News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it does. Our electrical output is set on 50hz and a lot of people still have old TV's.

Just out of curiosity, do computer monitors also run at 50 hz over there? I honestly don't know. :p All the foreign countries I go to are based around the Pacific (US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Taiwan) and they all are all NTSC 60 hz (30hz for legacy analog TVs).

Interesting, after doing a little digging around it appears that 50 hz for PAL isn't even standard. PAL in Brazil is ~60 hz, for example. And then there's hybrid/psuedo PAL ( which does 30, 50 and 60 hz) which was introduced in the 1990s? So confusing.

Regards,
SB

Just out of curiosity, do computer monitors also run at 50 hz over there? I honestly don't know. :p All the foreign countries I go to are based around the Pacific (US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Taiwan) and they all are all NTSC 60 hz (30hz for legacy analog TVs).

Interesting, after doing a little digging around it appears that 50 hz for PAL isn't even standard. PAL in Brazil is ~60 hz, for example. And then there's hybrid/psuedo PAL ( which does 30, 50 and 60 hz) which was introduced in the 1990s? So confusing.

Regards,
SB

Oh yes it's a real mess. I thought with HD broadcasts they'd unify everything but obvs not!

Regards,
SB

I don't believe PAL stipulates a refresh rate, that derives from the PPF. PAL just describes a method of display an image on CRT.

I'm guessing support for 50Hz in PAL territories were important because it eased conversion between PAL and HD. Running legacy content (reruns) on HD is trivial. Supporting CRTs and legacy LCD/Plasmas with analog tuners is also a lot easier.

A clean slate design is likely to have had higher refresh rate (At least 72Hz) and to have ditched interlace completely.

Cheers

move into the 21st century
450px-Digital_broadcast_standards.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television

What the heck has 100 pages of ultra boring PAL semantics discussion to do with my X1?

My One arrived apparently....that is the good 'News'...the bad One is that I can't play my new consoles until X-Mas :(

I hate being an adult with job and such things...

What the heck has 100 pages of ultra boring PAL semantics discussion to do with my X1?

My One arrived apparently....that is the good 'News'...the bad One is that I can't play my new consoles until X-Mas :(

That's a long time, and you will get to play your consoles. But I understand what you mean.

I have been more than 24 hours without playing or turning on the console and I would love to play it some more time. But I've had enough for two sleepless nights.

On the PAL issue it's been like 15 years that TVs accept PAL 60. In fact I never used PAL 50, afaik, when playing a console.

Wha....? Why not? I was so looking forward to your impressions on next gen stuff.

Congrats on the Console though !

Wha....? Why not? I was so looking forward to your impressions on next gen stuff.

Congrats on the Console though !

Same for the PS4 :( Will arrive in the next couple of days...and a buddy of mine will take care of both packages...although I swear that I'll bite his head when he opens them and plays without me!!

I did move to another place recently, Amazon wrote me weeks ago that I better don't change my order details (like e.g. address) because otherwise the can't guarantee day one editions or whatever....no problem I thought...but now due to all the new lectures I have to give, which costs way more time than I thought initially, I won't have time until the X-Mas holidays kick in...in summary: this is the first console launch for me ever...as I am typically a day zero adopter!!

On the other hand...I can watch B3D impressions and see which titles to get besides the obvious ones.

Same for the PS4 :( Will arrive in the next couple of days...and a buddy of mine will take care of both packages...although I swear that I'll bite his head when he opens them and plays without me!!

I did move to another place recently, Amazon wrote me weeks ago that I better don't change my order details (like e.g. address) because otherwise the can't guarantee day one editions or whatever....no problem I thought...but now due to all the new lectures I have to give, which costs way more time than I thought initially, I won't have time until the X-Mas holidays kick in...in summary: this is the first console launch for me ever...as I am typically a day zero adopter!!

On the other hand...I can watch B3D impressions and see which titles to get besides the obvious ones.
That's a bummer. I am a second time early adopter, and it was a great birthday gift.

I am going to give my impressions I have purchased CoD: Ghosts, Forza 5, Need for Speed Rivals, Killer Instinct, Ryse with a free T-shirt, FIFA 14 for free, Powerstar Golf, ACIV, and Crimson Dragon.

In the end I just played a match in FIFA 14, 40 minuts of NFS, a little KI but not much, and I played Forza 5 mostly. I spent most of the time taking my time to know about the options, trying some settings, installing games, using certain tools, etc. I enjoy myself with those things.

The rest of the games are untouched, but I will slowly share my impressions whenever I can. I am not planning on buying more games in a while, and the XBL Arcade/Indie section doesn't exist for now either.

I had a lot of those games on the Xbox 360. I remember purchasing one of them because of the advice of a fellow forumer. I think it was Breah of Death VII.

Congratulations on your new consoles.

That's a bummer. I am a second time early adopter, and it was a great birthday gift.

I am going to give my impressions I have purchased CoD: Ghosts, Forza 5, Need for Speed Rivals, Killer Instinct, Ryse with a free T-shirt, FIFA 14 for free, Powerstar Golf, ACIV, and Crimson Dragon.

