News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get 12 months of Live from Ebay UK for about 30£ pretty much always. That's about 36 euros at the moment and you can find them even cheaper than that.

I use cdkeys.com for my Xbox Live codes in the UK
12 month live is £25.99
£50 gift card £43.99
£25 gift card £22.99
£20 gift card £18.99
£15 gift card £13.99

You can also get a 5% off code by liking them of Facebook.

They were even cheaper than this just before the Xbox One launched. I made the decision to go digital with my first batch of games and stuck £200 worth of credit on my account for about £160.

They have some Euro cards as well, €50 for £36.79 which works out around €44.

They also do iTunes and PSN gift cards.

I use cdkeys.com for my Xbox Live codes in the UK
12 month live is £25.99
£50 gift card £43.99
£25 gift card £22.99
£20 gift card £18.99
£15 gift card £13.99

You can also get a 5% off code by liking them of Facebook.

They were even cheaper than this just before the Xbox One launched. I made the decision to go digital with my first batch of games and stuck £200 worth of credit on my account for about £160.

They have some Euro cards as well, €50 for £36.79 which works out around €44.

They also do iTunes and PSN gift cards.
Wish I knew before.... I am not living in the UK but the codes should work everywhere.

I have paid my Xbox Live subscription til 2016, they don't allow me to pay for the service anymore because that's the maximum time limit for the subscription to be paid with advanced payments.

We bought up a lot of xbox live and money cards at target. They had a 20% off your entire order if you had bought $70 worth of stuff on black Friday. So that plus the target debit cards 5% made a nice little dent in what we bought

Holding both controllers in my hand right now (360 and Bone), and I can already tell I don't like the shoulder buttons on the Bone controller. My index fingers slide from the triggers to the shoulder buttons much easier on the 360 controller.

By the way, how long does the Bone stay in the "Initial Update" phase? I swear it's been like 20 minutes already with no apparent progress other than "Getting ready . . ."

There is activity on my modem though, so something is happening. I think.

How are you holding the controller? More specifically the bumpers? For me they are much easier to press and to switch to triggers, but I noticed I leave my fingers diagonally to them, not completely aligned to them like I used to on 360... It feels really natural that way, and it's giving me some issues going back to 360 because now it feels like the grip is all wrong XD

The initial update took a good while to apply here too, I think it's normal.

The XBone controller is close enough. I don't really notice the slightly crappier shoulder buttons while playing, so it's a non-issue for me.

Not a big fan of the bumpers, but the thumbsticks are way better. Much better for finger tip gaming. The rumble is nice, though I haven't seen any rave effects yet. Only have Battlefield, and maybe Forza shows that off better.

This is most peculiar and contradicts everything I know about HDMI. HDMI is supposedly 100% digital and shouldn't ever suffer the type of signal degradation issues common to analogue cables. If the signal isn't being received 100% as sent and isn't being a) being detected and b) is beyond error correction and data redundancy system to restore, surely this suggests the HDMI implementation at one (or both) ends of the cable aren't doing their jobs properly? :???:

Isn't 100% signal integrity the point of HDMI?

You can definitely have a bad HDMI cable, a few years ago I couldn't get a Blu Ray player to work, was shocked to discover switching HDMI cables fixed it, since I had basically swallowed the whole "an HDMI cable cant possibly be bad" rhetoric.

Monoprice that people held up as the greatest thing since sliced bread back when PS3 didn't come with an HDMI cable, is problematic I think. They basically just source the cheapest chinese stuff they can find, which is fairly proven, and leads to problems. In my case it was a monoprice HDMI cable that was bad.

Just think about it, if instead of copper a chinese cut rate supplier mixes who knows what impurities into the wire to save a cent or two, quality will suffer. I am not sure whether HDMI is binary "it works or doesn't" as claimed, ERP's posts leads otherwise, but either way, you could at least get a cable that "doesn't" work as i did.

I found a article online where Monoprice cable that was claimed as UL listed fire retardant actually wasn't and it was discovered. This could be all kinds of bad for example if your house burned down and your in wall rated speaker cable actually wasn't.

I always thought HDMI was working or not working. Then I got pulled into wrapping up a project for a company we used to work with, they had just swapped 3000 HDMI cables in a hotel chain. Because somebody skimped on the quality of the HDMI cable when they created the BOM for this project.

The hours that went into debugging software and troubleshooting in general, in addition to sourcing and replacing the cables. Labour cost ain't cheap in EU :) Safe to say, some heads rolled in Taiwan.

