News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know where else to put this, but pm for a code for Ms Splosion Man. I won 2 of them from McDonalds, but only need one. 1st one gets it.

Based on what? The soonest the APU will get a die shrink is in 2015 with 20nm, but I don't see that shaving $100 cost. Sony had to do drastic things to get the PS3 cost down such as removing PS2 backward compatibility, waiting 3 years for component prices to drop, and taking a huge bath in losses on each unit. In fact, I don't believe the console itself was profitable until 2010/2011, which is a *long* time in console history. And with the PS3 still selling for $299 7 years after launch, I don't see the PS4 cutting costs quickly.
The Xbox One has the potential to become a hit and I think dropping the price will immensely help with that.

It is the main handicap of the console. I can understand the price to some extent, because of Kinect, the quality of the materials, the 8GB of internal flash memory, the sound block, DMEs, display planes, eSRAM, scaling chip and all that stuff to help the CPU and GPU out.

But I had never paid 500€ for a console, ever -I got a free game, if that counts- and when I purchased the Xbox 360 at launch date I even remember a guy telling me that he would never pay 400€ for a console, and that was well before the world economic crisis.

On a different note, a bit of feedback:

- Add a 3D movies section. I love to watch movies but I don't know which ones are 3D and which aren't. I have a 3D TV nowadays I want to try 3D out.

- A 3D Stereoscopic section for games too. Hope Ubisoft's Rayman Legens is 3D, I will buy it if it is.

- I like the featured videos, they add a lot to the sense of community, now that recording footage with the Xbox One is easy as pie. However some videos are rather odd. I have this guy in the featured videos list talking *sweet*, with his "da", "yo", "it is dope", and finishing with a "Hush". :rolleyes: He is so artificial that the video made me laugh and I became a follower, but I plan to drop being a follower 'cos that's not what I expect from a featured video.

If you are rich you can buy a 24 Karat Gold plated Xbox One at Harrod's for 6000£.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/12/24-karat-gold-plated-xbox-one-going-for-6000-at-harrods

gold-xbox-one.jpg

Probably a bit of a con job. Unless they specify the thickness of the plating, it could be as thin as the plating you get on connectors (which is likely). You could probably get $600 of gold plating solution and paint it on a custom metal box.

Still not as much as the white Xbox One that was auctioned off for over 11k USD.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/11/white-xbox-one-auctioned-off-for-11300/

At least the proceeds went to a good cause, which is cool. Rather than one of the people that helped make the Xbox One just getting a quick buck.

Regards,
SB
Wow, I am not rich, not even filthy rich so I am not planning to buy it. It looks cool though.

Not exactly money, but the only thing I can boast about is that I have half the library of Xbox One games.

Gotta admit I say this because I will never ever be able to say something like this anymore in the future. :smile2:

Some news:

Xbox One is going to launch in China next year, they admire Bill Gates there for various reasons, afaik:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/16/xbox-one-to-launch-in-china-next-year-report/

Web surfers searched for the Xbox One more than any other console in Yahoo:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20131216/BUSINESS/312160095?nclick_check=1

Hamburg SV, german football (soccer) team has a competition partnered with Microsoft where you can watch a match and play on the Xbox One at halftime:

http://www.soccerex.com/industry-news/hamburg-sv-partners-xbox-one-for-new-competition/

Microsoft targets advertisers with all-in-one family platform:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1184020/microsoft-targets-advertisers-all-in-one-family-platform

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamburg SV, german football (soccer) team is going to sponsor the console in Germany:
Another Cyan special headline. Real story is a football club has a competition partnered with MS where fans get to watch a match and then play on an XB1 during half time.

I really don't think every little promotional competition counts as news or rumour. I saw one the other day on TV - send a £3 text and enter a lottery to win an XB1. That's hardly the same as that channel sponsoring XB1. Or...

Go Mobile, UK mobile retailer, is going to sponsor Xbox One in UK...
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Win-Xbox-Christmas/story-20319967-detail/story.html
(It's just a prize draw for a single XB1).

It would be greatly appreciated if your posts accurately represented the content they link to.

Edit: this one's not even news!

Microsoft advertise the console as the all-in-one family platform:
MS release new console! World astounded by sudden move! MS advertise the console!!

And that's not even what the article is focused on, which is advertising. The article is talking about adverts targeting the family. The headline...
Microsoft targets advertisers with all-in-one family platform

And a quote from the article:
There’s a groundswell of feeling that Xbox One could open up new advertising opportunities – welcome news at a time when the in-game ad market has hit a particularly unpromising phase.
Do you not read anything you link to? Do you really just put "Xbox one news" into Bing in the morning and paste a few links interpreted from the link name?

Another Cyan special headline. Real story is a football club has a competition partnered with MS where fans get to watch a match and then play on an XB1 during half time.

I really don't think every little promotional competition counts as news or rumour. I saw one the other day on TV - send a £3 text and enter a lottery to win an XB1. That's hardly the same as that channel sponsoring XB1. Or...

