News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another note, Microsoft have congratulated Sony on their launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-15-microsoft-congratulates-sony-on-its-ps4-launch

BZFMjubCYAAIygR.png

Plus, Shuhei Yoshida and Major Nelson -Larry Hryb- are in good terms.

Captura.PNG

Assuming it's not sarcastic, and i don't feel it is, that's really lovely and professional of them.

I think the web browser experience will be good for some things & not for others. The people that seem to be buying the XB1 at launch don't seem to have a lack of high-end devices(large screen TVs, smartphones, tablets, laptops or desktops). For those I could understand not seeing any benefits of the browser experience or multitasking/Snap.

But myself? I'm poor. I have a 7 year old Windows XP Media Center PC that right now is basically only used as a PlayOn server for bringing Hulu to my 5 year old 32" 720p TV via my 4 year old Xbox 360. The 360 is the premiere entertainment device. I use it for games, DVDs, Netlfix & Hulu via PlayOn. Kinect is used quite regularly when my Logitech Xbox Harmony remote is not in reach or lost. The chatpad is great for texting my gamer friends. IE never gets used since I have a 5 year old 13" laptop that runs Linux only sitting next to my recliner. It's my primary Internet device & I use it for email, forums & general web stuff. Don't use it for movie or TV content or even offline. My cell phone is a dumb phone & is broke(data doesn't work), but voice & texts work. But I did buy a really cheap Chinese 7" Android 4.3 tablet on eBay this past summer. I don't use it a whole lot. It usually gets used for Smartglass, a calculator, Gmail & Sudoku when I'm in the can. It's not as fast as I would like & the screen can't beat my 13" laptop. One of these days I might upgrade my laptop to a Chromebook or convertible laptop/tablet device, but the TV & 360 got dibbs on replacement first.

I will buy an Xbox One once I upgrade to a bigger TV(hopefully 50") & after a $100 price drop. When I do get an XB1 I will use every feature as much as I can since it will be newer than everything else I have. Having a web browser & Snap will open new things I couldn't do before while playing games or watching content. But I'm also a realist. It's not always going to be better than my laptop that's sitting next to me. At 40 I'm getting near-sighted so even a 50" TV sitting 11 feet away is not going to be better than my 13" laptop that is 2 feet from my eyes. I don't think I would want to type this message on my TV, but other things should be fine.

Personally I don't get all the complaining. It's offering us a new experience & a choice. Don't like it? You don't have to use it. I want companies to try new things instead of just offering the status quo. That's boring. Hopefully after launch they will continue to offer more things around apps, Kinect, Snap, etc. It's just too bad I have to wait a year or more before I get one in my home. Have fun with your new systems while I stare from the sidelines.

Tommy McClain

Seems like a gimmick to you and some people yes...

To me it's a TANGIBLE convenience.

Yes I'm gonna go out and buy a tablet for a few hundreds dollars for who the hell knows for what just so I could browse the web around the home...and oh um yeh to check emails...riiiight...:LOL:

Right so the iPhone is too small for home browsing, but presumably not when you're on the go..? So every time you want to check your emails you're going to turn on your Xbox. Doesn't sound very practical to me, especially tablets can be so cheap, and virtually everyone has a PC, but each to their own.

Right so the iPhone is too small for home browsing, but presumably not when you're on the go..? So every time you want to check your emails you're going to turn on your Xbox. Doesn't sound very practical to me, especially tablets can be so cheap, and virtually everyone has a PC, but each to their own.

Oh for god's sake. If he wants to read his emails on his TV, let him be!

Good times but whoa wait what?

How are you using an after market HDD on your 360?

The drive is self-made after-market but it's using the exact spec model that is found in some MS original 250GB units. It's why the update/flash is able to even work.

I'd love to have been able to use a SSD now, but they wont run the custom drive firmware. :(

This was a self-made xbox phat drive from a few years back but have moved it to a Slim drive clamshell. It's relatively painless to do if you know the steps. Basically you find a drive model that's supported, connect it to the PC, boot to utility disk, flash the firmware on the drive, write security sectors to the drive, then boot to windows and copy over backwards-compatability partition. Then when you're done with that, you put it into the desired clamshell (phat or slim).

