News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.

:oops:

Xbone gone trippy!

This video actually potentially highlight the latency when running a signal through the Xbox really well? You can see it when he navigates the UI with the controller. If you could film it with a high framerate camera, you could definately get some accurate numbers. Would definately put some substance to the impressions that you may not want to hook up a gaming device to the HDMI in of the Xbox One.

Yes, various impressions of running the PS4 and other consoles through the HDMI In indicate it introduces lag.

This video actually potentially highlight the latency when running a signal through the Xbox really well? You can see it when he navigates the UI with the controller. If you could film it with a high framerate camera, you could definately get some accurate numbers. Would definately put some substance to the impressions that you may not want to hook up a gaming device to the HDMI in of the Xbox One.
That's what I thought. Looks to be a couple frames latency added.

You would hope the system realizes that the kinect isn't calibrated and prompts the user to repeat the process...
Don't know about the One, but in the 360, we added code in one of the updates that measured the ERLE (Echo Return Loss Enhancement, a measure of how well the pipeline is performing) in realtime while the pipeline is running. We wanted to put in a prompt for if your ERLE was low over a time period, but we got vetoed by the UI team. Apparently users don't appreciate prompts, and we couldn't make the prompt have a "don't tell me again" setting without a ton of work.

Pretty sure HDMI like component or many other pass thru scenarios can introduce lag, that is why any decent AV receiver has lag presets for audio that allow consumers to match the sound with the delay of the video feed.

Anybody mind doing a quick survey of availability? I just checked this morning and the One is in stock at nearly every store anywhere close to me that sells electronics (the PS4 is as well, but I didn't want to make this a versus discussion).

Is that just my area or is availability pretty large everywhere?

..must refrain from buying one. ...must refrain from buying one.

Am I understanding this correctly that it is quite crucial that the loudness at which you issue your commands are calibrated properly? From previous posts, I was under the impression that this tech is that good, that it would work good enough, irregardless if I am sitting in the same spot where I calibrated it or moving around the livingroom - and assuming that livingrooms vary in sizes, from small to large or having various ambient noises. It might be easy to equalize out sounds going through the Xbox, but what about different noises - noisy road outside etc.

I guess that's something you can't say, but if judging by that video the commands don't work well enough with what I figure to be reasonably calibrated in a more or less quiet room - what about less optimal circumstances (e.g. large room, more ambient noise, people moving around)?

I'm not disputing that the tech can work well indeed - but I question how often this is the case in the average livingroom outthere. How well were these things tested? Did MS test these things out in the field (e.g. employers homes) or were these tests confined to offices where these things are simulated to some degree?
No, the loudness of the audio coming out of the speakers has to be lower than the volume of the audio used in the calibration tones, or echo reduction performance degrades very quickly. They use beamforming to reduce the effect of ambient noise, but the louder your room is with sounds not generated by the Xbox, your performance will be degraded proportionally.

We used to get reports of people complaining about bad speech performance, and when investigating, you would get a story like "Well, I saw it said to calibrate loudly, but it was late at night and I didn't want to wake the baby". Like I said, inability to follow simple directions.

There was definitely testing done in real living rooms. There are at least two official setups in a house Microsoft owns for testing purposes. There are 3 or 4 special built rooms on campus configured as living rooms of different sizes, each with two or three independent audio systems set up, and there were hundreds, if not thousands of users in the Beta, using the product in their actual home, with it sending back telemetry all the time.

As an aside, the MS offices are basically the absolute worst case for echo reduction code, they're small, so the echo return is right on the heels of the original sound, and they have stark walls and glass, so they have multiple echo returns for every noise. The tech works significantly better in real environments.

Until just a few years ago, multichannel echo reduction was considered a theoretical impossibility. Physics limits how well you can do it, and it can never be perfect. The Kinect audio pipeline actually surprised a number of audio researchers, because it manages to almost reach the theoretical best you can do most of the time, if calibrated correctly. Unfortunately, it's like Prius fuel economy, it's so finely tuned that any disruption in its calibration can have a surprisingly large effect on performance.

Does anyone really care how many one star reviews there are on Amazon? The whole thing is a flawd picture to beginn with - if they ship 50'000 consoles through Amazon and even 0.1% (50 people) of those had a problem with their shiny new launch toy - you d'still have enough pissed of buyers with the time of the entire world to fill an entire page filled with complaints and 1 star reviews - "verified" or not - while the rest of the 49'950 would be happily playing their new console not being bothered about writing any reviews at all.

I mean seriously.

Microsoft [and Sony] I am sure are hating todays age of the internet, with youtube and blogs reaching mainstream coverage... especially with Xboxs not entirely perfect working voice-controls, the coverage and youtube videos sure aren't doing them any favours where the mass market is concerned...

Online reviews are relatively worthless for anything but mudane products that lack a crazy fanbase.

Trolling makes reviews impossible to trust. Especially when you go to Amazon's review page and see a bunch of one star reviews from people that have the competing console and its accessories on their amazon wish list, while seeing 5 star review from people who admit they don't own the product. That basically tells you, you can't use it to extract anything of value.

Anybody mind doing a quick survey of availability? I just checked this morning and the One is in stock at nearly every store anywhere close to me that sells electronics (the PS4 is as well, but I didn't want to make this a versus discussion).

..must refrain from buying one. ...must refrain from buying one.
:smile2: If you want it, come and get it.

I am completely awed by the console. It was shipped in the morning and I shall try it later.

Launch trailer of the console from yesterday's launch event in the US -lots of surprising titles (that's where the Quantum Break gif comes from):

Same here in NZ, ps4 not available yet, next week I think.
Perhaps manufactures have learnt something with all the big launches we have over the last few years, IOS devices/samsung devices which sell millions in a weekend that theyre better at manufacturing a lot quickly

Same here in NZ, ps4 not available yet, next week I think.
Perhaps manufactures have learnt something with all the big launches we have over the last few years, IOS devices/samsung devices which sell millions in a weekend that theyre better at manufacturing a lot quickly

Oh boy:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/92767/xbox-one-gebruikers-klagen-over-leesfouten-van-de-disc-drive.html

Sorry in dutch, but briefly:

XB1 owners are complaining about:

- Reading errors of the BD drive => many retries, strange sounds of the BD drive. See also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOPcMT5DHWY

- Green screen of death, stuck at the loading screen first time.. update doesn't load (nice one Microsoft !!!!)

So what gives this time.. interns at the Foxconn assembly plant who don't like Microsoft ?

amazon reviews? hell Im waiting for the youtube comments for the real info
blu-ray problems? well its obviously a sony sabotage, should of gone DD only

Then we now know the real defective, 1.27%.

My numbers were in jest, mocking the Amazon discussion.

Yeah, the Amazon numbers for Xbox One are pretty much useless due to all the trolling it is getting. Unless someone wants to spend the time weeding through all of the crap for just the verified owner reviews.

One thing that is amusing however. A lot of Xbox One 1 star ratings are from verified PS4 owners who gave the PS4 5 stars (obviously).

Regards,
SB

One thing that is amusing however. A lot of Xbox One 1 star ratings are from verified PS4 owners who gave the PS4 5 stars (obviously).

I wouldn't call it amusing though, it is kind of sad. Why cant people just be happy with what they have instead of being obsessed with trying to put down on other people choices? That is just pesky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back