News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marketing shifting in to a higher gear?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...osoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

I like this bit:

Would be bad marketing if they did wouldn't it..?

That the decision makers behind this promotion either didn't think it would come out or were oblivious to how it would look if it did continues to demonstrate a disturbing disconnect between their internal perspective and those of people outside the company when viewing MS and their actions.

How could they not see how bad this looks, or to give them more benefit of the doubt than they deserve, how it could be made to look?

That the decision makers behind this promotion either didn't think it would come out or were oblivious to how it would look if it did continues to demonstrate a disturbing disconnect between their perspective and those of people outside the company when viewing MS and their actions.

How could they not see how bad this looks, or to give them more benefit of the doubt than they deserve, how it could be made to look?

I am pretty certain this wasn't something greenlighted by a Microsoft pr person, more likely a 3rd party marketing company that was hired to create a positive buzz. It seems to stupid almost like a setup for bad pr.

But imho this reflects worse on machima as they really can't be considered objective from here, on pretty much any subject :)

Zavvi have dropped the price of the xbone by £20. Why they have hasn't been answered yet. Probably have too much stock?
As I mention in the price drop thread, UK RRP has plenty of space for retailers to make strategic pricing decisions. A £20 drop is next to nothing (less than half a percent), but also enough to get customers looking at Zavvi, especially in getting noticed on price comparison websites. Bundle in some games and Zavvi will make more money from selling XB1's at a £20 discount than not selling them.

So very unlikely to be 'too much stock'. One could argue that XB1's aren't selling so fast that Zavvi, and every other retailer, can keep the price at max knowing they'll sell to someone desperate to find an XB1 available anywhere, but a leap to overstocking is likely a misinterpretation IMO.

I am pretty certain this wasn't something greenlighted by a Microsoft pr person, more likely a 3rd party marketing company that was hired to create a positive buzz. It seems to stupid almost like a setup for bad pr.

But imho this reflects worse on machima as they really can't be considered objective from here, on pretty much any subject :)

I think it'll blow over.

A couple of years ago, it was discovered that "independent" bloggers had received all kinds of gear from MS and that brouhaha was forgotten in short order.

MS is a master at PR, going back to the pre Web days when their PR firm Waggener Edstrom got MS name into the media, long before tech was so fashionable.

I think it'll blow over.

A couple of years ago, it was discovered that "independent" bloggers had received all kinds of gear from MS and that brouhaha was forgotten in short order.

MS is a master at PR, going back to the pre Web days when their PR firm Waggener Edstrom got MS name into the media, long before tech was so fashionable.

Recent events would seem to indicate the opposite though. MS has been one big PR disaster since E3. They really don't need anymore negativity being generated around the xbone.

Marketing shifting in to a higher gear?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...osoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

I like this bit:

Would be bad marketing if they did wouldn't it..?
It seems like Internet is a force to be reckoned with. When you read or watch average news about the Xbox One, they are filled with either negative comments or negative votes, not to break the tradition. I am more likely to watch a walkthrough youtube video or similar if the youtuber has the same games that I have.

On a different note, what are your favourite games of the console. I have 15 Xbox One games, and my favourite ones are Powerstar Golf and NBA 2k14.

Powerstar Golf is the sleeper of X1's games library, imho. Kotaku has written an article on what they consider to be the best 6 games of the console, and some of the listed games come as a surprise.

http://kotaku.com/the-best-games-for-the-xbox-one-1500422046

It seems like Internet is a force to be reckoned with. When you read or watch average news about the Xbox One, they are filled with either negative comments or negative votes, not to break the tradition. I am more likely to watch a walkthrough youtube video or similar if the youtuber has the same games that I have.

On a different note, what are your favourite games of the console. I have 15 Xbox One games, and my favourite ones are Powerstar Golf and NBA 2k14.

Powerstar Golf is the sleeper of X1's games library, imho. Kotaku has written an article on what they consider to be the best 6 games of the console, and some of the listed games come as a surprise.

http://kotaku.com/the-best-games-for-the-xbox-one-1500422046

Zero Games, not a console, just a pre-order recipe and not a single official word from Microsoft on when they will launch in Denmark. Supposedly it was early in 2014 but with nothing at all from them i am beginning to think it may be a much later date. Just Dance 2014 (which apparently is pretty bad on the PS4) was supposed to be my first kinect 2 game. I ended up buying it for my 360 instead..

It seems like Internet is a force to be reckoned with. When you read or watch average news about the Xbox One, they are filled with either negative comments or negative votes,

I couldn't agree more. Its really different than any generation before it.
I dont recall people constantly being negative about the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast or even the more recent Wii U. Hell there wasn't reactions like this about the Ps3 launching @ $600 or even the Xbox 360's RROD fiasco. Are people really still this upset over the DRM situation?
I dont know but it seems to me that Xbox bashing has become extremely fashionable as of late.

I couldn't agree more. Its really different than any generation before it.
I dont recall people constantly being negative about the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast or even the more recent Wii U. Hell there wasn't reactions like this about the Ps3 launching @ $600 or even the Xbox 360's RROD fiasco. Are people really still this upset over the DRM situation?
I dont know but it seems to me that Xbox bashing has become extremely fashionable as of late.

I think that's probably due to the current realities. Discussions about Apple tend to get downright nasty despite its success. EA ends up on top of a lot of websites worst companies list, even though it's one of the most successful publishers in gaming market.

On the other hand, damn that's a successful new product launch, especially when comparing to previous console launches.

Is it really a fair comparison though? Maybe I am recalling history wrong, but I was under the impression that these two launches are one of the few that werent' plagued by production difficulties and there's a high supply rate throughout, which is a bit unprecedented. At least the PS3 was plagued by production difficulties and shortages (not to mention the abnormally high price that limited demand). PS2 also was quite supply limited (not to mention the split launch between Japan and the rest of the world). Not really sure about X360, but I don't think they had the supply either.

Sure, these numbers now are very impressive. They are, in my view, a bit exaggerated by the huge amount of supply though. I think some of the previous console launches could have done similar numbers if supply had been better.

Is it really a fair comparison though? Maybe I am recalling history wrong, but I was under the impression that these two launches are one of the few that werent' plagued by production difficulties and there's a high supply rate throughout, which is a bit unprecedented. At least the PS3 was plagued by production difficulties and shortages (not to mention the abnormally high price that limited demand). PS2 also was quite supply limited (not to mention the split launch between Japan and the rest of the world). Not really sure about X360, but I don't think they had the supply either.

Sure, these numbers now are very impressive. They are, in my view, a bit exaggerated by the huge amount of supply though. I think some of the previous console launches could have done similar numbers if supply had been better.
I didn't say "impressive", I said "successful". Both companies managed to ship, in their launch window, millions more consoles than they ever have in a previous launch. It was a successful launch _because_ they had solved the supply issues that plagued pretty much every previous console launch.

To get down to 2% reserve you seem to have to forgo snap and anything that is kinect related that is not audio related. I'm not sure how many devs wanna be that dev that makes you forgo features that most other games have.

I disagree, I think a dev that wants that will simply disable the snap portion of the Kinect. I read it was only for video, but that could be mistaken, im assuming the whole snap functionality will be lost, and you will get a disclaimer at the start of the game. It does open a little can of worms like I had previously said on this subject, but there will be a dev to do it or push it. Also Kinect GPGPU is also down with in this reservation as well. Im just thinking voice is going to be the only thing you are able to do. we shall find out, we are all speculative right now anyhow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back