News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I need Windows PC for DLNA?

You don't, but in this case it looks like Xbox One is only supporting the new "Play To" featured introduced in Windows 7. It's basically a one way communication(from PC to Console) using the DLNA protocol...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/play-to

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/playto/playto-setup

So basically it's not a full DLNA client. If it were then it could access any DLNA server.

Hopefully they will confirm DLNA client support like the Xbox 360 since I don't believe PlayOn would work without it.

Tommy McClain

Interesting

DmdtzBJ.png

Play To (renamed Play in 8.1) is also part of the Devices Charm in all versions of Windows 8. Means I can throw any media content that I've opened on my tablet to the tv with a swipe and two taps. Even if that content is not present on the tablet, since all variants of Windows 8 have support for connecting to homegroups and other network locations. It's extremely useful.
Odd, I'd swear it says Play To for me -I have Windows 8.1 Pro-. I gotta say that I installed Windows 8 when it came out -not a fresh install, I installed it over Windows 7 64 bits-, and I installed Windows 8.1 when it came out, so perhaps it does have some legacy features from Windows 7 but whatever the reason it is Play To for me.

EDIT:

News

Phil Spencer expects the Xbox One to sell out at launch.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/01/xbo...out-without-titanfall-at-launch-spencer-says/

Last edited by a moderator:
That COD tweet, if true then seriously...The board who accepted this kind of project should just give their diplomas back. Reading Xbox strategy PDF from 2011 certainly looks like pipe dream now. It all seemed so simple, must have been written by marketing team.

COD games are on compressed schedules anyway, so little time for optimization can be a reasonable explanation. It's still a step up from the previous x360 version in both resolution and - hopefully - framerate.

COD games are on compressed schedules anyway, so little time for optimization can be a reasonable explanation. It's still a step up from the previous x360 version in both resolution and - hopefully - framerate.
Its step up from 8 year old console. I don't want to derail thread so I'll stop here, but there is no denying this thing,hw wise, is dissapointment on so many levels.

I'm not arguing it won't get better (like your example shows), what I'm arguing is how are they going to explain 100$ premium when their competitor renders the same game with twice as many pixels and 100$ lower price.

I mean its pretty obvious they won't be able to explain that, they failed at every attempt to do it. Head of the project left company after announcing the damn thing, it can't get more dire then that.

I'm interested in what BF4 Kinect functionality is like.

IF MS are selling out, which it sounds like they currently are, they still have time between now and once the early adopter phase is over to market the exercise, dance games, and Kinect functionality both big and small in games and general use.

I agree its pointless trying to compete WRT graphics theyve lost, look at nintendo do they try to compete? no cause they no they cant, they compete where theyre strongest, their IP's.
Instead they should be focusing on kinect, after all thats why it costs an extra $100
I had a google and find bugger all info about whats coming out for it.

I did find this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

Music, Rhythm 2 games
Fitness 2 games
Fighting, Sports 2 games

Seriously, it looks a similar range to the current gen, dont they have confidence with kinect. Now theyve given up on the no controller restriction surely this gives studios more possibilities. OK they cant force 3rd party, but surely they can force their own studios to do kinect required games. Where are all these new and wonderful possibilites we've been hearing about for years. Im not talking tech demo's but real games?

Again - we see two multiplatform games with some level of resolution difference, and suddenly they've already lost??? Not to mention how COD is, well, not entirely at the top of the best looking nextgen games anyway.

Xbox 1 is still quite capable in the right hands and it should be able to deliver quite outstanding looking games.

I agree its pointless trying to compete WRT graphics theyve lost
Lost, what really?
BF4 is close enough for a lot of people, with the main gripe being AA.
CD:G is the only game so far that I've seen people really complain about, even though we haven't seen it yet running on each platform, not that I'm holding out any kind of hope that it's going to look great haha.

So the question is, is close good enough(whatever people deem that to be), do you need to be better in multiplatform games.

One game, and suddenly the sky is falling. A game that most people doesn't think looked great on any platform anyway.
I know people think that's why the XB1 shouldn't be behind in resolution, but it doesn't work like that.

COD2 cross-gen launch title on XB360

COD BLOPS2 XB360

COD2 is the exact example I brought up the other day, its early days both consoles will have massive improvements over the next couple years. The only interesting thing for now is Alberts comments a few weeks ago about nobody being able to see a difference in games at launch. He needs to clarify of amend his time line.

I wouldn't call 50%-125% res increase on two biggest launch tittles "some difference".
I personally consider COD an outliner so far. Especially given what it's pushing visually.
BF4 regardless of res, a lot of people think it looks close to the PS4 apart from AA.
So yes you can give out percentages as much as you want, but it's about what people perceive.

In BF4, If your talking specifically about the tech which this forum is mainly about then sure, if your talking about what a lot of people see on screen not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back