News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is that and what speed does it give you if you don't mind me asking?
50 MB/s supposedly. Costs $79 a month, including TV. Was costing me $85 a month for the Internet connection alone at the same speed. I tried streaming only with broadcast only channels, but my house is not is a good position for broadcast, so I couldn't get fox or cbs, and hulu plus is not a good enough replacement. Streaming only is just not mature enough yet, for me.

50 MB/s supposedly. Costs $79 a month, including TV. Was costing me $85 a month for the Internet connection alone at the same speed. I tried streaming only with broadcast only channels, but my house is not is a good position for broadcast, so I couldn't get fox or cbs, and hulu plus is not a good enough replacement. Streaming only is just not mature enough yet, for me.

As a comparison, in Canada Rogers will charge you $80 a month for a 45/4 Mbps connection with a 150 GB cap. Then you have to add tv service on top, though you do get a price break for bundling. I went with a different provider to get the same speed for I think $40, but with a 350 GB cap.

Off topic here, but that's the reason I'm not using TV on Xbox One. Oh, and the One Guide doesn't work here anyway. They don't have channel guides for Rogers or Bell, as far as I know. I imagine the providers are not being cooperative, as they are complete jerks in just about everything.

Again not sure how on topic it is but I just saw this article about how bloomberg is starting an app on Apple TV. http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/11/apple-tv-bloomberg-news-crackle-watch-abc/ The difference is this app offers live business news programming 24/7, rather than being another boring clip archive type app.

Evidently the WSJ app had already been doing this, but only for certain times not 24/7.

This is the last frontier imo in TV moving from over cable to over IP, and these small steps are big imo. The problem is big cable will fight it every step.

For Xbox, I dont see say, Cable Tv losing a ton of clout over the next 5 years, even if it did happen, as being that big an issue. Simply because imo the entire TV integration could be lost from Xbox without it affecting much in terms of console demand imo.

It's a sideshow, but one that doesn't actively hurt anything.

As a comparison, in Canada Rogers will charge you $80 a month for a 45/4 Mbps connection with a 150 GB cap. Then you have to add tv service on top, though you do get a price break for bundling. I went with a different provider to get the same speed for I think $40, but with a 350 GB cap.

Off topic here, but that's the reason I'm not using TV on Xbox One. Oh, and the One Guide doesn't work here anyway. They don't have channel guides for Rogers or Bell, as far as I know. I imagine the providers are not being cooperative, as they are complete jerks in just about everything.

I always thought program guides were fairly public information.

Shaw is actually a bit cheaper than Rogers it seems. I'm at $69 (there's also a bundle discount) for 50Mb with a 500GB cap, but there's no One guide support (yet) for Shaw either.

I always thought program guides were fairly public information.

Well, I'm sure you can look it up online, but I'm not sure how Microsoft is being provided that information for One Guide. I imagine there is some special format and delivery method to make sure the guide is kept up-to-date.

just think , this is at a $500 price point , we should see even better numbers next year with a price drop and no production problems

2m sold to consumers in 18 days:

http://majornelson.com/2013/12/11/xbox-one-sells-2-million-units-in-18-days/[/QUOTE]"I am so happy I could dance!". :smile2: Yay, that's truly amazing news. This means that there is going to be some competition after all and this is healthy for us gamers.

Now it's only the Wii U that seems to be left behind. Go WiiU, go. It directly competes with the PS4 and Xbox One, two consoles that have better hardware capabilities, but if it would only begin to take off....

I would like to live an interesting 8th generation of consoles.

Well, I'm sure you can look it up online, but I'm not sure how Microsoft is being provided that information for One Guide. I imagine there is some special format and delivery method to make sure the guide is kept up-to-date.
There are data providers that charge for this. TiVo uses one of them, but I don't know what their coverage is outside of the US. Doesn't help that even in the US, your lineup can be different by zip code, and in some places, even in the same zip code. You can have the same package, from the same provider, and your lineup could be different than the guy down the road.

just think , this is at a $500 price point , we should see even better numbers next year with a price drop and no production problems

Titanfall in Spring and Halo 5 in Fall, I see no indication for a price drop until 2015 at the earliest when Microsoft *might* be able to switch to 20nm for their APU.

A 500$/€ price is a bit steep for many people, even for early adopters it is a considerable expense. A console at 500$ will eventually experience some deceleration at sales.

If they decrease the price of the console to 350$ then the stores will suddenly conk out with people wanting to buy it.

Titanfall in Spring and Halo 5 in Fall, I see no indication for a price drop until 2015 at the earliest when Microsoft *might* be able to switch to 20nm for their APU.

I think the cost of the system will slow sales down even with titanfall and halo 5. Mabye a holiday bundle but aside from forza what other first party games can they include. Ryse is what M ?

This. X360 hasn't had a price drop in how many years now? It'll only drop if demand is less than they want.

Regards,
SB

I like to put it this way, since the Xbox 360 was released in 2005, the cheapest console has only dropped $100 officially. Neither console has an official price below $199, whereas the PS2 and Xbox Classic easily spent 2 years at that price point. And there are *still* people buying those consoles in huge numbers.

Sales won't slow down because of price, they'll slow down because of lack of content. I can only imagine what a $99 Xbox 360 would do to sales numbers, but even after 8 years, we still aren't there yet.

Anyway, if you have any inkling of buying either Xbox One or PS4, I wouldn't bother waiting for a price drop.

I like to put it this way, since the Xbox 360 was released in 2005, the cheapest console has only dropped $100 officially. Neither console has an official price below $199, whereas the PS2 and Xbox Classic easily spent 2 years at that price point. And there are *still* people buying those consoles in huge numbers.

Sales won't slow down because of price, they'll slow down because of lack of content. I can only imagine what a $99 Xbox 360 would do to sales numbers, but even after 8 years, we still aren't there yet.

Anyway, if you have any inkling of buying either Xbox One or PS4, I wouldn't bother waiting for a price drop.

This thing called inflation means 99 dollars then is approaching 199 now.

The 99 console may be dead, I dont believe PS2 ever reached it, settling at 129 IIRC.

But I get what you're saying. There should be more price cuts coming eventually. At least to 149/249.

The 360 got a temporary MSRP of 179 on the 4GB model I think, and the 250GB model with two free games was/is like $249 (another temporary holiday price). They are good deals. And then there were lots of Black Friday deals etc on top of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back