News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm... what? I posted a page or so ago to point out a glaring omission. I think the point was made well enough. Kinect isn't being ignored now, but it certainly was in the value comparison which prompted my post.

What? Too much emphasis? I'm simply saying it can't be left out altogether. If that's "too much emphasis" then you too must think kinect can be ignored in any value comparison.

I'd say the XB1 launch has certainly been successful. Of course MS wants more... any healthy business wants more, thus the discussion of possible sans-optical sku.

Well... that's like saying water is wet. Of course the exact same console at a lower price is a better value than at the higher price.

The proposition made (and I've seen many comments suggesting as much recently) is that even at price parity XB1 wouldn't sell as well (other than this thread, because "it's weaker"). In this case specifically, because PS4 with optical > pseudoPS4 without optical. But the XB1 isn't just "pseudoPS4." That may be accurate enough when describing CPU/gpu and overall architecture, where both will be relatively easy to develop for and port between, and end graphics are close enough to not matter for many. Kinect is a unique feature, core to the experience, and we really can't get even a decent handle on its importance because of the current price discrepancy. But alas, it can't just be ignored.

XB1 != pseudoPS4.
XB1 ~ pseudoPS4 + kinect.

There is the other factor, which is coolness, Sony achieved that, again, with the ps4.But that one is hard to measure objectively :)

Sure, we can only guess at how a $400 XB1 would sell. I'd guess that with MS selling so well already at a 25% higher price, and already selling most of their production, they'd be about equally as supply constrained as Sony.

But I can only guess. Perhaps the higher price has made some figure it must clearly be the better console, and at the same price they would have just bought a PS4. I can only guess. Certainly there are some (here) who see the PS4 as way cooler and wouldn't purchase an XB1 at any price.

I actually think the sans-optical sku at $400 would be hard to guess. Losing an optical drive is a complex thing, lots of facets and heterogeneity in user needs, perceptions, and opinions. And its really uncharted ground for a device of this type I think and games of this size... PC comparisons are tricky because I'm not even sure how much the user base overlaps. So it could be seen as a great value or a terrible one, likely both by various groups of consumers, and the proportion I have no idea.

First of all, the difference between xbox 360 and ps3 was muddy because Sony had the best looking games thanks to 1st parties, secondly the difference was in no way as big on 3rd party titles as it is now, the xb1 is behind by fifty percent!*

*To be determined..

Halo 4, Forza 4, Gears Judgement says HI! And now Ryse say hi!
Second waves 3rd party titles would be interesting IMO.

Sony supported both a system to system migration utility over Ethernet and a backup utility to external storage on PS3. I would expect similar features for the PS4 eventually.
I didn't know about the ethernet option but I remembering using the backup utility when I migrated from my original 60Gb HDD to a 320Gb HDD. I do recall it being bitty (a few separate operations), but I'm hopeful of something better this generation.

Before that though, I want the suspend/resume which I really thought would be here by now.

Halo 4, Forza 4, Gears Judgement says HI! And now Ryse say hi!
Second waves 3rd party titles would be interesting IMO.

Exactly, they need to say HI and there is a reason why i keep on * my claim about power, i am not convinced that the last play have been played on that part :)

And in regards to the Kinect 2, is there any upgrade options on the Live platform to XB1 games? Can i upgrade the just dance 2014 360 edition to the xb1 (when i get it). The kinect 1 pisses me off it's narrow playing field..

Dunno if it was posted but Aron Greenberg "denied" the $399 Xbox rumor on twitter.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/429438436139745281
The Anchorman V ‏@TheAnchormanV Jan 31

@majornelson @XboxP3 @albertpenello @aarongreenberg is this $399 xbox one rumor true? If so can it please at least wait till 2015 (pt1)
Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg

@TheAnchormanV No, you cannot believe everything you read on the internet..

We can parse his words or meaning or lack of, and we know acknowledging a future price cut is anathema to platform holders, but I hope it's not true. MS needs to do something.

The scary point some have made is there's no need for Greenberg to address any question he doesn't want to. So to chose out that tweet and deny it doesn't bode well imo.

We can parse his words or meaning or lack of, and we know acknowledging a future price cut is anathema to platform holders, but I hope it's not true. MS needs to do something.
If he said anything else, i.e declined to comment or ignored the question, there would be people who would take that as confirmation enough to defer buying a console until such a price drop - which we know is inevitable - happens. Nobody announces or confirms price drops for this reason.

The scary point some have made is there's no need for Greenberg to address any question he doesn't want to. So to chose out that tweet and deny it doesn't bode well imo.
They tried ignoring questions after the initial DRM reveal. Basically they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

My bad, this made me laugh
"is this $399 xbox one rumor true? If so can it please at least wait till 2015"

Are they hunting down the leak? Or was it a hoax?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno if it was posted but Aron Greenberg "denied" the $399 Xbox rumor on twitter.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/429438436139745281

Why does MS need to do something? If they can sell every unit they make at $499 (and all indications are they are managing that), then why would they lower the price? Price reductions are to spur demand, and they appear to be doing just fine at demand, even outselling the PS4 in December in the US. So where is this "need" you refer to coming from?

