News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft will 'fix' the Xbox One controller at the request of 'Titanfall' developer

Interesting article on The Verge titled 'Microsoft will 'fix' the Xbox One controller at the request of 'Titanfall' developer'. This is first I've read any suggestion that the Xbox One controller wasn't what it should be.

Possibly being blown out of proportion.

Also an interesting comment about Respawn assisting in improving the upscaler - suggesting that the unscaler is indeed programmable.

Interesting article on The Verge titled 'Microsoft will 'fix' the Xbox One controller at the request of 'Titanfall' developer'. This is first I've read any suggestion that the Xbox One controller wasn't what it should be.

Also an interesting comment about Respawn assisting in improving the upscaler - suggesting that the unscaler is indeed programmable.
That's very interesting new, thanks for sharing. I was holding up hope time ago when the first rumours about the Xbox One's upscaler that someone would fix that at the last minute back then, but then I thought that maybe the upscaler wasn't programmable, which made me feel kinda disappointed with the fact that Microsoft's employees called it a "high quality upscaler". I am glad it is programmable and can use different solutions, like 2XSAI and things like that.

On another note, Phil Spencer isn't keen on having a Mario Kart like game on the console with crossovers from different games of the Xbox One. I hope that eventually there will be a similar game on the platform.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/do...-style-racing-game-for-xbox-one/1100-6417693/

No Goblin developers have praised Xbox One's indie program iD@Xbox and are super happy with it, saying that the Xbox One is the most appealing console platform for people like them and mentioning iD@Xbox is going to take a lot of people by surprise.

"A huge thanks has to go to Chris Charla and Richard Rouse over at the ID@Xbox team for making what’s easily the most appealing console platform for developers like us to release on," No Goblin's blog reads.

"Diving into the Xbox One universe has been super easy for us, and Chris and Richard have been incredibly responsive and helpful in dealing with all of my old man game developer quirks. Personally, I think ID@Xbox is going to take a lot of people by surprise. We’re super honored to be included with one of the first waves of developers to release through the program."

The controller is great. I'll be surprised if I notice a big difference after the update.

The controller is great. I'll be surprised if I notice a big difference after the update.
What will it do to my Forza times? I already spent a bit of time adjusting the settings to suit my driving style (virtual anyway). :rolleyes:

Good news on the scaler, I do wonder what put them behind on some of these things. Was it not vgleaks that had some info on this long ago?

I think the issue with the upscaler is that MS designed it assuming that next gen games would have excellent IQ at 720p, 900p etc. So the original framebuffer image would be very well resolved with good AA and minimal to no aliasing.

In that scenario a scaler which does some relatively agressive sharpening would work well, however what we got is a continuation of the poor IQ that plagued last gen and so the scaling is broken as it just makes aliasing stand out even more.

Infamous CBOAT hints at Kinectless $400 Xbox One, after disappointing NPD.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100703600&postcount=572

Originally Posted by Cheech

Pretty sure we are getting new marketing, a Kinectless version, and a game for 400 by summer.

Originally Posted by crazy buttocks on a train

ye syes n yes. sumer at leariest tho. cee how ##s stand in May

Kinectless version would clearly be a major strategy shift, even more fundamental than a simple price cut.

Microsoft have phenomenally, utterly failed to make the gaming case for Kinect. A group of media obsessed execs saw Kinect and decided that games were now irrelevant because they could image trillions of lazy media loving consumer fucks commanding their Xbox to spunk money down Microsoft's neckhole in exchange for basically doing nothing.

And so as the execs and managers fumbled with their drool covered flies, trying to clumsily beat one out over finally winning the Internet-TV-Device-As-Service war that consumers weren't looking for a saviour from, they grunted at game makers to fuck off, leaving Kinect as the most awesome and awesomely under supported expensive none-peripheral peripheral in gaming history.

MS have made Kinect an irrelevance for most of the potential Xbox One owners out there. Now they may have to do the decent (i.e. necessary) thing and sell them an Xbox one without Kinect. Or lose them to Sony.

Put it this way: for gamers, Kinect is currently more compelling for the PS4 than it is for the Xbox One B0ne. Which is bullshit. Because Kinect could be delivering awesome games right now, today.

