News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FK0DBLJFX23VH2L.MEDIUM.jpg

KCRqe7m.jpg

xbox-one-bootup.png

I always wondered why green as it not a common color amongst tech brands. Outside of the Android bot, I can't seem to remember any other brand that makes heavy use of the color like the Xbox. Blue, red, yellow and even orange seems more common.

How do they solve the problem that Games/UI will rely on 60Hz update but TV feeds outside North America/Japan are 50hz even in HD?
All HDMI TVs support 60 Hz input. Check your PS3 and you'll see TV refresh runs at 60 Hz (typically info button, or it's displayed in the corner as the TV changes res+refresh). Refresh shifts to 50 Hz on PAL content (which is stupid because we can broadcast in 60 Hz as the receivers are all 60 Hz capable. Dumb old legacy poop. :rolleyes:)

All HDMI TVs support 60 Hz input. Check your PS3 and you'll see TV refresh runs at 60 Hz (typically info button, or it's displayed in the corner as the TV changes res+refresh). Refresh shifts to 50 Hz on PAL content (which is stupid because we can broadcast in 60 Hz as the receivers are all 60 Hz capable. Dumb old legacy poop. :rolleyes:)

I know they support but Xbox will need to change from 60Hz to 50Hz every time you go to TV app and the TV needs to change to 50hz which will blackout the screen for a second unless they have some 50Hz->60hz conversion

If you snap function to get your 50hz TV feed beside a 60hz output i dont know how it would not look framey

I always wondered why green as it not a common color amongst tech brands. Outside of the Android bot, I can't seem to remember any other brand that makes heavy use of the color like the Xbox. Blue, red, yellow and even orange seems more common.
I dont really know. It like XBOX started as an NVIDIA supported console hence the green, and then that stayed

I know they support but Xbox will need to change from 60Hz to 50Hz every time you go to TV app and the TV needs to change to 50hz which will blackout the screen for a second unless they have some 50Hz->60hz conversion

If you snap function to get your 50hz TV feed beside a 60hz output i dont know how it would not look framey
Oh, you mean composition of sources. That's a good question. I presume there'll be frame doubling for every 5th frame on a PAL source. One to ask MS about.

I've just experienced HDMI-CEC first hand this weekend when I got my new TV (old one was HD Ready, and extended color gamut was just about it's sole feature - never thought the difference with my new TV would be this big, and that new TV costs less than half that original TV from late 2006 :D - I think it was released in April, and I bought it in December)

Anyway, works flawlessly and don't ever want to go back now.

Its a shame that HDMI-CEC does not support return to the original input state after PS3 shuts down [I'm also using my 32" HDTV as PC monitor].

Oh dear. Does anyone actually have any good experiences with these type of automated "find your IR code" mechanics?

The last few times I've attempted to find my remote by it finding the mute signal, I wasted nearly 6 hours of my life and at the end of it, I was pretty close to throwing the stupid remote out the window.

I've had this experience with the Harmony remote and some other no-name brand. Works great if all you want to get configured is a simple TV (one would think) but neither the Samsung TV I was setting up, nor the new Denon receiver actually worked flawlessly after that. Why most remote makers don't just focus on a learning-function and leave it at that is beyond me. I sincerely hope MS includes a learning abilty to learn the IR actions instead of relying on generic IR codes that probably don't work flawlessly.

My HTC One has worked flawlessly so far on 6 or 7 different TV models of 4 different brands so far, in addition to my DVB-T/IPTV-box (Nexgen or something like that, branded by my ISP).
At most it has taken 2 tries before it found the right model from the selected brand. (Oh, and at least on it you can use your remote to teach the commands if necessary, I'd expect XB1 to support that too)

This was one thing I'd been hoping for. It won't be as good as a pro calibration, but if they can do just about as good a job as that Disney disc people say is good, then I think it's a nice to have.
I calibrated the TV with very simple tools that do a good job at helping people to calibrate the TV, but the images I used were like 990x768 pixels in size and weighed around 8Kb.

I also had to use the DLNA option Play To in Windows 8, and play the images from the PC to the Xbox 360 that way.

With those pics having such a resolution meant for some PC LCD monitors and my TV being 1080p some settings might need a rework in the long run.

I settled the matter for now, 'cos the image quality is uniform and nice, but if the calibration is based on the resolution you chose, being native and so on, I think an utility like this can potentially be so very interesting and/or useful.

The problem I foresee is that I currently use a Harmony remote and it expects to be the one and only device controlling your equipment, otherwise it won't know what devices are on/off, etc. If I use the Xbox 1 to start controlling my TV and DVR to take advantage of OneGuide and voice control, I'm in for some interesting support calls from the wife and kids. I'm going to need something to switch to my other media configurations as well as control volume, which is only via my receiver (don't use internal TV speakers at all), so I don't see the Harmony remote going away.