Why does MS need to do something? If they can sell every unit they make at $499 (and all indications are they are managing that), then why would they lower the price? Price reductions are to spur demand, and they appear to be doing just fine at demand, even outselling the PS4 in December in the US. So where is this "need" you refer to coming from?

Rumour, speculation and internet chatter. There is an article on Eurogamer right now which opens with the following:

"It's panic stations at Microsoft, apparently. Playstation 4 is wiping the floor with the Xbox One, the new console is a sales disappointment"

A lot of fans are motivating the direction of journalism these days... particularly fans of PS4. If you are a journalist and you are not absolutley panning everything about the Xbox One, and not calling everything about Xbox One a "disaster", "weak", "underpowered" or some other extreme adjective they rant... and rant... and rant... and rant again in the comment sections of every article. This is especially the case I see at Eurogamer...

People see those articles as proxy validations for their device platform of choice. When its praise of PS4 then its "look see Eurogamer and Richard know better than anyone what they are talking about." If an article presents any positive daylight about the Xbox one "richard is a shill, trying to balance his articles for his Microsoft masters to even the scales but "we" know better."

The "journalists" have become very sensitive to that and are now writing their articles from sensationalist angles every chance they get. Its fucking annoying.

Sensationalism sells, not bland truth. You still believe everything you hear on the news and everything you read on the internets?

Oh no, I don't believe this for a second. I work in the Visual FX industry which experiences very similar leaks and rumours, so I've seen first hand how different the truth can actually be.

I don't think the X0 is the disaster the internet is saying it is. I think it has some serious issues to overcome, but these issues can indeed be overcome.

Microsoft designed the product that they wanted everyone to own instead of the product their customers wanted to buy. But the underlying hardware is fine, and the software - both games and OS - can be developed and adapted.

Short term I think the Xbone will take a sales kicking, but long term it'll do just fine if MS adapt to the demands of the market.

Free up resources for games and the ports will be fine (Pure Gaming OS!)*, develop some Kinect Killer apps and it'll be seen as a plus and not a millstone, and if necessary just eat some losses on the hardware until you can cost reduce.

*I'd still like to know if the GPU would be more efficient if you could preload shaders, geometry, texures etc into the esram using the move engines and run everything from there ... does the current setup allow developers to manage the esram manually, or is this hidden behind an API that only allows render targets / buffers? ... Anyone??

I don't think the X0 is the disaster the internet is saying it is. I think it has some serious issues to overcome, but these issues can indeed be overcome.

Microsoft designed the product that they wanted everyone to own instead of the product their customers wanted to buy. But the underlying hardware is fine, and the software - both games and OS - can be developed and adapted.

Short term I think the Xbone will take a sales kicking, but long term it'll do just fine if MS adapt to the demands of the market.

Free up resources for games and the ports will be fine (Pure Gaming OS!)*, develop some Kinect Killer apps and it'll be seen as a plus and not a millstone, and if necessary just eat some losses on the hardware until you can cost reduce.

*I'd still like to know if the GPU would be more efficient if you could preload shaders, geometry, texures etc into the esram using the move engines and run everything from there ... does the current setup allow developers to manage the esram manually, or is this hidden behind an API that only allows render targets / buffers? ... Anyone??
I think that Xbox One's philosophy will gain adepts over time. Currently part of the core are unhappy, but I really like the idea behind it.

First killer Kinect game of the generation..? Fru :smile: a game which recently won both the Judge and the Audience award at Global Game Jam.

Fru is the product of 48 hours of sleep deprivation, fun, and game development during the Global Game Jam 2014, which resulted in winning both the Judge and the Audience award at the Breda site.

The theme of the jam was "We don't see things as they are but as we are", which we decided to interpret (very!) literally thanks to a Kinect.
Additionally, a very interesting article on the game and the potential of Kinect.

http://www.geek.com/games/fru-game-proves-microsoft-needs-indie-developers-for-kinect-to-succeed-1583827/

Microsoft has taken a big gamble this generation of console hardware by forcing gamers to invest in Kinect. It means the Xbox One costs $100 more than the PS4, but Microsoft’s thinking is that Kinect brings something new and unique to the platform, and that by making it mandatory developers will take advantage of it.

But the potential for Kinect has yet to be realized.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESRAM is completely developer controlled. And I still don't see where this idea of the XB1 being a "slow seller" and is "taking a sales kicking" and needing to overcome problems is coming from... Excluding the one week head start, the XB1 has outsold the PS4 every week it has been on the market in the US. At a $100 premium, with a ton of bad press, and with the specter of not being as powerful. How, pray tell, is that an indication of terrible performance?

Sure, the PS4 leads worldwide, but it's selling in 53 countries compared to 13 for the XB1. It would be miraculous if it _weren't_ leading worldwide.
Sometime this month, we'll get the January numbers, and we'll see whether MS has to worry. I predict not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back