News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a big problem is that MS did not prepare and offer a Kinect Killer app for launch. They should have made one of their devs focus on a AAA Kinect game offered at launch to blast all doubts away. Up to now, it is only a funny gimmick and hence it is difficult to argue the added value...especially at 100 more than the direct competition, which shows in sales.

I also do wonder if MS has a AAA Kinect title/application in the oven...do we have news about this or any rumor?

The best selling app on the XB1 store (I am not sure why it makes that list because its free) is Xbox Fitness, which is a Kinect app. I've seen a couple of article where MS is making an attempt to migrate the app to other devices. Its proven to be somewhat popular (1.5 million workouts as of middle Jan) but without Kinect, I don't see the novelty of the app, so I don't see the motivation in that desire to push it to other devices.

Might be easier to justify a loss leader on a driveless SKU though, as they know they will be getting revenue back through live and purchases through their store.
Still I hope they are truly looking into better prices for digital content as they promised.

I am more of a collector, plus the Blu-ray drive can be useful, so I'd love to keep my favourite games of all time/all generations to show them to... say, my grandchildren. Or whatever... But I have quite many digital games, too. In fact my X360 Slim's HD has just like 11GB of free space, and I had to leave a few games uninstalled, which are just part of my digital download history 'cos of lack of space.

mrcorbo, why is that so? I don't see the difference.

mrcorbo, why is that so? I don't see the difference.

If there were never disks to begin with, I wouldn't have to worry about the potential to want to access one and not be able to. Given a choice, I will almost always choose to pay a little more for a less-limited option, even when that limitation isn't what I would consider to be a major one.

I bought 3 disc for the Xb1 when I bought it. I was promptly reminded why I will probably never buy a disc based game again. I went to play Ryse, and it kept prompting me with a choice to go to the online store and buy the title. I was confused until I remembered that the disc must be present as licenses are stored on discs instead of the console.

Is it really going that badly for Microsoft?
It's microsoft's #1 go-to tactic to grab marketshare, open up their bulging coffers of cash and throw some of it at the public to buy loyalty...for a moment, at least.

They've been doing it for years with bing, trying to buy it into a competitive position with google (to the tune of hundreds of millions of $, if not billions), they've done it to try and sell windows 8 portable devices and so on, no wonder they're doing it with xbone as well.

It's microsoft's #1 go-to tactic to grab marketshare, open up their bulging coffers of cash and throw some of it at the public to buy loyalty...for a moment, at least.

They've been doing it for years with bing, trying to buy it into a competitive position with google (to the tune of hundreds of millions of $, if not billions), they've done it to try and sell windows 8 portable devices and so on, no wonder they're doing it with xbone as well.
I think they do that because Xbox 360 owners are more likely to buy an Xbox One, so it's better trying to attract PS3 owners.

http://kotaku.com/massive-xbox-one-rumor-dump-is-filled-with-juicy-detail-1512616526
On top of all that, according to one person familiar with the situation who spoke to me under condition of anonymity, Microsoft is currently trying to track down and identify ntkrnl. According to that person, Microsoft executives are looking to take legal action against ntkrnl

Microsoft taking legal action against neogaf to track down ntkrln? WOW

Must be some frustrated marketing person. Hope he had TOR

$399 sku without an optical drive is an interesting rumor if true. Microsoft would undoubtedly lose money on this, but I think the idea is to "make it back" elsewhere. If the rumor is true that is, obviously could just be a false rumor or a real idea they may never pursue. According to that ifixit teardown, the drive takes up quite a bit of room. Perhaps they could make a smaller (and cheaper?) console without one? IIRC blu-ray license fee is (or was a few years ago) almost $10. MAYBE at best such a product could shave up to $30 off of what it cost to make (estimated $471 in components back in November)?

Buyers would be locked in to buying games digitally which is how the steam machines will probably work as well. They couldn't sell these games back to gamestop or even buy used games from gamestop or anywhere. Buyers would be locked into the MS ecosystem which is how they planned to launch the thing to begin with before the 180. Would their be a market for this though? I don't think the time is right for an all-digital machine, nor do I think the audience is willing to accept it even if they get a $100 cheaper XB1 out of it.

A driveless SKU is optional. I don't believe the driveless SKU is supposed to replace the current one so I don't see it as a losing proposition. I'm actually very interested in it.

If it makes the device smaller and cheaper, great. MS can still sell redeemable download codes to retailers so that other retailers and B&M stores are not cut out.

$399 sku without an optical drive is an interesting rumor if true. Microsoft would undoubtedly lose money on this, but I think the idea is to "make it back" elsewhere. If the rumor is true that is, obviously could just be a false rumor or a real idea they may never pursue. According to that ifixit teardown, the drive takes up quite a bit of room. Perhaps they could make a smaller (and cheaper?) console without one? IIRC blu-ray license fee is (or was a few years ago) almost $10. MAYBE at best such a product could shave up to $30 off of what it cost to make (estimated $471 in components back in November)?

Buyers would be locked in to buying games digitally which is how the steam machines will probably work as well. They couldn't sell these games back to gamestop or even buy used games from gamestop or anywhere. Buyers would be locked into the MS ecosystem which is how they planned to launch the thing to begin with before the 180. Would their be a market for this though? I don't think the time is right for an all-digital machine, nor do I think the audience is willing to accept it even if they get a $100 cheaper XB1 out of it.

Yeah I've been thinking over a no optical SKU for a while. As the commenter above, I'm certain this would only be an optional SKU.

I think it would be nice and forward thinking if true.