Hmmm, what to do.

This was one thing I'd been hoping for. It won't be as good as a pro calibration, but if they can do just about as good a job as that Disney disc people say is good, then I think it's a nice to have.
You might be surprised. The "Spears" of Spears and Munsil (The definitive HD calibration disc) works at Microsoft, on the XBox team. He was my manager, in fact.

Oooh, I never properly calibrated my TV. I just turned the movie mode pre-set's colour temperature to standard, and dynamic contrast off.

Six hours!?!? :oops:

I don't know how things are in other parts of the world but having played with IR remote controls on UK TVs on a few ancient PDAs I've found that most common TV manufacturers have, at most, about a dozen variations of IR codes. I.e, so once you know it's a Samsung or a Sony set, there are only a few code sets to try.

It was actually more. The whole saga started at christmas two years ago when my Mum got a midrange Harmony remote. Stupid thing was only configurable over a PC and didn't work at first because she has one running Ubuntu. After a lot of fiddling with Virtualbox, I got it working through the virtualized Windows, but we quickly found that her equipment - that being her Samsung TV, a htpc running xbmc, her TV Box (no-name brand, but handed out by the TV provider) and an old Sony amplifier with CD player weren't supported - only through "generic IR codes". I pretty much threw that remote out the window after having visions of burning down the Logitech HQs.

She recently upgraded to a new Denon AVR (X4000) and using this as a great opportunity to reduce her 4 remotes into one, I later bought a no-name remote at MediaMarkt with learning ability and support of 4 virtual remotes. Perfect I thought. Until I found out that the stupid remote only had a memory learning capacity of about 20 buttons across all 4 virtual remotes (despite the box claiming 107 buttons). Fuck me. So, after I read a bit online, I figured the proper way to do it is to configure the remote by using the supplied IR codes and use the learning mode to round of the functions that aren't supported.

During the course of the next several hours, I tried out fiddling with the IR codes. You basically have two options; either enter the IR code supplied in the manual for your TV make and hope that everything works - OR use the automated mechanism that looks for the mute command at which, accoarding to the manual "congratulations, everything works now". My ass it did. While most basic functions worked, like turning on and off the TV or - no surprise - the mute button, the "back" button didn't work, rendering the navigation through the TVs on-screen-menu pretty useless. I tried all IR codes supplied by the manual too, but I quickly found that while basic functions tend to work, many functions (especially navigation stuff) does not.

Now, that was with the TV - the most generic device in her household. Don't even ask how I fared trying to configure the XBMC/HTPC - which actually should be easy as well, since the remote is nothing more than the most generic "Windows remote" outthere. Not one single command worked - it didn't even have a supplied IR code. I also tried to configure the TV box (which is the most important one in her household because it gets used the most frequent besides the TV) - which, accoarding to some research falls under the category of SAT-box by Motorola or Nokia. I tried both - and I tried all IR codes - and while some basic functions ended up working, most didn't (no number pad, no navigation and certainly not any of the more complex functions on the remote). In the end, it was either going to be burning the remote to the ground, jumping out of the window or - keeping the TV box remote and mapping the 3 other remotes into that stupid piece of **** (while using up the 20 odd learning function memory to map the Xmc/Htpc and using the remaining 3 buttons to map the most common buttons that weren't supported by the IR mapping for the TV and amplifier).

The result is still a remote that has around 30 buttons of which only 10 work per virtual remote (I couldn't map all of them, so focused on the important ones) - which, is ironically is actually a win/win, since there's less chance she'll press something that'll mess up or blow up something. But it's a far cry from what I call flawless or expect in a modern CE device.

Now, there is a point to be made that perhaps, the no-name remote I got, was perhaps not the best one to buy and that there are better. Maybe. But even if I were to get a more expensive one, you still have the problem that these IR codes are usually quite "generic" and no supplier of remotes actually has a centralized database where each and every device outthere is registrered. I suspect most have some generic code that suits a wide range of products within the same brand and you'll be lucky if most of them work. Maybe I just have too high expectations that I expect pretty much 99% of the buttons to work when my remote "supposedly" found the device and is "now configured properly". :rolleyes:

So in conclusion - my expectations of someone fiddling to get their devices to work on a Xbox through the same basic mechanic of searching and finding the correct IR code that magically makes all your functions work is close to zero. But as some have pointed out - perhaps these things work flawless in other countries, although I can't quite figure out the difference, as it's not as if our TV is some homebrewn built in someones basement or something - and even the HTPC running xbmc is nothing more than a generic Windows remote. Even the Denon AVR is nothing out of the ordinary - despite it only being on the market since a few months. If these problems are anything to go by - I wish anyone attempting (and running into problems) a lot of strength. And prey the Xbox has at least the ability to learn buttons, to make up for those functions that don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back