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/co...ve-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html#post21373

Right so the iPhone is too small for home browsing, but presumably not when you're on the go..?

Many people including me use smartphones to check emails when we're not home because there's really no other practical choice. Not because the experience is so dreamy on that tiny little screen, tiny pictures, tiny links. The constant zooming in/out is extremely annoying.

So every time you want to check your emails you're going to turn on your Xbox. Doesn't sound very practical to me, especially tablets can be so cheap, and virtually everyone has a PC, but each to their own.

It seems you haven't really read what I've been writing have you?

Oh for god's sake. If he wants to read his emails on his TV, let him be!

Yeah it really baffles me why some people have a hard time understanding the logic behind other peoples' device usage preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people including me use smartphones to check emails when we're not home because there's really no other practical choice. Not because the experience is so dreamy on that tiny little screen, tiny pictures, tiny links.

Trying...... to resist...... saying..... get a better phone (not a tiny screen iPhone).... damn I failed!

Many people including me use smartphones to check emails when we're not home because there's really no other practical choice. Not because the experience is so dreamy on that tiny little screen, tiny pictures, tiny links.

It seems you haven't really read what I've been writing have you?

Yeah it really baffles me why some people have a hard time understanding the logic behind other peoples' device usage preferences.

Yes you've just said you will use you won't buy a tablet to browse and check your emails at home (like that would be its only use).

Your choice as I've already said. Fair to say you're probably in the minority there, and I wouldn't expect many people to use IE 10 on Xbone, but hey it's an option.

I've got my 5" Xperia Z and a Transformer Infinity that I regularly check my emails, watch movies, read comics\magazines\books on. Also listen to music and browse the web. And, just recently, control Beyond 2 Souls with. I don't think I've ever or will ever use the browser on a console. Even when looking up hints for games I use either the tablet or the phone whichever is closer.

I would but I'm not one of those dorks with a bigass 5" phone in my pocket...:LOL:

My 6" is on preorder, I think it might be too large, keep going back and forth. My 4.8" was great though, right up until I cracked it tripping over a toy. Grrr, anyway should be good for smartglass and reading.

Edit at Joker - same but they won't ship it yet. At least the store did the preorder for me, they would not do it over the phone. It is maybe an inch taller and .5 wider then the 920.

Edit at Joker - same but they won't ship it yet. At least the store did the preorder for me, they would not do it over the phone. It is maybe an inch taller and .5 wider then the 920.

I actually made a cardboard cutout from it's dimensions and I think it will be ok. I know every time I buy a phone I regret not going bigger, so this time I'm going *big*.

:oops: I can't even imagine carrying that monster around in my pants pocket all day. :)

I'm used to it :) On a more serious note, as the girls I book more and more abandoned their iPhones and switched to Android many were rocking Samsung Note's. So over time I basically got used to that size, to where my 4.5" Nokia 920 now honestly looks way too small. I figure I use my phone for actual phone calls about 0.1% of the time, so I'm just going big on screen size this time. As a bonus means I won't need a tablet either, my phone will pull double duty. The only bummer is that they yanked wireless charging from the 1520, but then again it also means the phone is thinner than the 920 so that's something I guess.

I actually made a cardboard cutout from it's dimensions and I think it will be ok. I know every time I buy a phone I regret not going bigger, so this time I'm going *big*.

haha I did the same but I use mine a lot for phone calls so Im still on the fence...saw a demo in store though and it's glorious :cool:

Assuming it's not sarcastic, and i don't feel it is, that's really lovely and professional of them.

The used to send a cake to the firefox's team for any new version, and when they changed to the chome's upgrade cycle, they started sending cupcakes XD

Microsoft used to do this kind of niceness, it sound strange only because in the last generation they insulted themselves all the time.

That's what she said...
:smile: Whatever you say people.

All I know is that I am so hyped! Can't wait. I am going to sleep with my Xbox One next weekend -joking, NOT to sleep, actually-. And get in SHAPE. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back