News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Practically everyone has told a half truth / lie so far, so perhaps we should believe no one?. Or does this only apply to people who leak information?.

That is your decision to make, I have made mine. Besides, read what I was replying to. If you draw out any other inference apart from that present in my response to his question then the fault is yours, not mine.

Albert Panello went on Reddit and basically explained why they haven't and can't easily do a live demo of the UI right now. I don't know how to find it on reddit, and I'm not going to link the other forum.

This?

Hey guys. People should understand why these videos get made. It's a simple matter of logistics. The current dash has a lot of Beta-specific tiles in it. The stores are live and we don't have approvals to use those outside materials in marketing. Lastly, they need to use these in a variety of sources that a direct-feed output would not work for.

True story: My wife is working with the team that put these together. As they were getting made, we would compare them to my Beta at home and give feedback.

This video is an EXCELLENT representation of the dash, the features, and the speed. I have no problem showing it to people and saying it's "real". Any differences between this video and the dash are super minor.

I'm catching up online this AM and people seriously need to relax. I know all the drama and intrigue are fun to read about, but the reality is far more mundane.

If you like what that video shows, you're going to love the real product.

What the hell is taking up that much space? Seeing how BF3 fits an 1280*704 buffer into 10MB EDRAM on the X360 perfectly fine, I find it kinda hard to accept that memory requirements have increased to 1500%.

Dunno, I saw that number floating around somewhere but it factored in MSAA in the calculation.

The worst bit of that is he says 'representation' of the UI. Does that mean we haven't actually seen a real working UI yet?

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

I'm not going to link the other forum, and I don't know how to find his post on reddit, so I'm just going to copy paste. Mods can do what they will with this post.

Originally Posted by Albert Penello

TL:DR

Let me explain something about how this all works. I’m posting something similar on Reddit, so apologize for the repeat.

Even though we have rights to populate the *store* with Musicians, Artists, Movies, Actors, etc. – when it comes to us (as in Microsoft) publishing those types of things for marketing materials, it requires an extensive amount of approvals from those same Studios, Actors, Agents, Musicians, etc.

Also whenever we use game footage, the creator of the game wants to approve the footage. And finally, when something like this gets created, it needs to be used in a variety of ways that a direct feed video doesn’t work for.

Coordinating a live demo that is using approved game footage, and making sure every piece of content on-screen is approved by all the content owners is a logistical nightmare. So all of those constraints means it’s better sometimes to create your own video with already approved assets. EVERYONE does this. Every ad, every video, from every company does this for the same reasons.

Now, those same sorts of rights aren’t applied to the press. So there is a huge difference in what WE can put online vs. what the press can put online. That’s why, right now, we have a ton of press in SF seeing new live game builds and new dash builds. I’m sure you’ll be hearing back from them about how close this video is.

Since people want to know, I will explain in detail the areas where this video differs from the real UI.

1. The way the voice text gets created on-screen doesn’t work that way. It will appear as one block.
2. The video assumes that the user ALREADY has a movie started (hence why Pacific Rim is in the middle of the film), and ALREADY has a game started. In that cause, the UI will switch that fast.
3. The “Activity Feed” does not go over the UI like that, it snaps to the side
4. When the player resumes Titanfall, obviously he would have to “unpause” the game or however the individual game deals with coming back up. But you can absolutely have a game paused, and use your voice to launch new apps exactly how the video does.
5. The only egregious feature error is when the VO says “Xbox Share” or something similar. Now, the user would actually have to accept the notification or go to upload studio and share from there. We don’t share directly with voice.

Besides those small nuances, the transitions, speed, movement and everything else is a pretty accurate. I think it’s a fine representation of the experience.

As for all the other stuff blowing up over the weekend, I will make one small comment: There is a really bizarre phenomenon going on right now where the frenzy for news, drama, and behind-the-scenes dealings is clouding logic and reason. There is nothing going on behind the scenes nearly as interesting as everyone would like to believe. We are a month away from launch, and people are working hard to finalize the last of the bugs. There are still a lot things left to be done. We’re crunching and I’m sure Sony’s crunching too.

I know people are excited. I’m sorry but things are nowhere near as dire or dramatic or exciting as everyone would like to believe. That’s why I’m not commenting on every single random rumor that comes along, because everything I see is so drastically overblown vs. reality.

You can choose to believe him or not, but this is the explanation he gave.

I missed his name in this thread I guess. The original source was "famousmortimer", but that opened the flood gates to many others who chimed in. I'm not sure anyone who gets one rumor wrong, but others correct should be labeled a "liar", we have a few people that are B3D regulars who have a much worse track record, should we label them liars too?

They all seem to be quoting the same angry source there now. Other's saying it's not so bad.

Dunno, I saw that number floating around somewhere but it factored in MSAA in the calculation.

Then it must have been about the PC version.

MSAA doesn't make much sense on the nextgen consoles - the bandwidth and memory costs are way too high on the mid level GPUs and cheap RAM, higher resolutions and post-AA should be good enough on TVs and average view distances.
Also, shader aliasing and specular aliasing in particular are becoming much more important problems (because of the higher contrast of the aliasing) and MSAA is no help there at all.

But a PC with a high end video card (or more) can easily afford it, especially if the game is CPU limited anyway.

:smile: Okay, okay, but he is not predicting you or me are going to be taken over by an alien. He might be right....

On a different note, these are the Xbox One cases:

XboxOneRetail-2.jpg

I find them cute. I want Forza 5 -pre-ordered-, Zoo Tycoon -looking where to preorder it, it runs at 1080p by the way-, Dead Rising 3 -love games with vampires, but zombies, it depends on the game-, Ryse -pre-ordered already-.

Forza 5 needs 35GB of space in your Xbox One HD.

NOPBUne.jpg

Dead Rising 3 also needs 35GB of HD space.

0laRMlq.jpg

Ryse goes further and it takes up to 47GB of space.

gvxNmeO.jpg

I think the hard drive is going to run short of space for bytes in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back