In the end I just played a match in FIFA 14, 40 minuts of NFS, a little KI but not much, and I played Forza 5 mostly. I spent most of the time taking my time to know about the options, trying some settings, installing games, using certain tools, etc. I enjoy myself with those things.

The rest of the games are untouched, but I will slowly share my impressions whenever I can. I am not planning on buying more games in a while, and the XBL Arcade/Indie section doesn't exist for now either.

I had a lot of those games on the Xbox 360. I remember purchasing one of them because of the advice of a fellow forumer. I think it was Breah of Death VII.

Congratulations on your new consoles.

Thanks Cyan! I am looking forward to your impressions...I am still on the fence wrt KI, Ryse is a must have imo!

Got my X1 on launch night, sad bugger queuing up I know. Surprisingly given the rumours prior to launch the setup was straight forward and everything seemed to be functioning. Went through the tutorials and started to use the voice commands, again surprisingly they functioned near flawlessly. Fixed my Virgin Tivo box to it and I must say it's nice jumping between games/apts and TV so effortlessly.
I saw the the posts regarding the juddering issues and I must confess I hadn't noticed anything whilst watching TV. Indeed I watch the Cardiff, Man Utd game through last night and not once did the picture jump (what a result for us Cardiff supporters by the way). I then watched the film Soul Man and again no juddering. In fact the only place I have seen juddering is when watching the replays on Forza 5.

Although the UI is not perfect I think MS have shown plenty of vision in there approach and a lot of what they are offering is very impressive. Shame much of it was hidden under the DRM shambles.

Oh that's bad and sad.. that voids any tv use through x1 for me :( I'm quite sensitive for that kind of judder...like watching bluray videos before my TV had real 24hz support.

It's really quite a complex problem - one that I had somewhat with my XBMC as well. If you switch Hz mode depending on the source, then when going from watching a movie at 24Hz and then pressing the button to get to the menu (while the movie is still playing) and the mode will switch to 60Hz (as that's what the XBMC UI is running at) and will cause a short blackout, as the projector/TV switches to the correct mode.

However, if I force XBMC to play all content at 60Hz (even the movies that run at 24Hz), then there is no blackout when switching between UI and movie and everything is seamless.

Strangely, despite forcing 60Hz output, I have no judders in my movies, which IMO goes against all logic given that I know I am actually watching 24Hz content at a 60Hz refresh rate. Weird isn't it?

Getting back to the inherent problem though - if Xbox was to support 24Hz/25Hz/30Hz (24Hz/50Hz/60Hz) modes for its input, then you can say good bye to smooth snap. Either they'll limit the Xbox's UI to run at the same refresh rate as the content that's being passed through or you'll have the black outs when your TV is forced to switch modes. Which wouldn't make sense, since Snap runs side by side - so it's either going to be limiting the UI of the Xbox for legacy/24Hz framerates or people will have to leave with judder.

Tested PS3. It outputs 50 Hz on a PAL DVD, but 60 Hz for everything else, so iPlayer is displayed at 60 Hz. I don't know if the BBC produce 60 Hz versions at source for their internet content, or just convert 50 Hz recordings. If the latter, the XB1 experience is nothing new. The only difference is in viewing live TV. Web supplied PAL content is going to be just as juddery on console, PC or tablet, all with 60 Hz refreshes. If the console can't switch and it is noticeable, I suppose you'd want a 'TV Mode' where, when watching 50 Hz sources, the console switches to 50 Hz refreshes. That should be doable in FW. The console does switch down to 50 Hz when watching PAL DVDs, right?

Tested PS3. It outputs 50 Hz on a PAL DVD, but 60 Hz for everything else, so iPlayer is displayed at 60 Hz. I don't know if the BBC produce 60 Hz versions at source for their internet content, or just convert 50 Hz recordings. If the latter, the XB1 experience is nothing new. The only difference is in viewing live TV. Web supplied PAL content is going to be just as juddery on console, PC or tablet, all with 60 Hz refreshes. If the console can't switch and it is noticeable, I suppose you'd want a 'TV Mode' where, when watching 50 Hz sources, the console switches to 50 Hz refreshes. That should be doable in FW. The console does switch down to 50 Hz when watching PAL DVDs, right?

As I said earlier, I have my Virgin Tivo box connected to the the X1 and having watched TV through it I have not seen anY juddering affects, none. The only time I have seen the picture judder is on replays whilst playing Forza 5. I will have a look at the F1 tonight because if you should see juddering anywhere it should be in something like F1.

Aside from the 50hz content issues: How are blu-rays encoded in the USA, is it not 24fps?
So why does the xbox one not support a correct 24p output?

I can understand the "lolz europe uses 50hz?" comments, but I think blu ray is a pretty big deal

Aside from the 50hz content issues: How are blu-rays encoded in the USA, is it not 24fps?
So why does the xbox one not support a correct 24p output?

I can understand the "lolz europe uses 50hz?" comments, but I think blu ray is a pretty big deal

Did anyone check it as a Blu-Ray player and confirm that it jumps out of 24p when you enable the overlay.
Or do you mean when you loop a Blu-Ray player through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back