You can definitely have a bad HDMI cable, a few years ago I couldn't get a Blu Ray player to work, was shocked to discover switching HDMI cables fixed it, since I had basically swallowed the whole "an HDMI cable cant possibly be bad" rhetoric.

I've never read any suggestion that HDMI cables could not go bad, cables obviously are not indestructible, but the HDMI spec includes provision for each 64 bit data packet to include 8 bits BCE ECC parity so that a lost bit here or there can a) be detected and b) handled.

But this is not happening here. My limited experience with bad HDMI cables is that you get a blank screen, not munged data output. Of course for these things to work properly both sender (Xbox) and receiver (TV) have to be adhering to the HDMI spec properly.

You are generally correct. Failure usually means no signal. It is possible to have a borderline cable but in that case it is also an obvious problem. Think clicks and pops or audio dropouts, and chunky sparklies, pixelation, video freezes, dropouts, whole channel color errors, etc.

Subtle ghosting, blurriness, color accuracy, etc is pretty much impossible even acknowledging the possibility of high jitter.

Subtle problems in the audio domain are theoretically possible due to HDMI not having in general the best jitter performance, especially on some of the earliest gear, but that is now essentially isolated to rare cases in the cheapest equipment (and ironically sometimes in the most expensive esoteric gear where looks and marketing trump engineering), and even then on the fringes of human audibility.

I've only felt them in Forza, and in that game you can use it to feel your way around corners because you feel know how you need to break or gas. It's an immediate AHA moment like the original launch of the rumble pack with Starfox 64.
It is a game changer, especially in games like Forza 5. The game is pretty unforgiving without assists and the rumble feedback helps me to brake before going out of the track because it tells the bumps, the feel of the tyres, etc.

News:

PS4 outsold the Xbox One 1,25 million to 750k during November, according to Patcher. -not fully confirmed yet, but I trust the numbers 'cos of the reasons explained in the news article-

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Play...ox-One-Delivered-750-000-Analyst-407500.shtml

More news. A couple of nice reviews:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/84412 -this one says the console has mountains of untapped potential-

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/121206/xbox-one-review/

Xbox One breaks record sales in Australia!! :smile2:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/09/xbox-one-sets-new-australian-sales-record-report/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never read any suggestion that HDMI cables could not go bad, cables obviously are not indestructible, but the HDMI spec includes provision for each 64 bit data packet to include 8 bits BCE ECC parity so that a lost bit here or there can a) be detected and b) handled.

But this is not happening here. My limited experience with bad HDMI cables is that you get a blank screen, not munged data output. Of course for these things to work properly both sender (Xbox) and receiver (TV) have to be adhering to the HDMI spec properly.
My TV tells me that the signal quality through HDMI is 94-95 from the Xbox One, which is really good. The Xbox 360's signal quality was at 94, too -using the super expensive MS official HDMI cable, 50€...-.

Some feedback, just in case Major Nelson is reading this:

- My game discs spin sometimes even if I am not playing the game, and when I play it shouldn't be spinning either, yet it does, in both situations.

For such a quiet console that sound of the disc spinning is annoying.

- The DLNA thing works like a charm for me. Problem is that sometimes my Windows 8.1 laptop doesn't find the console and I have to disable the "Play To streaming" feature, then enable it again for the laptop to detect the Xbox One.

It's not bad, once again just annoying, but it happens at times.

I'm patiently waiting for the day when I can buy an app on my Windows phone, and also use it on a desktop pc, ultrabook, tablet and xbox one. I thought with the 50,000+ coders they employ that they would have been there by now but apparently not, still have a few more years to wait it seems.

its an effing joke. it just seems like a monkey shop.

I've only felt them in Forza, and in that game you can use it to feel your way around corners because you feel know how you need to break or gas. It's an immediate AHA moment like the original launch of the rumble pack with Starfox 64.

Impulse triggers are far more noticeable if you are driving manual vs. automatic. And when you feel them, you're like WOAH, this really helps!

did you set her up with a guest account? how? my xb1 tries to create a TrueBlakjedi1 account but that hasn't really been a successful approach.

Set a new account for her, it scares her that the Xbox greets her as she walks in the room. Really hasn't helped with voice recognition, it really has problem a problem with her (all women?). For xbox on she probably needs 10 attempts and this goes for all other commands. I need to invest in an HDMI splitter before she chucks it through the window.

I'm patiently waiting for the day when I can buy an app on my Windows phone, and also use it on a desktop pc, ultrabook, tablet and xbox one. I thought with the 50,000+ coders they employ that they would have been there by now but apparently not, still have a few more years to wait it seems.

No kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back