$100 price difference is a lot. I've heard people say a disc drive likely costs costs $10, so this move would be ridiculous. Well it's Blu Ray so it likely costs more. Besides we all know pricing is based on market segmentation, not costs. Same reason why a 250GB HDD SKU may costs $100 more than a 100GB HDD SKU in consoles. Or why an Nvidia Titan cost $1000.

The thing is a no disc SKU could be made much smaller in form factor (which in turn can allow for packaging and shipping savings, etc), have more efficient/less expensive cooling, and so forth. I dont know that it'd be linked with a full casing or hardware redesign this early though, so you'd likely just have a blank where the Bu Ray goes.

Some time ago consoles began to have hard drives standard, and this added a major physical cost burden to console hardware that didn't used to exist. I see the eventual ditching of the optical disc as simply getting that back (trading one disc format for another) and putting things back into balance with only one disc drive per system, allowing again lower hardware pricing.

Now, I dont know how successful it would be, even at $100 off. I had assumed the price delta would be $50 (more in line with costs) which might be a tough sell.

Personally I dont think I'd be interested. If only because I have every Halo game (Wars, ODST, 1, 2, 3, 4, Reach) on disc (all playable on 360 due to BC), which I would like to continue. The disc would allow more flexibility.

Anyway with these types of things I think you put it out there and see how it goes. Even if it failed, no harm no foul imo, it would be a learning experience. I'd be interested to see the sales of such an SKU. The high price of One is definitely holding it back.

If it makes the device smaller and cheaper, great. MS can still sell redeemable download codes to retailers so that other retailers and B&M stores are not cut out.

Indeed...

Perhaps the easiest would be to use a slimmer heat sink that spreads out more over the same motherboard, so there is no need to split the manufacturing there, just the chassis. Wait for 20nm for any major change. *Shrug* not sure how else they might redesign it to be significantly smaller if they are just removing two connections to the drive. :p

It doesn't say anything about legal action against Neogaf.

I'm still kinda skeptical, not sure Kotaku has all that much cred either, but this does add even more veracity to the leaker.
And that's why I'm skeptical MS would be doing anything of the sort. They, too, know that this kind of action just makes a rumor more believable.

Voice commands could go by voice recognition. 1st P 2nd P by controller number just like now?

Is their voice recognition good enough for that? I think it currently uses both visual identification and audio recognition to recognize who to login and who's issuing commands etc.

And a key feature of their box (and very useful one at that, if you play a lot of local multiplayer/split screen as I do) is the ability to hand a controller over to someone and the game automatically recognises the change and logs them in. Or the ability to reorganise the location of views in split according to where each player is sitting.

You wouldn't be able to do any of that with just voice recognition.

The snap window has to be able play videos such as youtubes in a snapped browser, that would seem to be a real strain to me. I've seen clips where the video in the snap window is also playing very choppily, indicating a performance constraint.

You would think choppy playback of videos in snap would be a CPU constraint not really due to lack of GPU resources. And doesn't the system have a dedicated h264 hardware decoder anyway?

Is their voice recognition good enough for that? I think it currently uses both visual identification and audio recognition to recognize who to login and who's issuing commands etc.

And a key feature of their box (and very useful one at that, if you play a lot of local multiplayer/split screen as I do) is the ability to hand a controller over to someone and the game automatically recognises the change and logs them in. Or the ability to reorganise the location of views in split according to where each player is sitting.

You wouldn't be able to do any of that with just voice recognition.

I dunno, all these features are pretty miniscule though. Not many people really play multiple people in the same room anymore, that's why there's online. And even if they do, it's kind of "big deal" features. Nifty superfluous features but not worth giving up 8% GPU for.

You would think choppy playback of videos in snap would be a CPU constraint not really due to lack of GPU resources. And doesn't the system have a dedicated h264 hardware decoder anyway?

Dunno about all that just remember the videos I saw. One had a youtube playing very choppily in snap. Thought it was well known actually.

Drive should only add something like $30. Plus savings for smaller box and less transport/storage I guess.

iSupply priced it at $32, but if the box is retooled, and for instance the power supply was integrated (which on the same BOM valued at $25), and some of the electronic requirements reduced, no sata/power cables and supporting hardware on the MB, it could be a bigger cost saving than you might expect. We don't know what else they could cut from the box either, like the headset for instance. Also, not sure where Blu-ray, DVD, DD, etc. licensing fees fit into this equation either, but I assume MS pays when you download the app. So they could save there too. In addition to the transport and storage as you said.

The other thing obviously is driving the use of their online store front for every purchase, which adds to the bottom line anyway. My argument has been for having this SKU from the start; so they would at least be able to provide the same cost of entry, and build on their differentiators from there.

Maybe the 8% reserve for kinect doesn't represent all the visual functionality.

Does the PS4 reserve any gpu for its camera, which is a peripheral? Like 5-6%? Is the PS4 camera's functionality lost during gaming?

How about Kinect on the 360? Does any Kinect 360 title reserve ~40% of the 360 gpu just for the camera.

Seems like most of the reservation would be due to the Fusion aspect of Kinect, which correct me if I am wrong the PS4 camera/kinect v1 lacks but gets along fine without.

Unless a game makes heavy use of kinect, the camera's finer points and capabilities aren't necessary during gaming.

Maybe Kinect v2 reverts to a Kinect v1 like solution when games aren't needing the greater capabilities so basic visual functionalities aren't lost but devs get to claw back 8% of gpu reservation.

I mean even 2% for VC seems off since true audio's logic handles VC functionality or at least a portion of it.

Kinect v1 offers visual and VC functionality and I have never seen anyone mention it eats up half of the 360 gpu resources to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back