News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually made a cardboard cutout from it's dimensions and I think it will be ok. I know every time I buy a phone I regret not going bigger, so this time I'm going *big*.

I'm used to it :) On a more serious note, as the girls I book more and more abandoned their iPhones and switched to Android many were rocking Samsung Note's. So over time I basically got used to that size, to where my 4.5" Nokia 920 now honestly looks way too small. I figure I use my phone for actual phone calls about 0.1% of the time, so I'm just going big on screen size this time. As a bonus means I won't need a tablet either, my phone will pull double duty. The only bummer is that they yanked wireless charging from the 1520, but then again it also means the phone is thinner than the 920 so that's something I guess.

yea I just got a note 3 , its actually kinda small. The mega and max are to big though.

How setting up your TV works on Xbox One.

http://imgur.com/a/AtQh8

HDMI signal is detected

Starting the setup process

Brand input

IR codes for your brand are found on Live

TV commands 'blasted' out of Kinect's IR sensor and back to your TV

If the commands worked, Xbox now knows which TV model you have and can control it

uEoMJVX.png

Enter zip/post code to find your TV service for the One Guide (if your country is supported at launch)

qViyxY5.png

Select your cable provider from the list of available services in your area

YJWjawq.png

Select your TV package/lineup

Pl91ZsK.png

It has been also confirmed that Internet Explorer for Xbox One features support for modern standards like HTML5 and CSS3.

it would be interesting to hear if Xbone can overlay and process HDMI input signal without quality degradation ... I have very bad experience with Onkyo AVR, when simple HDMI pass through resulted in quality loss

Has the xbox live 2 games thing been confirmed for Europe
What exactly are you talking about?
Games for Gold on 360 works in Europe. If you mean the major nelson announcement on twitter that something similar will be announced in 2014 for Xbox One well then, basically all we got is an announcement of a coming announcement.

it would be interesting to hear if Xbone can overlay and process HDMI input signal without quality degradation ... I have very bad experience with Onkyo AVR, when simple HDMI pass through resulted in quality loss

Again, the overlay stuff is useless if you tossed out the cable box and have the cable decoder inside the TV (CI+).

Again, the overlay stuff is useless if you tossed out the cable box and have the cable decoder inside the TV (CI+).
One can assume novcze hasn't and that's why (s)he is interested in whether there's quality degredation or not. Although I can't understand any HDMI pass through introducing degredation as it's a pure digital signal. If the output isn't the same as the input, the box is processing the image. The Onkyo must have been scaling or something.

How odd. Which onkyo model avr did you try? I absolutely love the quality of my Onkyo AVR.

What exactly are you talking about?
Games for Gold on 360 works in Europe. If you mean the major nelson announcement on twitter that something similar will be announced in 2014 for Xbox One well then, basically all we got is an announcement of a coming announcement.

That exactly, I read something somewhere that indicated a confirmation, I guess it was the announcement of the pending confirmation..

It would move live from haha what? To Ohhhhhh I need this..

It has been announced that they will make an announcement for Games for Gold in 2014 for XboxOne. No details yet.

it would be interesting if the xb1 could detect the cablecard and control that too. if the TV can control the cablecard, and the Xbox can control the TV, it is possible.

How odd. Which onkyo model avr did you try? I absolutely love the quality of my Onkyo AVR.

TX-SR706

I saw some green noise in certain grey shades, but that was on test pictures.
I'm not bothered by this as I use AVR only for audio decoding/amplifing.

TX-SR706

I saw some green noise in certain grey shades, but that was on test pictures.
I'm not bothered by this as I use AVR only for audio decoding/amplifing.

Oh, and that was one of their higher/middle-range items too. I never saw any of that on the four onkyo's I had used. My parents are using my old TX-SR606, it's still going strong. My sister has what was my first AVR, maybe a 4xx/5xx from a HTIB kit. I did have one model where the entire processor board died and wouldn't pass through any video or audio signal. There was nearly a 1 year backlog on the processor board too and in the end it was cheaper to get an entirely new model then to try a repair with no ETA. Now I'm using a TX-NR809.

Hopefully the XB1 doesn't have HDMI signal issues.

Hopefully the XB1 doesn't have HDMI signal issues.
How can it? Novcze's situation has to be faulty procesing by the Onkyo. The box receives a numerical value for each pixel, such as (128,128,128) mid grey. If the output is to change from that, the box has to read that value and be processing it. There's no way to shift the value of a pixel from its source via anything other than processing - interference enough to affect the picture by changing bit values will just reduce the image to noise as I understand it. And I've never known interference be an issue. Our entire computing paradigm is dependent on binary data being preserved. HDMI pass through should just be repeating the input values.

Should yes, but anything could happen. ;) Just look at the numerous HDMI-handshake issues that exist or even DF's black-crush on the XB1 video capture to see what might happen.

I can understand handshaking faults, but not image quality issues due to HDMI. That'll come down to the software (even if implemented in hardware) processing of the data. It's certainly possible that XB1 could take the input and run it through a different gamma curve, say, before outputting. that'd be surprising though. Shifts in colour and noise shouldn't happen at all unless there's a bug.

Green noise and similar artifacts are usually a function of a bad cable, you see it more commonly with longer cables but it could be an issue with the pass through device, basically it's noise.

Microsoft really needs to find a solution for OTA TV. I want to use my Xbox One to watch TV, but no way in hell I'm paying for cable again. Ah, if only the IPTV dream could be realized...

Microsoft really needs to find a solution for OTA TV. I want to use my Xbox One to watch TV, but no way in hell I'm paying for cable again. Ah, if only the IPTV dream could be realized...

Yeah, you'd need an external tuner with HDMI output. Then you could basically hook it up and watch, but you'd still need the remote to flip channels. Should be able to snap tv, and flip back and forth with games though. Channel guide would be messed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back