News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing called inflation means 99 dollars then is approaching 199 now.

The 99 console may be dead, I dont believe PS2 ever reached it, settling at 129 IIRC.

But I get what you're saying. There should be more price cuts coming eventually. At least to 149/249.

The 360 got a temporary MSRP of 179 on the 4GB model I think, and the 250GB model with two free games was/is like $249 (another temporary holiday price). They are good deals. And then there were lots of Black Friday deals etc on top of those.

Inflation is relative though, electronics generally speaking have dropped in price over past 10 years which is the norm. TVs, cameras, laptops, and so on all have gotten cheaper why should consoles be any different?

The dollar has weakened a lot since 2005. Here in Denmark a 360 250GB is less than a third the launch price.

Cheers

well, laptops, but now people pay 500+ for iPad's and smartphones...and have TV's gotten cheaper or you just keep getting more for a relatively stable $400-1000 price? Consoles could be argued the same, the PS4 is way better than the PS3 for example.

Consoles have a unique necessity of being graphically impressive. It's why you wont see a big player say, debut a 99 console at launch (something like Ouya)

Saw this video where IGN ran through 50 voice commands on XB1

Seems to be working pretty well. And IGN has done some past videos where Xbox had trouble with their commands, so it's not like they edit these or try to make Xbox look good or anything.

The 360 had the longest time period ever between launch and first price drop. MS waited 20 months and drop the price of the premium from $400 to $350 while the core dropped only $20. Price drop percentages of 13% and 7%.

Sony waited 18 months for the PS2 and shaved 33% or $100 off their consoles. One of the major reason why the PS3 was such a sticker shock was the PS2 had dropped to $199 in 2002, $179 in 2003 and $149 in 2004. Consumers were conditioned to low console prices when the 360 and PS3 dropped. Consumers aren't conditioned to such low prices as most paid $250 or more for their 360 or PS3 consoles. Most consumers are looking at an XB1 that 2X or less more than their 360 or PS3. While the gen before a lot of gamers were looking at a 3X-4X difference.

The PS3 was also hampered by the lack of popular franchises at the start of its life. While COD a billion dollars franchise is supported as well as other popular titles for both the PS4 and XB1.

The market and launch circumstances are much different this time around.

Saw this video where IGN ran through 50 voice commands on XB1

Seems to be working pretty well. And IGN has done some past videos where Xbox had trouble with their commands, so it's not like they edit these or try to make Xbox look good or anything.

That's effin' awesome at times, he didn't even have a Xbox One controller at hand. I learnt a couple of things by watching that video too.

Thanks for sharing.
The 360 had the longest time period ever between launch and first price drop. MS waited 20 months and drop the price of the premium from $400 to $350 while the core dropped only $20. Price drop percentages of 13% and 7%.

Sony waited 18 months for the PS2 and shaved 33% or $100 off their consoles. One of the major reason why the PS3 was such a sticker shock was the PS2 had dropped to $199 in 2002, $179 in 2003 and $149 in 2004. Consumers were conditioned to low console prices when the 360 and PS3 dropped. Consumers aren't conditioned to such low prices as most paid $250 or more for their 360 or PS3 consoles. Most consumers are looking at an XB1 that 2X or less more than their 360 or PS3. While the gen before a lot of gamers were looking at a 3X-4X difference.

The PS3 was also hampered by the lack of popular franchises at the start of its life. While COD a billion dollars franchise is supported as well as other popular titles for both the PS4 and XB1.

The market and launch circumstances are much different this time around.
Yes, things evolve. I think we will never see a generation like the previous one, not in my lifetime.

It was a surprising generation in various ways. Close sales -except the Wii-, close hardware specs -except the Wii-, and similar philosophy -except the Wii-.

Now all the consoles are entirely different both in their design and philosophy.

That's effin' awesome at times, he didn't even have a Xbox One controller at hand. I learnt a couple of things by watching that video too.

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, things evolve. I think we will never see a generation like the previous one, not in my lifetime.

It was a surprising generation in various ways. Close sales -except the Wii-, close hardware specs -except the Wii-, and similar philosophy -except the Wii-.

Now all the consoles are entirely different both in their design and philosophy.

I think this gen will be better. Consoles are coming of age. In the next 20 years we will have senior citizens who owned consoles during their childhood. Consoles have transitioned from toys to full blown CE devices readily accepted and used by adults who aren't hardcore but general consumers.

There is a reason why rumors/evidence of Valve, Google and Apple wanting to enter the space. Its why MS got into the gaming business. Consoles are poised to become just as relevant as PCs with the potential to usurp PC as the most powerful device in your home. There will be a central hub that houses most of computing power (or act as a backbone of a distributed computing model) of one's home. Consoles unlike PCs aren't pressured to become mobile devices. And already sit in a very ideal place for a central computing hub.

There is no genre of computing applications that more ubiquitous as well as performance hungry as console gaming. Consoles will benefit from that concept as those who were born into the video game age become the bulk of the general consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this gen will be better. Consoles are coming of age. In the next 20 years we will have senior citizens who owned consoles during their childhood. Consoles have transitioned from toys to full blown CE devices readily accepted and used by adults who aren't hardcore but general consumers.

There is a reason why rumors/evidence of Valve, Google and Apple wanting to enter the space. Its why MS got into the gaming business. Consoles are poised to become just as relevant as PCs with the potential to usurp PC as the most powerful device in your home. There will be a central hub that houses most of computing power (or act as a backbone of a distributed computing model) of one's home. Consoles unlike PCs aren't pressured to become mobile devices. And already sit in a very ideal place for a central computing hub.

