News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it does in the background when i play? So that i can skype and play, and receive calls, or do i have to leave the game paused in the background when i skype?

ya you'll get notifications and stuff, you just can't put it on the side screen.

30 to 35 is 18%, your much more likely to get something more near 32.4fps but that assumes that the framerate increases linearly with the size of the time slice that the game gets.

A game like that is likely to be capped at 30, so you'd mostly just see it not drop below 30 as often, or as far.

But i can have a skype (voice of course) session while i play?
Some of my friends speak on Skype while they play, so yes, it is possible as Alphawolf pointed out already.

Some feedback regarding the OS.

I really love how Upload Studio is so easy to work with and how straightforward is to create and share videos on the Xbox One. Sharing them everywhere only takes a couple of minutes.

You can upload your video to Skydrive, download and upload to Youtube.. It's certainly great and makes life easier.

Still, I would like to choose the videos I want to highlight the first. Just like you can on Youtube.

I want one of my Powerstar Golf videos to be the first video people can see in my videos list.

Since your videos are listed chronologically, and the video is a few weeks old, in order to keep it at the top with that really nice big screen hinting at what you can see in the video, I end up uploading the new videos to Skydrive and deleting them from my Xbox One afterwards.

A solution I tried is editing the video I like to place it again as a new video at the very top.

Problem is, the video is going to get "old" again after a while, AND the thumbnail representing the video isn't the same as it was, so I had to dismiss that possibility.

This leads me to another feature I'd love to have -and it isn't present-... being able to choose the thumbnail for the video within it.

It can make all the difference alluring people to watch it.

Skydrive to be renamed to OneDrive -is it related to Xbox One, or the services unification related to Threshold?-.

On the Xbox One video upload/download with Game DVR and with the Upload Game Studio application is quite easy to record, edit and share your best gaming moments, and the service will remain the same, but I got used to Skydrive.

The Skydrive rename was done because Microsoft was sued and lost for using a web product with the "Sky"+whatever naming scheme .
Since the rename was necessary, it seems hopping onto an existing branding initiative was how they chose to make the best of it.

The Skydrive rename was done because Microsoft was sued and lost for using a web product with the "Sky"+whatever naming scheme .
Since the rename was necessary, it seems hopping onto an existing branding initiative was how they chose to make the best of it.

What about "Sky...pe"? xD

I like Skydrive more, but OneDrive is Ok. Some people are receiving 20GB+ for OneDrive.

I'm not following the 2% reserve for voice controls either, isn't that what the SHAPE audio block is for?

I created my account just to bump this question.

I am shocked at the notion that kinect would use ANY gpu for audio. Especially with all we have heard here from insiders about SHAPE. Can someone (bikillian?) explain why kinect might need to use 2% GPU time slice for audio processing?

It's really weird to me that most peoples opinions are that winning this generation falls to whichever systems has the most powerful gpu. In fact it has never really mattered this much before. The best selling console of all time (Ps2) had the weakest gpu of it's console generation.
but the ps2 had the most powerful CPU IIRC about 4x the power of the xbox, graphics arent solely dependant on the GPU the CPU plays a large role as well esp with the ps2/ps3.
This time round though I think both CPU's are very similar within ~10%, the major difference is GPU

but the ps2 had the most powerful CPU IIRC about 4x the power of the xbox, graphics arent solely dependant on the GPU the CPU plays a large role as well esp with the ps2/ps3.
This time round though I think both CPU's are very similar within ~10%, the major difference is GPU

Dont know the veracity of your CPU claims (I actually strongly doubt them) But there's no way you could really argue PS2 wasn't a large amount behind Xbox. Hell the RAM alone was 64MB vs 32MB, a colossal difference (equivalent if one of PS360 only had 256 MB last gen, or either PS4/XBO had 4GB this gen).

However most multiplatform games ended up looking pretty similar due to the 'ol porting game. You had a few cases like a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory where the devs essentially built two separate versions, and in that case Xbox looked nearly a generation above the PS2/Gamecube version.

But isn' the 8% GPU time mainly doing Kinect skeletal tracking (which is what's expensive, not rendering the Snap window).

And since Kinect is always tracking players (to determine who's issuing voice commands, who's first player, second player etc) can they actually get rid of the GPU reservation?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

But isn' the 8% GPU time mainly doing Kinect skeletal tracking (which is what's expensive, not rendering the Snap window).

And since Kinect is always tracking players (to determine who's issuing voice commands, who's first player, second player etc) can they actually get rid of the GPU reservation?

Voice commands could go by voice recognition. 1st P 2nd P by controller number just like now?

The snap window has to be able play videos such as youtubes in a snapped browser, that would seem to be a real strain to me. I've seen clips where the video in the snap window is also playing very choppily, indicating a performance constraint.

Anyways while I dont really trust the Thuway/CBOAT/Famousmortimer axis at all, it was stated in the Eurogamer article that MS is looking to free up GPU reserves, so they surely are doing something in that area.

Displaying the video from the hdmi-in (eg TV) may take gpu resources. Any simultaneous html5 gpu accelerated programs running on the browser might as well, apps that use some gpu resources now wouldn't be able to.

Currently can you watch a 1080p youtube video or gamersyde video and play a game at the same time??

Displaying the video from the hdmi-in (eg TV) may take gpu resources. Any simultaneous html5 gpu accelerated programs running on the browser might as well, apps that use some gpu resources now wouldn't be able to.

Currently can you watch a 1080p youtube video or gamersyde video and play a game at the same time??

You can definitely watch youtubes. Dunno about the 1080P part.

It doesn't play the video smoothly though that I've seen (in videos)

One of the original demonstrated snap examples was watching a machinama walkthrough of the game on youtube in snap while playing the game.

I created my account just to bump this question.

I am shocked at the notion that kinect would use ANY gpu for audio. Especially with all we have heard here from insiders about SHAPE. Can someone (bikillian?) explain why kinect might need to use 2% GPU time slice for audio processing?
wow, that's a fair number of extra characters for my handle...

As far as the plan when I left, there was no plan to use any GPU time for the audio and speech pipeline, and 24 GFLOPS seems like way more than would be needed even if they were doing the entire speech pipeline in the GPU. Considering they have almost that much available purely in the audio block vector units, I'd be surprised if they had to use extra GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back