News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1080p/900p is pretty much what everybody expected in mp games

not bad

Expected since? I had no idea that the xb1 would be so bad of. Yes, now it's not that unexpected but before launch and even until assassin's 4 got patched I didn't expect the XB1 to be weak on mp. It's as if we can expect every 30fps ps4 game to be 720 on the xb1. I think the difference is huge compared to last gen.

Nokia is going to make a sleek...sexy...shiny red Xbox One? What about that Yellow? I like bleeding edge tech, so some days I am bummed about the next-gen consoles, and sometimes I an enthralled. Today I am bummed again, because the article robbed me. LOL
:smile2: That was a bummer for me too. I gotta admit I read the news using a RSS feed, there are so many of them and the headlines are my thing rather than reading them all when I share those articles. I read them fully later.

Gotta admit I skimmed through the article -I usually read very fast, years of Internet..., and the stress and frenzy of the digital life, emails, whatsapp, social sites, etc etc etc etc, makes you used to that- and I didn't read anything in quotations when I skimmed through the news, which made me smell a rat, but the main mistake is that the headline says "Nadella, don't underestimate Nokia and Xbox One".

I thought the headline was; Nadella, "don't underestimate Nokia and Xbox One", because a headline like "Nadella, (....)" implies you are addressing him more like a pal than a CEO of a company.

Still, not to break the tradition, I shall try harder to read the headlines that get my attention and the associated articles in more detail. Promise.

DSoup, I hope they fix that bug asap, it didn't happen to me but for a x86 machine games are more buggy -NBA 2k14 is an example- than expected, so it can be the OS at times.

Xbox 360 despite is PowerPC architecture has been more stable for me, save the odd game.

Scott_Arm, I think it's out of the question the Xbox One is limited compared to the PS4 or a good PC, but its architecture might need some more time to be learnt, as stated by sebbbi :smile2: here, which gives some hope that it will have some outstanding games.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1828784&postcount=129

Scott_Arm, I think it's out of the question the Xbox One is limited compared to the PS4 or a good PC, but its architecture might need some more time to be learnt, as stated by sebbbi :smile2: here, which gives some hope that it will have some outstanding games.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1828784&postcount=129

Never said it wouldn't have outstanding games. I bought one. I just don't think there's any doubt that there's more powerful hardware in the competitions box. That doesn't mean I don't think developers will get a better grasp of the system. I expect end of gen games to look much better than launch games. At the same time, I think it's fairly obvious that they'll always have less computing power than the competition.

1080p/900p is pretty much what everybody expected in mp games

not bad
Not bad, but not so expected either. I agree with tkf that given the specs people expect higher framerates and resolutions.

I mean, even if they say the DDR3 is limited, the DDR3 alone has more than 3 times the entire bandwidth of the Xbox 360, not to mention that in all actuality, Xbox 360's main bandwidth was 11GB/s because it wasn't bidirectional.

Then you have the eSRAM which is bandwidth galore and is orders of magnitude faster than X360's EDRAM 'cos the framebuffer is compressed nowadays, which wasn't in the old days.

Right now Xbox One is all meek, and people expected a lioness --gotta admit I am disappointed, framerates wise especially.

Never said it wouldn't have outstanding games. I bought one. I just don't think there's any doubt that there's more powerful hardware in the competitions box. That doesn't mean I don't think developers will get a better grasp of the system. I expect end of gen games to look much better than launch games. At the same time, I think it's fairly obvious that they'll always have less computing power than the competition.
I just hope they can do some cool tricks with that architecture. Even the oddest configuration, be it more or less powerful, can have its advantages.

I learnt from the last generation that technology is not only about paper specs, but where you can put framebuffers and what you can do with RAM buses.

In that sense, maybe not at 1080p, but at a lower resolution, the console could see interesting approaches.

The generation has just started, and we are living the same thing as usual, many of us are counting our chickens before they are hatched.