Go Mobile, UK mobile retailer, is going to sponsor Xbox One in UK...
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Win-Xbox-Christmas/story-20319967-detail/story.html
(It's just a prize draw for a single XB1).

It would be greatly appreciated if your posts accurately represented the content they link to.

Edit: this one's not even news!

MS release new console! World astounded by sudden move! MS advertise the console!!

And that's not even what the article is focused on, which is advertising. The article is talking about adverts targeting the family. The headline...
Microsoft targets advertisers with all-in-one family platform

And a quote from the article:
Do you not read anything you link to? Do you really just put "Xbox one news" into Bing in the morning and paste a few links interpreted from the link name?
I shall try to improve that. I get most of the news in a newsfeed from the UK, there are a lot of them -updated by the minute, the entire day-, and I don't pause much to read them, although I certainly try. IGN and Eurogamer -and others- keep me interested and anything more than that just adds to the stress of the digital life, with lots and lots of information being shoved down our throats; emails, social websites, messaging, the mobile phone, forums, websites, youtube, whatsapp, etc etc. I will edit my previous post.

Other than that, nice acute analytical intelligence, your mind is sharp Shifty, I see you are fine, you are sensible and level-headed, the summer has agreed with you. :smile:

More news... Microsoft Game Studios are in a hiring spree, they are looking for 50 people to cover jobs. -thanks to NospheratuX for the link-

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12...s-perspective-to-xbox-ones-successful-launch/

New video explaining some details about the Upload feature. I learnt a couple of things.

Xbox One is the most gifted console at Amazon... by far. It's placed 5th in the list and no other console comes even close.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/most-gifte...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H5ZF08R7QHQXGZQMWFW#1

Shifty, in regards to news and stuff, as I said I try to read them all attentively and carefully, just like I watch Youtube videos from people I like in their entirety.

The cause for some mistakes is probably some natural anxiety in me, as I feel like I have to do so many things in life that I want to get certain things done as fast as I can. So for instance, I read a thread and feel like I should reply, so I reply whenever I can, and this ends up tiring me out somehow, thus in trying to get things done I am prone to write something incorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
As I pointed out already in a different thread, one of the advantages the Xbox One offers -at least to me- is that it is meant to be a multimedia machine and I can watch TV channels and stuff that I couldn't watch without it.

For instance, days ago I couldn't watch one of the documentaries I usually watch, but I could today using a Xbox One app.

It turned out to be that the documentary was about the Architeuthis, the giant squid. It is a documentary from late 2012 with David Attenborough as the narrator.

The giant squid had never been filmed live having people close to him.... I won't spoil anything, but that creature is a sight to behold when it is alive. Really... I don't know if it was the music, mixed with its amazing discovery or whatever, but the documentary was an emotional experience, a few tears were trickling down my cheeks at some point.

The night is cold and humid here, I was watching it after running off to bed.

I didn't have to use the Xbox One controller, nor I needed the TV remote. I could increase/decrease the volume of the TV with my voice alone, same when I turned off the console. "Xbox turn off" "Yes". It is all I had to do.

So the white lights of Kinect and the console fainted slowly, the TV turned off at the same time as the console and then the red light of the TV indicating that the TV is switched off, just turned on afterwards.

Sorry for the little "ad", but there are things that money can't pay and while certain devices are no perfect by any stretch of the imagination, there are things that the designers got right.

Tomorrow I will just have to use my voice when it is lighting-up time.

I wish we could set how much it raises or lowers the volume, I am frustrated that I have to say Xbox Volume Up 30 or so times to get to a desired level. So that is one remote I keep around.

I wish we could set how much it raises or lowers the volume, I am frustrated that I have to say Xbox Volume Up 30 or so times to get to a desired level. So that is one remote I keep around.

They should let you say a number.

Xbox volume 60

60 = 60% of max volume.

Maybe if enough people request that feature, they'll put it in future update.

Regards,
SB

Xbox volume 60

60 = 60% of max volume.

That implies the Xbox One knows what max volume (which with IR controls, it does not).

But yeah, that volume down command definitely needs some tweaking. Especially since it's not "Xbox, volume down" then saying "volume down" again, but you need to constantly keep repeating "Xbox volume down" because the command is not on screen (commands not on screen in green need the word "Xbox" in front of them to work in case you haven't discovered that yet").

That implies the Xbox One knows what max volume (which with IR controls, it does not).

Aren't we only talking about what the Xbox One is outputting. So it'll be 60% of whatever max volume the TV is set at for the Xbox One!?!?

If not, then yup, I can't see how that would work.

Xbox volume 60

60 = 60% of max volume.

Not sure how that would work. My TV and receiver aren't broadcasting their current volume level for another device to modify.

The best they could probably do is allow the user to adjust the amount of stepping the volume up command does. (on my receiver it raises or lowers the volume 3 steps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back