News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Xbox One's philosophy will gain adepts over time. Currently part of the core are unhappy, but I really like the idea behind it.

First killer Kinect game of the generation..? Fru :smile: a game which recently won both the Judge and the Audience award at Global Game Jam.

Additionally, a very interesting article on the game and the potential of Kinect.

http://www.geek.com/games/fru-game-proves-microsoft-needs-indie-developers-for-kinect-to-succeed-1583827/
Wow! That game looks awesome! It's nothing that can't be done with some work with any camera based system like the eyetoy or PS4 camera, but it's the first truly innovative camera-based idea I've seen in a while. Kudos to those developers.

A lot of fans are motivating the direction of journalism these days... particularly fans of PS4. If you are a journalist and you are not absolutley panning everything about the Xbox One, and not calling everything about Xbox One a "disaster", "weak", "underpowered" or some other extreme adjective they rant... and rant... and rant... and rant again in the comment sections of every article. This is especially the case I see at Eurogamer...
In this new age of social media and consumer feedback, analysts have to look at what's going on and try to decipher it. One thing that must be apparent is that if there's a number of people vocally dissing MS, there ought to also be a number of fans defending them. If the feedback is very one-way, the obvious interpretation is that former fans are no longer supporting the platform and are either staying silent or joining in the criticisms.

Bare in mind that the people who are posting are the same populace who make up last-gen gamers, which is numerically 50/50 XB360 and PS3 fans. One would expect the comments sections of various websites to reflect that balance if it hasn't changed.

As for journalism pandering to the masses, on the one hand I agree its unpleasant and it leads to misrepresentation, but on the other, that's the very basis of democracy! Give the people what they want. If the people want a villain, give them a villain. If you are running a media site and the comments section is full of people grumbling about company X and praising company Y, posting articles to the contrary won't go down well with the people reading your site (as expressed by those who care to comment, anyhow), so it's no wonder the comment sections tend to match the editorial and vice versa. It's the same with newspapers - people buy the newspaper that slants reality towards their personal, preferred interpretation. With news and information being a commercial-sector business and not a benevolent state education service, we can't expect anything else. The motivation is to make money; not inform people and cultivate balanced, patient thinking.

Given that, I can't see how the comments sections and fora can be considered unrepresentative of the views of those demographics. I would expect there to be a contingent defending MS equal in proportion to those who support MS and their policies. Of course, MS and other companies are free to ignore one demographic to go after others, and MS could ignore the gamer noise. But the noise from the interwebs and those gamer types should paint a reasonable picture of how that demographic will respond, by and large, to the product. It's similar to a poll of random people (self selecting as those who are willing to express an opinion) giving feedback on what they like and don't like.

First killer Kinect game of the generation..? Fru :smile: a game which recently won both the Judge and the Audience award at Global Game Jam.

That should show MS that they should have opened Kinect up to XBLIG on the 360. They could have had a whole lot of innovative Kinect games. Now that XB1 is out hopefully they can do something like XBLIG for Kinect. Unfortunately I don't see the ID@Xbox filling that need. Seems too curated of a program to me. They need to open it up to anybody with an Xbox One & $100 membership.

Tommy McClain

Wow! That game looks awesome! It's nothing that can't be done with some work with any camera based system like the eyetoy or PS4 camera, but it's the first truly innovative camera-based idea I've seen in a while. Kudos to those developers.
That should show MS that they should have opened Kinect up to XBLIG on the 360. They could have had a whole lot of innovative Kinect games. Now that XB1 is out hopefully they can do something like XBLIG for Kinect. Unfortunately I don't see the ID@Xbox filling that need. Seems too curated of a program to me. They need to open it up to anybody with an Xbox One & $100 membership.

Tommy McClain
The most surprising part for me was when the character tried to climb the guy's arm on screen.

I agree with you. But they aren't supporting developers as they did when they created the XNA. I had quite a few (20 or so) indie games, one was F-Zero like (something that the Xbox always lacked), and others were RPGs and other stuff. Kinda off-t now, but you never know who can unearth a gold mine.

http://www.archaeology.org/news/1783-140203-england-cornwall-lands-end

That will always be a bit of a mystery to me. You'd think they would have just looked at Steam which is an indie goldmine, there's more indie games on there than all consoles combined probably going back a few generations, it's an incredible platform for a huge variety of quality indie games. The reason of course being because it's open to anyone which is kinda the whole point of indie! Why they would not completely open Kinect to any and all indie devs is beyond me, it's just stupid and unnecessarily restrictive.

ESRAM is completely developer controlled. And I still don't see where this idea of the XB1 being a "slow seller" and is "taking a sales kicking" and needing to overcome problems is coming from... Excluding the one week head start, the XB1 has outsold the PS4 every week it has been on the market in the US. At a $100 premium, with a ton of bad press, and with the specter of not being as powerful. How, pray tell, is that an indication of terrible performance?

Sure, the PS4 leads worldwide, but it's selling in 53 countries compared to 13 for the XB1. It would be miraculous if it _weren't_ leading worldwide.
Sometime this month, we'll get the January numbers, and we'll see whether MS has to worry. I predict not.

The challenge is that in the countries where they both are the ps4 is outselling the xb1, which shouldn't be as supply constrained since it launched in fewer countries..

ESRAM is completely developer controlled.

Thanks!

Can you read texture/geometry/shadery stuff without penalty from it too, or is it in some way (other than BW) more suited for use with the ROPs?

And I still don't see where this idea of the XB1 being a "slow seller" and is "taking a sales kicking" and needing to overcome problems is coming from...