When I read this i was like, nah can't be happening or it has to be a very small sample. Because the xb1 owners on this board would have mentioned it before verge could have reported it.

here and neogaf are talking about more ps4 problems than xbox one problems, so its a bit weird that this was reported

Expected since? I had no idea that the xb1 would be so bad of. Yes, now it's not that unexpected but before launch and even until assassin's 4 got patched I didn't expect the XB1 to be weak on mp. It's as if we can expect every 30fps ps4 game to be 720 on the xb1. I think the difference is huge compared to last gen.

what?

while extolling the PS4 GPU in almost every thread, someone said... probably 15-30 FPS difference or 900-1080p difference...look back at threads people have been expecting this since around June

and I disagree; it is not a huge difference... "most people" (not on this board) will never be able to tell if they didn't see them side by side and were told"

what?

while extolling the PS4 GPU in almost every thread, someone said... probably 15-30 FPS difference or 900-1080p difference...look back at threads people have been expecting this since around June

and I disagree; it is not a huge difference... "most people" (not on this board) will never be able to tell if they didn't see them side by side and were told"

As I said I didn't expect it, I guess I bought into the esram will save us. I guess I foolishly didn't think Microsoft would be so far behind.
And it is a huge difference, I don't care if anyone can or will notice, this is still a big power gap. Just a matter of time before the whole world thinks of the xb1 as the hdready console and the ps4 as full hd. It will be mentioned again and again in every review for the next 6-8 years.

:smile2: That was a bummer for me too. I gotta admit I read the news using a RSS feed, there are so many of them and the headlines are my thing rather than reading them all when I share those articles. I read them fully later.

Gotta admit I skimmed through the article -I usually read very fast, years of Internet..., and the stress and frenzy of the digital life, emails, whatsapp, social sites, etc etc etc etc, makes you used to that- and I didn't read anything in quotations when I skimmed through the news, which made me smell a rat, but the main mistake is that the headline says "Nadella, don't underestimate Nokia and Xbox One".

Ha, I usually type as well as I skim, years of not having a high level job have ruined my writing ability. At least I don't break out the C# or C++ code typing anymore. :)

Now if I can only break my habit of using smilies. :( But seriously, it is 1am, my life has turned into baby care of two bonkers eating twins. You guys are all that keep me sane, what was our topic again?

After the X1 firmware update my Kinect disconnected - hard reset fixed it. Titanfall beta I think is the culprit of some other bugs, black screen but you can still hear things in the background. Use the controller to turn it off, but still needs a hard reset to restore video.

In more unrelated but still MS new, got my Surface back from warranty repair. No more dead pixels!

I imagine lots of titles this year will be 900p on X1, seems like a good compromise for the time being. Maybe in a few years we will see the same quality at 1080p.

Edit: -TKF- but to the general public will that matter, and what will happen when we upgrade to 4k displays. If I could write the book, both machines would be twice what they are now, and VR would have been ready.

The remote needs Kinect.

From the press release:
The Media Remote can also control TV/Receiver power and volume through Kinect, which uses IR blasting to send signals to your TV and/or receiver.

I do wonder if they would entertain releasing a quality microphone/IR blaster without the camera. You;d have to give up the camera stuff, but you could still do all the voice based stuff. It would probably be at a fraction of the Kinect's cost as well.

If anything the remote cements the fact that they aren't giving up on Kinect. This is basically a peripheral for Kinect. Doesn't mean they couldn't still release an X1 without Kinect, but it seems unlikely. I think they'd at least wait and see how Kinect Sports Rivals does first.

The remote needs Kinect.

From the press release:

I do wonder if they would entertain releasing a quality microphone/IR blaster without the camera. You;d have to give up the camera stuff, but you could still do all the voice based stuff. It would probably be at a fraction of the Kinect's cost as well.

Yeah, as i read it, when you need to IR blast it needs it, but for everything else it doesn't?

Yeah, as i read it, when you need to IR blast it needs it, but for everything else it doesn't?

Well, I guess. It would need IR blasting to turn your equipment on and off, to control volume and to change tv channels. Power, volume and channel changing are pretty much the most common buttons that would be pressed.

As I said I didn't expect it, I guess I bought into the esram will save us. I guess I foolishly didn't think Microsoft would be so far behind.
And it is a huge difference, I don't care if anyone can or will notice, this is still a big power gap. Just a matter of time before the whole world thinks of the xb1 as the hdready console and the ps4 as full hd. It will be mentioned again and again in every review for the next 6-8 years.

I'm not sure why or how people on this forum convinced themselves this wouldn't be the case. There were a lot of lengthy discussions on this forum and people generally identified that there was a gap in the hardware specs that would lead to resolution or framerate differences. Anyone that expected parity, or close to parity, was just fooling themselves. The disparity in ROPs was identified pretty quickly. There were a ton of discussions about whether people would be able to see a significant different between 720p and 1080p. None of this should be a surprise to us. Outside of here, and for the majority of people, that is not be the case. Most people don't follow hardware leaks, know what ROPs, flops, throughput, bandwidth and CUs are. I can see Xbox fans that don't know or understand these things being disappointed if they're really into graphics.

