News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really weird anymore I think. As Albert said DRM cancellation fckd things up somewhat. Something has to take a hit to get the rest of it up and running in time.

But they were first with Twitch.tv I would expect them to have the ground work done, of course I have no idea how their software teams are working, but I wouldn't expect the DRM scheme to slow down stuff like this.

I didn't believe the rumors about the software problems, but maybe there was something true about them.

There is the chance that they may have underestimated the number of people that would stream, but seeing the ps4 with its limited eye adaption and then the xb1 where everyone can do it, they ordered more bandwidth :)

The Kinect 2.0 voice recognition technology works...most of the time

See I wonder about that. I saw a video, I don't remember which website, and the guy was saying how voice recognition wasn't always accurate. But then you'd listen to him talk and he had a heavy accent, so when he would say "Xbox Guide" to me it sounded like he was saying "Xbox Guy". Heck I couldn't understand him half the time, so what chance does voice recognition have. Maybe they will have to add mispronunciations to it's voice recognition, so when people say things wrong it can make a guess as to what they really mean.

Not really weird anymore I think. As Albert said DRM cancellation fckd things up somewhat. Something has to take a hit to get the rest of it up and running in time.

I really need to understand exactly what having versus removing DRM did to their plans TECHNICALLY... how could DRM affect connecting to twitch.tv? Yet PS4 implements it sooner? What the hell is going on in redmond?

This last one related to the RGB -I guess?- is very interesting. :smile2: Should I set the console to Standard RGB instead of Full RGB? I am all for it if need be!
Those instructions are for blu-ray watching. The video standard for the hi-def formats requires 16-235 RGB levels, so setting your TV to extended or full will make the movies look like crap. It shouldn't be an issue nowadays since most TVs negotiate the colour range as part of the HDMI handshake. Set your console to whichever setting looks best, but remember, crushed blacks _look_ better in some cases, (more contrast) but you're losing data. Hopefully the calibration patterns the console provides will help you decide which mode looks the best.

I really need to understand exactly what having versus removing DRM did to their plans TECHNICALLY... how could DRM affect connecting to twitch.tv? Yet PS4 implements it sooner? What the hell is going on in redmond?
Removing the online activation for all games required them to schedule some significant work items, for securing the games without online activation, for redesigning the game containers, for rethinking the chain of trust as related to the ODD. People would have to be retasked on to these new work items, perhaps people who were working on the streaming infrastructure.
You never get something for nothing.

See I wonder about that. I saw a video, I don't remember which website, and the guy was saying how voice recognition wasn't always accurate. But then you'd listen to him talk and he had a heavy accent, so when he would say "Xbox Guide" to me it sounded like he was saying "Xbox Guy". Heck I couldn't understand him half the time, so what chance does voice recognition have. Maybe they will have to add mispronunciations to it's voice recognition, so when people say things wrong it can make a guess as to what they really mean.
Doesn't matter. The system has to work with the user's voice, irrespective of how badly they may speak. If the machine doesn't do what the user requests of it, the user will be frustrated and consider it a poor product. Unless MS supplies a 'Learn Queen's English in 40 days' training programme with every console, it'll have to cope with accents. And concatenations. And poor pronunciation (in some households of England, consonants are very ill defined).

I hope it works well if just to show we're making good progress, as speech recognition has been around for ages yet has never been particularly robust. We won't know until user reports in the coming week.

So tomorrow and day after is when we will get significantly more news regarding XBox One? Any chance anything will be published tonight?

So tomorrow and day after is when we will get significantly more news regarding XBox One? Any chance anything will be published tonight?

We should start seeing Xbox One hardware/platform reviews in 7 hours(11:59pm EST).

Tommy McClain

The 360 voice recognition worked fine for me 'till I moved it a forgot to recalibrate. X1 should be loads better than that.

360 Kinect works just as well if I speak at a normal level. NW England (Cheshire) accent.

But they were first with Twitch.tv I would expect them to have the ground work done, of course I have no idea how their software teams are working, but I wouldn't expect the DRM scheme to slow down stuff like this.

I didn't believe the rumors about the software problems, but maybe there was something true about them.

There is the chance that they may have underestimated the number of people that would stream, but seeing the ps4 with its limited eye adaption and then the xb1 where everyone can do it, they ordered more bandwidth :)

Streaming and managing it would require some level of OS intervention running in the background and UI control, thus it's an OS related job, which has been the subject of all the rumors flying around for a while. Banging out a Twitch app to view streams is a different matter.

I'd like to see what MS comes up with for this on the UI side. PS4's is very basic now but seems to get the job done.

The problem I foresee is that I currently use a Harmony remote and it expects to be the one and only device controlling your equipment, otherwise it won't know what devices are on/off, etc. If I use the Xbox 1 to start controlling my TV and DVR to take advantage of OneGuide and voice control, I'm in for some interesting support calls from the wife and kids. I'm going to need something to switch to my other media configurations as well as control volume, which is only via my receiver (don't use internal TV speakers at all), so I don't see the Harmony remote going away.

Hmmm, what to do.

Maybe all is not lost yet...
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/5121982/xbox-one-logitech-harmony-universal-remote-support

Doesn't matter. The system has to work with the user's voice, irrespective of how badly they may speak. If the machine doesn't do what the user requests of it, the user will be frustrated and consider it a poor product. Unless MS supplies a 'Learn Queen's English in 40 days' training programme with every console, it'll have to cope with accents. And concatenations. And poor pronunciation (in some households of England, consonants are very ill defined).

I hope it works well if just to show we're making good progress, as speech recognition has been around for ages yet has never been particularly robust. We won't know until user reports in the coming week.

Yeah I guess there is little they can do when people say words wrong, just like if they press A on the controller but meant to press B, there is no way for code to ever know that. I think voice will just never work right for some people especially when they miss letters and syllables from basic words.

I am subscribed to this guy :eek:

Kim Dotcom is also promoting it.

New video on the uses of Kinect

Last edited by a moderator:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/18/t...stuff-that-didnt-make-it-in-part-1-exclusive/

Neat article on the different iterations of the Xbox One controller. Here's one of them...

prototype-screen-xbox-one-controller.jpg

Sounds like the played with other ideas like smell, touch pad, speakers, cameras & projectors. It has more pictures & they plan on 3 more parts of the article to go into more detail.

They also have a user poll & what people would have wanted. Not surprising most people want a touch pad like the PS4. But #2 is the scent emitter, LOL.

I would have liked a VMU type screen that could have been used as a watch. But the projector would have been cool too. Agree that the speaker & camera would have been redundant with Kinect.

Tommy McClain

Yeah I guess there is little they can do when people say words wrong, just like if they press A on the controller but meant to press B, there is no way for code to ever know that. I think voice will just never work right for some people especially when they miss letters and syllables from basic words.

If a stranger can still understand what someone's saying when they're not saying it right, then there's enough there to figure it out.

Keep trying computers.

Edit: Xbox One is a Slice of the Future. RollingStone console review, they love the all-in-one stuff. Get stuff wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a stranger can still understand what someone's saying when they're not saying it right, then there's enough there to figure it out.

Well that's just it, even I couldn't understand what he was saying. When he was saying "Xbox guy" I thought he was talking to the Microsoft dude next to him. But after a few times of him saying that I realized oh maybe he means "Xbox Guide" which is indeed what he meant. If a human can't understand them then it will be difficult to get a working voice recognition solution for those people.

They use Kinect to figure out when you're holding the controller, so when you put it down it's put into a low power mode to extend battery life. That is fucking cool. Battery life is apparently very very good on the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back