com/2014/02/20/xbox-360-ultimate-games-sale-day-4/

I already picked up some Capcom Arcade Cabinet thing (sale a few days ago) for like a buck and change. Why the heck not? It turned out to only have 3 games instead of the 15 I thought (you have to buy the rest in 3 at a time separate packs), but for a buck I dont even care. It had Avengers that I used to play in the arcades in my youth, and 1943 as well. And today I'm consider SSIV Arcade Edition for 9.49, even though I already own SSIV vanilla, and I probably wouldn't play it much if I did buy it, it would be nice to own the latest one. If you dont own any SSIV then it would be fantastic deal.

Like I said, Steam sale mentality LOL.

Weirdly Major Nelson only lists percentages off rather than the price, and they also do this on the 360 dash. I'm guessing this is so they can serve both the USA and EU market at once. Click through the title for actual pricing.

Two things:

Depending, you can rightly argue the difference isn't that big right now, even if nothing changes. In the sense that Joe Schmoe is probably not gonna notice really. So in this way Spencer could plausibly claim he's already been proved right (you can disagree but it's plausible).

Second thing, I still want to see how things look for multiplats in 1-2-3 years. This book is not written nor final. It could be that in 1-3 years we've reached mostly parity on the big multiplats. We'll have to wait and see. It's early days. We have the rumor of MS giving 8% GPU and a confirmed faster recent SDK etc.

Spencer probably had devs, either first party or third party, telling him "the difference is not that much", heck at least a couple devs have publicly stated the same thing. and it may turn up true over time. But if one version is no AA 1080P 28-30 FPS and the other 1080P 2XMSAA with locked 30 FPS, there are still going to be people who claim that's a monstrous difference, as well.

I've heard if you use the beta OS you can't join parties with people who aren't in the beta. Not sure if that's true. I guess because of the differences in party features they're cut off from each other. Don't think I'd accept the beta invite if that's true.

The last beta dash I was in pretty much made me swear off dash betas. My 360 had a too-strongly vibrating DVD drive (it worked fine but I was worried about what might happen once it was out of warranty). Long story short it was a huge pain trying to get a 360 repaired with a beta dash as I dont believe you can go through the regular repair channels. They'll have your console flagged as being in the beta and thus presume it must be some beta software issue.

That and issues like the one you mention...not worth it.

Kinect is the IR blaster. I don't think X1 supports HDMI-CEC. I suppose they could add it to newer units.

Polygon posted this about Kinect requirement:

Update 2: A Microsoft representative clarified to Polygon that the Xbox One Media Remote does not require the Kinect in order to work with the console; it communicates with the system directly when it comes to controlling the Xbox One user interface and apps.

BTW, Kinect is the only INCLUDED IR blaster. There is another connector on the back for a standard IR blaster as well. Conceivably they could support that cable as well.

EDIT: Tap In beat me to it. That's what I get for not reading the next page before posting. LOL

Tommy McClain

That's like the 2nd time in as many weeks they've announced an accessory with bad information they had to go back and clarify. First the headset adapter fine print implied game audio would not work through the controller, and now the media remote confusion.

From what I know, I think the procedure is the same as when new betas (especially the biggest ones) of the OS are published on the Xbox 360. They are usually sent to some loyal fans of the brand whose eligibility depends of factors I don't know of, but that's a common characteristic of their eligibility.

I tested each dash, and provided input/bugs on connect. If they would look at my X1 uptime they should let me test it for that alone. LOL Maybe I have to turn the thing off first, hmmm. Seems random, some Xbox Ambassadors are getting it for example. I just wonder if it fixes some of the gremlins I am seeing. Kinect going blank, loss of picture (BSOD) but you can hear things still working, I did notice Titanfall if I did not close it out from the menu would seem to cause further stability issues. Tiles would not load, Netflix and Amazon would not return to the dash correctly. Once I would go close Titanfall it would all work ok again.

With the twins being born days before X1 came out, I have had the console on almost the whole time. Sadly I hardly get to touch it since they are still bonkers to take care of. So I guess MS can see I don't touch the thing, so why would I be a good beta tester again. That is my inside joke anyway. I am here from 6am to 2am if you need me.. :rolleyes:

Edit:
That's like the 2nd time in as many weeks they've announced an accessory with bad information they had to go back and clarify. First the headset adapter fine print implied game audio would not work through the controller, and now the media remote confusion.

If they read their own Xbox Support stuff they would know game sounds don't play through the wired headsets, out of boredom I took a test on it one night.

Depending, you can rightly argue the difference isn't that big right now, even if nothing changes. In the sense that Joe Schmoe is probably not gonna notice really. So in this way Spencer could plausibly claim he's already been proved right (you can disagree but it's plausible).

You can, it's entirely subjective, and I fully subscribe to the idea that you don't miss what you never high (1080p, high frame rates etc). I didn't have a 360 last gen only a PS3 annd I was entirely happy with the vast majority of gaming experiences I had. I knew that many multiplats were marginally better on 360, slightly higher native rendering resolutions, better/more alpha particle effects, higher frame rates. Lots of little things were trimmed on PS3 but none prevented me enjoying those games. However my experience tells me that 1080p vs less is noticeable. I have only one non-1080p game and it's amazing how quickly to adjust to a very sharp image and where it's not there, it's noticeable.

However Microsoft were far from honest about the performance deficit here, they were specifically downplaying questions about 1080p vs lower resolutions. In respect, always easier with the benefit of hindsight, the clue was rather than Microsoft making definitive statements about possible differences they fielded an individual who said "I think.." or "I don't believe.." [the One is that less capable] and in marketing that's a classic ruse because an individual can defend any crazy statement if they claim genuinely believe it.