Microsoft have phenomenally, utterly failed to make the gaming case for Kinect. A group of media obsessed execs saw Kinect and decided that games were now irrelevant because they could image trillions of lazy media loving consumer fucks commanding their Xbox to spunk money down Microsoft's neckhole in exchange for basically doing nothing.

And so as the execs and managers fumbled with their drool covered flies, trying to clumsily beat one out over finally winning the Internet-TV-Device-As-Service war that consumers weren't looking for a saviour from, they grunted at game makers to fuck off, leaving Kinect as the most awesome and awesomely under supported expensive none-peripheral peripheral in gaming history.

MS have made Kinect an irrelevance for most of the potential Xbox One owners out there. Now they may have to do the decent (i.e. necessary) thing and sell them an Xbox one without Kinect. Or lose them to Sony.

Put it this way: for gamers, Kinect is currently more compelling for the PS4 than it is for the Xbox One B0ne. Which is bullshit. Because Kinect could be delivering awesome games right now, today.

Ouch :LOL:

I do bet right now it's in the process of sinking in to MS that they "messed up". Which is a good thing.

You cant spin 143k in the US, and likely just getting destroyed everywhere else in the world.

After Dec and Nov, in which they were at least parity in the States, they probably thought maybe they could wait it out. But that illusion is surely gone now.

Another good one, Voice Actor of Master Chief confirms Halo 2 Anniversary in 2014, Halo 5 in 2015?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/0...niversary-says-halo-5-won-t-release-this-year
In an interview that will publish soon on GameZone, Steve Downes, the long-time voice of Master Chief, told us we shouldn’t expect to see Halo 5 in 2014, but that the series will still see at least one release this year.

“I think you may be ahead of yourself on Halo 5,” Downes said. “I wouldn’t expect anything until 2015. What you can look forward to this year is an anniversary edition of Halo 2.”

nktrnl (I think that was his name, the GAF leaker) credibility seems to grow, as that was one of the things he outed.

That's kind of disappointing.

What if it takes place after Halo 4, but he's reminiscing about the events of Halo 2. :p

(setting up for Halo 5)

Infamous CBOAT hints at Kinectless $400 Xbox One, after disappointing NPD.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100703600&postcount=572

Kinectless version would clearly be a major strategy shift, even more fundamental than a simple price cut.

As much as i´d like an XO below 400€ i see no point of shaving K2.
What would be left? a bastardized PS4?

K2 is an integral part of the experience, whether people like it or not, without it the value comparison between platforms would be more obvious,
and not in Ms favour

I fully agree that Ms needs a competitive price asap, but not dropping the one thing that makes it different.

Past rumour, A digital only box, made more sense in my book...

I agree about the not in touch with the fanbase/customers, when i saw the reveal i was CONVINCED that they had something else up in their sleeves. I simply didn't believe that it was the vision they would pursue and this is without the DRM debacle. I am now afraid that it was exactly the vision the presented at the reveal that they actually thought would be a hit, And what we have seen since is Microsoft scrambling to finding back to the XBOX nerve. But as we all know, a wounded Microsoft can actually be the best, they will throw money at the XB1 and make sure it will get it's place.. And that will be with Kinect in every box, they simply can't give up on that.

But as we all know, a wounded Microsoft can actually be the best, they will throw money at the XB1 and make sure it will get it's place.. And that will be with Kinect in every box, they simply can't give up on that.

Agree.

MS needs to be aggressive on price. Either $400 for the package or $450 with 6-12 months Gold+XBox Music.

Cheers

Agree.

MS needs to be aggressive on price. Either $400 for the package or $450 with 6-12 months Gold+XBox Music.

Cheers

On the day Sony announced its price, I knew that $399 much more than HW strength or anything else was the dagger... the quicker to $399 the better for MS. But dont drop Kinect. It may actually end up saving Xbox in the end - especially if the Cortana AI persona tie-in comes to underpin the ecosystem.

Putting the Xb1 at the same price as the PS4 is a good idea, though we speak of roughly losing 100$ per box :|
Selling at the price without kinect would be a bad idea, the XB1 is the least performing hardware, with lesser momemtum /mind share, price elasticity makes it that it would have to price lower than competition, possibly lower than what the difference in performances justifies. It is unfair but that is how it is working.
At least the ps3 had BRD drive and free online, if both the xb1 and the ps4 were to deliver parity wrt to functionality (aka a kinect less sku), the xb1 will have to be sold quite cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back