There is no genre of computing applications that more ubiquitous as well as performance hungry as console gaming. Consoles will benefit from that concept as those who were born into the video game age become the bulk of the general consumers.
That's a pretty interesting theory, I had never thought of that.

Google, Apple and so on certainly see the potential. Look at Youtube, filled with videos of console games and the huge revenue around that.

Here where I live this past generation was arguably the best ever, as it was when people began to view, respect and understand consoles as something more than toys thanks to Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. The market matured a lot in that sense.

People play... their entire life. Old people here play cards, some young people do either, and dominoes. By old I mean people in their 60s-70s-80s.... They go to a bar and play, that's human nature.

The generations of the future will probably play videogames, voice controls and motion tracking will be common occurrence.

I am in my thirties so maybe, just maybe, I will probably see some of that.

Consumers aren't conditioned to such low prices as most paid $250 or more for their 360 or PS3 consoles. Most consumers are looking at an XB1 that 2X or less more than their 360 or PS3. While the gen before a lot of gamers were looking at a 3X-4X difference.

Also keep in mind that the Wii U is not a competing product at all. It's as if there's no third set top console at all.

for the wii u to do anything it needs to get to $200 before the other players drop prices. But honestly if they are still at $300 when kart and smash hit they are dead in the water. I love both games and put in countless hours into them on all previous Nintendo systems , but i'm not buying a wii until it hits $200

Also keep in mind that the Wii U is not a competing product at all. It's as if there's no third set top console at all.

Well, the Wii actually took longer than the 360 to get it first price cut in the US at almost 3 years and was already at > 50% of its current userbase size.

The Wii U did 460K worldwide from April 2013 to Sept 2013 so it might not be relevant at all this gen.

Xbox Live holiday deals for this festive season, from December 17th to December 31st, features some special offers -to be determined-.

Additionally, Xbox Live users can enjoy a free movie weekend, which means you can watch a free movie from Dec. 13th to Dec. 15th.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/holiday2013

Xbox Live holiday deals for this festive season, from December 17th to December 31st, features some special offers -to be determined-.

Additionally, Xbox Live users can enjoy a free movie weekend, which means you can watch a free movie from Dec. 13th to Dec. 15th.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/holiday2013

Nice.

Also, NewEgg has 12 Months Gold for $40 straight up. However if you use coupon code "MASTERPASS" and checkout with MasterPass the price drops to $36. Shop Link (MasterPass is an alternative checkout system like V.me by Visa. You do NOT need to use a MasterCard. Visa, AMEX, and Discover cards are all valid options.) Deal Source

Nice.

Also, NewEgg has 12 Months Gold for $40 straight up. However if you use coupon code "MASTERPASS" and checkout with MasterPass the price drops to $36. Shop Link (MasterPass is an alternative checkout system like V.me by Visa. You do NOT need to use a MasterCard. Visa, AMEX, and Discover cards are all valid options.) Deal Source

Brit you da man!

Nice.

Nice offer... Alas, I can't purchase anything regarding Xbox Live Gold renewal though, 'cos I have surpassed the period of time for advanced payments.

On another note, for those who wonder how you can record 5 minutes clips, you just have to say "Xbox Snap", then select "Games DVR" from the list of apps and press on "Start Recording". :smile2:

Kinect is unplugged issue...

For those of you unfortunate to be hit by the "Kinect is unplugged issue" here are several steps to try before having to go through a device replacement service request.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4275/t/1627233.aspx or http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...wont-turn-on#0267826900ed46979645a04256960ffe

Follow these steps precisely to reset the connection of the Kinect sensor.
  1. Power the console completely off by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for 10 seconds until the console shuts down completely.
  2. Unplug the console’s power
  3. Unplug the Kinect from the Xbox One console
  4. Plug the console power back in
  5. Power the Xbox One back up
  6. Go to Settings -> Kinect. To do this, go to home by pressing your Xbox Button, press the menu button on your controller and select Settings. Then select Kinect.
  7. At this point plug in the sensor and wait 5 seconds for it to be recognized. Note: If your sensor needs an update, this screen will indicate that an update is in progress.

An additional step to try is resetting device to factory defaults. WARNING: Doing so may lose some save data for singleplayer games. Unplug your Kinect then navigate to Settings > System > Restore Factory Default. Do not plug in your Kinect until it says so during the setup guide. This has fixed the issue for some, but not for all.

Failing to get your Kinect fixed through these steps means you will need to Register your Device by logging in to My Service at xbox.com and opting to Register a device. go through the steps and enter in your Xbox One serial number, viewable in Settings > System > Console Info > Serial Number. Then select Manage Devices. There should be a Xbox One Kinect device listed with an option to Request Service.

Video covering the process:

I expect xbox one to be 399 by next year. Then 349 by 2016.

Based on what? The soonest the APU will get a die shrink is in 2015 with 20nm, but I don't see that shaving $100 cost. Sony had to do drastic things to get the PS3 cost down such as removing PS2 backward compatibility, waiting 3 years for component prices to drop, and taking a huge bath in losses on each unit. In fact, I don't believe the console itself was profitable until 2010/2011, which is a *long* time in console history. And with the PS3 still selling for $299 7 years after launch, I don't see the PS4 cutting costs quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back