I don't think the XB1 has been a slow seller so far - I think it's done very well for a $500 console with no games to showcase its true potential. But it does have problems - it's shit as media passthrough box in Europe due to it's poor 50hz performance, it has problems with Bluray, it has (as already mentioned) no killer software to show of the awesome Kinect 2, and ... it's $500.

I think the price is a factor, and I think it is in March, April, May that it will take a sales kicking. If it's still tracking close to PS4 in April I'll consider myself wrong.

Excluding the one week head start, the XB1 has outsold the PS4 every week it has been on the market in the US. At a $100 premium, with a ton of bad press, and with the specter of not being as powerful. How, pray tell, is that an indication of terrible performance?

As stated, I think its sales will dry up faster and than the PS4. And it's definitely not outsold the PS3 in the UK, where previously the 360 has dominated the PS3.

Sure, the PS4 leads worldwide, but it's selling in 53 countries compared to 13 for the XB1. It would be miraculous if it _weren't_ leading worldwide.

And I see MS's inability to launch in a fairly tight window globally as being a potential issue. Especially as it'll be launching later in territories where it is already a less attractive product due to cost, multiplatform games, lesser services and Kinect support etc

Sometime this month, we'll get the January numbers, and we'll see whether MS has to worry. I predict not.

I think there are already signs that MS should be careful in the UK, and I think that it won't be until a few months from now - when PS4 is amply supplied and the $500 / £429 price is starting to bite - that we'll see what MS are up against.

And I do think that all MS's major issues are addressable.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the eyes of many people on gaming forums,blogs and even pro media sites the Xbox one was doomed the day it was anounced. The whole DRM fiasco,Kinect paranoia and perceived gpu weakness did Microsoft no favors. MS addressed the DRM and Kinect concerns but alot of people were still under the impression even at launch that the system still had 24 hour DRM. Despite all these things the system still sold over 3 million consoles in 13 countrys in 2 months time. Still all people seem to talk about is how the Xbox one is in trouble and Ms needs to do something. This is getting pretty ridiculous.
There are things Ms need to address with the systems os like party chat, storage management and display problems on 50hz tvs. Why should they even be considering a price drop or kinect less sku in the first year? It would be logical to consentrate on getting the platform available in every territory they plan to release and then examine sales before they make any price adjustments. I seriously doubt Ms is in any sort of panic state considering the Xone is their highest selling console at launch.

It's pretty amazing where X1 is out now given what happened 9 months ago at the unveil and just terrible terrible PR up until launch.

Hats off to MS for pulling it together at the last minute.

In the eyes of many people on gaming forums,blogs and even pro media sites the Xbox one was doomed the day it was anounced. The whole DRM fiasco,Kinect paranoia and perceived gpu weakness did Microsoft no favors. MS addressed the DRM and Kinect concerns but alot of people were still under the impression even at launch that the system still had 24 hour DRM.

Despite all these things the system still sold over 3 million consoles in 13 countrys in 2 months time. Still all people seem to talk about is how the Xbox one is in trouble and Ms needs to do something. This is getting pretty ridiculous.

There are things Ms need to address with the systems os like party chat, storage management and display problems on 50hz tvs. Why should they even be considering a price drop or kinect less sku in the first year? It would be logical to consentrate on getting the platform available in every territory they plan to release and then examine sales before they make any price adjustments. I seriously doubt Ms is in any sort of panic state considering the Xone is their highest selling console at launch.

for real agree it's kind of silly honestly :cry:

So any thoughts/speculation on how the new MS CEO will impact MS' approach to Xbox?

Seems to me that given his background, he would have been in the always-online camp at MS.

So any thoughts/speculation on how the new MS CEO will impact MS' approach to Xbox?

Seems to me that given his background, he would have been in the always-online camp at MS.

Actually, one line of thought is that given his background, MS may not be emphasizing devices and services and consumer products in general as much.

In fact, Value Act, which got a board seat, is pushing for MS to sell off Xbox, Bing and other consumer products.

Because by repeating it over and over they hope it would come true....
I would seriously consider a price drop to drive sales after the early adopters purchased as many units as possible, but alas I am not even listening to what anyone says and basically drifting away from the core players asking for a Kinect-less SKU and things that make no sense on the Xbox One.

X1 is Kinect.

On another note, there will be details of Xbox One games with Gold soon.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447868/details-on-xbox-one-games-with-gold-coming-soon/

She is surprised at why some gamers aren't so open to changes and things like that.

Well Kinect has been out for ~4 years and very little meaningful software has come out for it. When you factor in the hype for Kinect v2 and nothing of value is released its pretty difficult to be "open" to it.

How long do they want people to wait for these new experiences this time around?

Actually, one line of thought is that given his background, MS may not be emphasizing devices and services and consumer products in general as much.

In fact, Value Act, which got a board seat, is pushing for MS to sell off Xbox, Bing and other consumer products.

He seems to be very much a services guy and not hardware orientated at all. He might spin off hardware production and turn Xbox into a play on demand service across multiple platforms running from the cloud.

She is surprised at why some gamers aren't so open to changes and things like that
T hats why no one wanted the Wii cause it was a completely different method of control to what had gone before ..... Oh wait
Also what steveorino saiz
2010 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2011 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2012 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2013 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect

So what's 2014's message?
Him perhaps just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect

She is surprised at why some gamers aren't so open to changes and things like that
T hats why no one wanted the Wii cause it was a completely different method of control to what had gone before ..... Oh wait
Also what steveorino saiz
2010 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2011 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2012 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2013 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect

So what's 2014's message?
Him perhaps just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect

I doubt they will sell off any of those things any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back