News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen the evolution of the 360'software, I have faith.
Microsoft has the infrastructure the know how and the talent to do it all if not best, at least more than good. So it's only a problem of time and focus, and the caos about always on is proof that even if confused, at least they are listening.
I don't know if there are unseen technical problems, but regarding the chat they can simply use skype acquiring the friend list as contacts. You can chat with your buddy while playing forza, then pause and call your girlfriend, then pause and call someone other while searching the web, the turn off the one with a voice command to do something relaxing.
And yes, I know that skype is a mess.

Having seen the evolution of the 360'software, I have faith.
Microsoft has the infrastructure the know how and the talent to do it all if not best, at least more than good.
No-one has said, nor even suggested, otherwise. This is a rumour about the state of the platform at launch, and not about MS's long-term abilities.
I don't know if there are unseen technical problems, but regarding the chat they can simply use skype acquiring the friend list as contacts. You can chat with your buddy while playing forza, then pause and call your girlfriend, then pause and call someone other while searching the web, the turn off the one with a voice command to do something relaxing.
What about voice chat in games with strangers not on your friends list?

No-one has said, nor even suggested, otherwise. This is a rumour about the state of the platform at launch, and not about MS's long-term abilities.
What about voice chat in games with strangers not on your friends list?

The solution to this doesn't look to be impossible, and we have almost a month before launch, so I think that almost anything vital will be solved in time or in the first month at worst.

Software isn't that predictable. We've had major gafs before that have taken a while to fix. Not saying it won't be fixed in a month, but I don't really see the point in trying to pin a time-frame on when a rumoured fault might be fixed. the only thing of any interest is that there might be a problem, which is a healthy reminder to folks that software is hard and prone to issues! We should wait until the box is out to see what is and isn't working prior to making guesses as to what might or might not be fixed.

I checked my router stats the other day and there was over 2TBs downloaded in the last 14 days. That was a shock, but it's from streaming movies and TV shows, games, and general web browsing for 3.5 people. Cable broadband in the UK at least don't seem to have or be bothered about download limits, even for this cheap package.

It would still take a few hours to download one of those games in full though. It won't be a big deal for most users in the future, but for now, and with having to install disc games too, HDD space could be a bother for those who buy more than a few.

I checked my router stats the other day and there was over 2TBs downloaded in the last 14 days. That was a shock, but it's from streaming movies and TV shows, games, and general web browsing for 3.5 people. Cable broadband in the UK at least don't seem to have or be bothered about download limits, even for this cheap package.

It would still take a few hours to download one of those games in full though. It won't be a big deal for most users in the future, but for now, and with having to install disc games too, HDD space could be a bother for those who buy more than a few.
I don't have limits either, but I live in a very small village which has around 40 inhabitants -yes, not a typo- living here all year around and my connection is just 6MB, which is slightly decent, but it could never achieve the numbers joker454 and BriT are getting.

I am going to buy most of my games using discs -it's easier to play at a friend's house that way-. Still, I am going to download some games, of course.

I don't have limits either, but I live in a very small village which has around 40 inhabitants -yes, not a typo- living here all year around and my connection is just 6MB, which is slightly decent, but it could never achieve the numbers joker454 and BriT are getting.

I am going to buy most of my games using discs -it's easier to play at a friend's house that way-. Still, I am going to download some games, of course.

You can rent a game, install it on your console, and buy the digital version. The installation works like digital download.

Any word if there is going to be any preloading available? That would certainly help those with slower connections.

Any word if there is going to be any preloading available? That would certainly help those with slower connections.

I believe it's been stated by official sources that there will not be preloading, at least at launch, but there is background downloading and the ability to start playing a game before the download has completely finished.

MajorNelson has also confirmed on Reddit that gifting digital games will not be available at launch, but they would like to add it one day. Sounds like you really have to like the launch games, if not, there's no major incentive other than Kinect, TV, multitasking to convince you to get the system at launch. I like all that, but not for $500. If it wasn't for the fact I'm not real interested in the the initial launch games, it would be a different story. The ones I do like are coming to XB1 are also coming 360 too(Project Spark, Titanfall, Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny) Looks like my decision to wait is looking better every day. Now if Red Dead sequel is announced for XB1, then all bets are off. LOL

Tommy McClain

My connection is a measly 3Mbps -> 1.35 GB per hour. 24 hours per game is too much for me. For now I'm going to have to go with discs. If they ever upgrade my neighourhood to higher speeds, I'll switch to digital.

If they ever upgrade my neighourhood to higher speeds, I'll switch to digital.
Even with the price 25%+ higher? That's the most noteworthy reason to stick to discs IMO; DD sells at RRP and discs can be got for much cheaper, especially if one's happy to wait. But also these consoles can only fit a dozen or so games. If you remove a game and then want to revisit it later, you'll have to redownload the thing if you don't have the disc to just pop in.

You all are forgetting that 360 launch title was wallguy.
Launch titles are never an indication of any console's capability

2077416-wallguy_screen.jpg

Another 720p game, Call of Duty: Ghosts. Very disappointed...
It was to be expected, though.

They surely wouldn't have spent silicon budget on a powerful hardware upscaler if they had actually designed their hardware to natively run games @1080p in the first place ...

Lower resolution + high-quality upscaler is part of their design choice.

Where is this "powerful upscaler" stuff coming from? I would assume all GCN AMD parts have the same standard scaling hardware.

And an upscaler can mean 4K upscaled.

If MS designed Xbox One with 720p in mind, Why Forza 5 and other games can run at 1080p?

I didn't say they designed XBOX one with 720p in mind ... but given all the effort they obviously put into making their display planes capable of individual hardware scaling, they probably at least didn't design XBOX One around the idea of games usually hitting 1080p (native) ...

They clearly made very sure that combining 1080p HUDs with lower-res game renderings is really easy to achieve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back