Second thing, I still want to see how things look for multiplats in 1-2-3 years. This book is not written nor final. It could be that in 1-3 years we've reached mostly parity on the big multiplats. We'll have to wait and see. It's early days. We have the rumor of MS giving 8% GPU and a confirmed faster recent SDK etc.

And this is what Microsoft want folks to do. Hang on it there, things will get better. I'm not saying this is Microsoft strategy but I'm more than a few companies have suckered people into buying a product knowing that once you're in their ecosystem you'll unlikely to leave even if the grass genuinely is greener on the other side.

Spencer probably had devs, either first party or third party, telling him "the difference is not that much", heck at least a couple devs have publicly stated the same thing.

Even under the cover of NDAs I find it hard to believe that devs were not giving completely honest feedback about the performance of One games compared to PS4. We're talking about last year when devkits were with thousands of devs, not just a few trusted teams.

and it may turn up true over time. But if one version is no AA 1080P 28-30 FPS and the other 1080P 2XMSAA with locked 30 FPS, there are still going to be people who claim that's a monstrous difference, as well.

Of course it'll get better. But PS4 development isn't sitting in a vacuum. If Microsoft and devs are looking to achieve closer parity, they need to be targeting what PS4 games will be delivering in 2/4/6 years not what it's delivering now.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is what Microsoft want folks to do. Hang on it there, things will get better. I'm not saying this is Microsoft strategy but I'm more than a few companies have suckered people into buying a product knowing that once you're in their ecosystem you'll unlikely to leave even if the grass genuinely is greener on the other side.

That seemed to work well for sony last gen.

Aside from that if someone actually wants the best Quality graphics a $150 to $200 video card will provide a better experience than either of the systems and in 3-4 years as you speak a $50 graphics card will provide a much better experience heck even intergrated graphics might provide it

Of course it'll get better. But PS4 development isn't sitting in a vacuum. If Microsoft and devs are looking to achieve closer parity, they need to be targeting what PS4 games will be delivering in 2/4/6 years not what it's delivering now.

This is valid but keep in mind both machines use the same GPU and CPU designs so ore than likely generally improvements will benefit both platforms equally. The one big exception being the memory bandwidth and Esram. However with few exceptions PS4's approach should make it a winner there too.

For better or worse MS will need to make case for XB1 with software and services. Titanfall is a big win but they need more exclusive titles and some Kinect games which keep consumers from comparing apples to apples.

That seemed to work well for sony last gen. Aside from that if someone actually wants the best Quality graphics a $150 to $200 video card will provide a better experience than either of the systems and in 3-4 years as you speak a $50 graphics card will provide a much better experience heck even intergrated graphics might provide it

And the delta in performance between multiplat games on 360 and PS3 was marginal, for the most part, after a few years.

I don't see how PC graphics cards are relevant. You seem to be saying that the difference in consoles doesn't matter because PCs crush both!?! If you care THAT much about graphics, consoles are an afterthought. May as well spend that money on an upgrade.

This is valid but keep in mind both machines use the same GPU and CPU designs so ore than likely generally improvements will benefit both platforms equally. The one big exception being the memory bandwidth and Esram. However with few exceptions PS4's approach should make it a winner there too.
On the CPU side yes, on the GPU side I'd question that. The GPUs are cut from the same cloth but aren't programmable in the same way on both consoles. Shader optimisations probably translate well although I know little of PSSL, however you're looking at DirectX11+extensions on One compared to GNMX+GNM on PS4. From a developers perspective, they're as different as they are alike.

For better or worse MS will need to make case for XB1 with software and services. Titanfall is a big win but they need more exclusive titles and some Kinect games which keep consumers from comparing apples to apples.
This. They should accept the hardware differences and focus on creating good games. For gamers, games are the key differentiator.

In the sense that Joe Schmoe is probably not gonna notice really.
He doesn't have to, he just needs to know which one is "the best at graphics". The word is out on that one, and it's only going to get stronger.

That seemed to work well for sony last gen.
One of the reasons it worked, is because it was (partly) true. On the last legs of it's life MP games are equal and the difference was very very rarely so bad as it is between the XB1 and PS4. We even have a few that just edges ahead of the 360. Sony played it smart, they had 1st party games that looked fantastic and could blame the developers for not using "the powers of the cell". The message was muddy thanks to that.

So there may have been a common knowledge last gen that the best machine for MP games was the 360, but it was not as strong as it's going to be during this round (imho). And Sony had several tricks to offset the "weakness".

I am in the nothing is impossible camp, and i am certain that we will see some extraordinary 1st party games from Microsoft. But i am just as certain that it will be very very hard to shake off that expensive and slow feeling they are getting into. They will need to play cards like Sony did.. free multiplayer would be a great upset. In my book they are so behind on points that they will have to do something.

On the CPU side yes, on the GPU side I'd question that. The GPUs are cut from the same cloth but aren't programmable in the same way on both consoles. Shader optimisations probably translate well although I know little of PSSL, however you're looking at DirectX11+extensions on One compared to GNMX+GNM on PS4. From a developers perspective, they're as different as they are alike.

This. They should accept the hardware differences and focus on creating good games. For gamers, games are the key differentiator.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about the differences bw OpenGL and DirectX. Both GPUs are GCN tech, hence my original comment. Although I would be willing to bet that it is more likely we'll see Sony development get closer to the metal. Atleast if Corrine Yu's twitter comments are to believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back