As for HD, 720p is HD. 900p is HD. For me, it is good enough. For some people, maybe the majority, it is not. I think the games will still look very good. People are acting as if there isn't a huge jump from ps360 to Xbox One, and it's nonsense. The games for X1 are going to look much much better than anything on ps360. We can already see that with BF4, Ryse, NBA 2K and other upcoming titles. The disparity will only grow as the generation continues. PS4 will still have the edge in graphics. Time to deal with reality.

If anything the remote cements the fact that they aren't giving up on Kinect. This is basically a peripheral for Kinect. Doesn't mean they couldn't still release an X1 without Kinect, but it seems unlikely. I think they'd at least wait and see how Kinect Sports Rivals does first.
I thought the IR blaster was a separate emitter, is it actually integrated into Kinect?

If so, then this doesn't necessarily cement Microsoft not giving up on Kinect, it's just the only way the Xbox One can receive IR signals (from the remote) and emit them to control the TV is using Kinect itself. The alternative is CEC.

When I turn on my PS4, it switches on the TV (if off) and changes the TV to the PS4's HDMI input. When I switch off the PS4, the TV switches back to whatever channel or input it was on previously. If the TV was previously off it will switch the TV back off unless I've changed channels already to watch TV or do something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why or how people on this forum convinced themselves this wouldn't be the case. There were a lot of lengthy discussions on this forum and people generally identified that there was a gap in the hardware specs that would lead to resolution or framerate differences. Anyone that expected parity, or close to parity, was just fooling themselves. The disparity in ROPs was identified pretty quickly. There were a ton of discussions about whether people would be able to see a significant different between 720p and 1080p. None of this should be a surprise to us. Outside of here, and for the majority of people, that is not be the case. Most people don't follow hardware leaks, know what ROPs, flops, throughput, bandwidth and CUs are. I can see Xbox fans that don't know or understand these things being disappointed if they're really into graphics.

As for HD, 720p is HD. 900p is HD. For me, it is good enough. For some people, maybe the majority, it is not. I think the games will still look very good. People are acting as if there isn't a huge jump from ps360 to Xbox One, and it's nonsense. The games for X1 are going to look much much better than anything on ps360. We can already see that with BF4, Ryse, NBA 2K and other upcoming titles. The disparity will only grow as the generation continues. PS4 will still have the edge in graphics. Time to deal with reality.

In this case i think you consider me people :) for me it's simple, i did not imagine Sony would have such a big advantage with what from the outlook seemed so similar hardware. I read the same stuff you did, and there were hints that the 50% GPU advantage wouldn't be that easy to use and that the GDDR5 would be offset by the ESRam. Obviously this has not been the case. As for the HD, yeah we got plenty HD standards. But you wouldn't expect anyone to buy a HD-Ready TV today if there was a Full HD on the shelves that was cheaper and even had a better picture. This is what the XB1 will have to live with for the next many years. It's going to be a unpresented uphill battle, only the WII U has a worse job.

I thought the IR blaster was a separate emitted, is it actually integrated into Kinect?

If so, then this doesn't necessarily cement Microsoft not giving up on Kinect, it's just the only way the Xbox One can receive IR signals (from the remote) and emit them to control the TV is using Kinect itself. The alternative is CEC.

When I turn on my PS4, it switches on the TV (if off) and changes the TV to the PS4's HDMI input. When I switch off the PS4, the TV switches back to whatever channel or input it was on previously. If the TV was previously off it will switch the TV back off unless I've changed channels already to watch TV or do something else.

Kinect is the IR blaster. I don't think X1 supports HDMI-CEC. I suppose they could add it to newer units.

Microsoft probably has statistics over this, but I wonder how the share is between 720p and 1080p HDTVs on the 360 and Xbox One.

I think it's worth pointing out that back in 2009, Epic said that over half the users playing Gears of War 2 had SDTVs. Sure it's five years from then, but it shows that many average gamers don't care much about the resolution question.

Kinect is the IR blaster. I don't think X1 supports HDMI-CEC. I suppose they could add it to newer units.
The only 'hardware' required to support CEC is HDMI pin 13. The rest is firmware. They should be able to add in unless the their HDMI firmware is fixed, which probably isn't the case given the media-centric focus of their original vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back