News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets just put the rumors out there and leave it up to individuals to decide for themselves if it's sensible or not.
A sensible attitude. Also, people should keep their heads cool, and not unnecessarily adopt a "the sky is falling" attitude; launch games have always been (much) worse looking and performing than later games. If esram is some kind of a drag on performance right now, devs will learn to work around it later on and get the most out of the system. There's no need to worry.

Kind of an amusing tweet from Penello.

udhknNj.png

My guess is developers want to have 192GB/s over all the memory not some tiny amount that can probably only hold your Gbuffer.
So now your saying it's not the amount, it's the fact that it has to be managed, and software needs to be developed with it in mind?
So you saying that it being 32MB being tiny may in fact not be correct at all?

Guess my question remains unanswered then......

Maybe later on when launch pressure is over and only need to support next gen systems they can focus on the data juggle job with esram.
I mean there must be an reason why so many launch games now get revealed to be 720p instead of 1080p.

That is my best guess.
So your saying that not only is 32MB maybe enough for how the system was designed and for it's purpose, but that you think it's the management that is the reason for some 720p instead of 1080p launch games and, that once the launch period is over and they can actually have time to put some memory management in place there may not be anything wrong with it at all.

So basically your saying you think there's nothing wrong with it apart from the usual issues that a new architecture would have at launch, and studios having to get to learn how to use it.

Shame, as I would've liked to have someone who believed it was too small to actually explain how they came to that conclusion, but it seems like your original post was a bit misleading and you don't believe that.

Based on the context of the thread, who are you talking about; Emily Gera or Penello?

I think he was referring to Thuway with the implication that Thuway lied about the GPU downclock and what he's saying now [XboxOne is in shambles] should be questioned based on previous lies.

He may have had the thread posts opened up and read before the questioning of rumor messengers was cleaned up.

Based on the context of the thread, who are you talking about; Emily Gera or Penello?

He is talking about the neogaf user thuway and his tweets on twitter. He (among others) said that they have been informed that the X1 GPU has been downclocked, which ended up being a lie as the GPU and CPU got an upclock instead, and here we are taking his words as facts again.

Also the statement that the esram will always be a bottleneck, stopping the X1 from achieving parity with the PS4 is just silly. The X1 might not always be able to achieve parity with the PS4 but the esram can't be the reason for that. If anything, without the esram the X1 would be in a more disadvantaged situation vs the PS4. If you say that to properly make use of the esram is going to take a bit of work, that I can accept and that might be why some launch title will have disparity in visual greater than the specs suggest. But saying that it will be a bottleneck for the X1 doesn't make sense, especially in context of the design of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is talking about the neogaf user thuway and his tweets on twitter. He (among others) said that they have been informed that the X1 GPU has been downclocked, which ended up being a lie as the GPU and CPU got an upclock instead, and here we are taking his words as facts again.

Practically everyone has told a half truth / lie so far, so perhaps we should believe no one?. Or does this only apply to people who leak information?.

But the bigger the render targets the harder it will be for devs to cram it in the 32mb. Isn't BF4 (or 3?) like 150mb? It can spill over to DDR3 if necessary but I imagine that impacts bandwidth more.

What the hell is taking up that much space? Seeing how BF3 fits an 1280*704 buffer into 10MB EDRAM on the X360 perfectly fine, I find it kinda hard to accept that memory requirements have increased to 1500%.

32 MB should allow for the ~230% increase that 1080p brings, and still leave an extra 40% for whatever advancements the engine brings. And then there's the rumor that BF4 is 720p on X1, so that makes your information even less plausible.

I think he was referring to Thuway with the implication that Thuway lied about the GPU downclock and what he's saying now [XboxOne is in shambles] should be questioned based on previous lies.

He may have had the thread posts opened up and read before the questioning of rumor messengers was cleaned up.

I missed his name in this thread I guess. The original source was "famousmortimer", but that opened the flood gates to many others who chimed in. I'm not sure anyone who gets one rumor wrong, but others correct should be labeled a "liar", we have a few people that are B3D regulars who have a much worse track record, should we label them liars too?

I missed his name in this thread I guess. The original source was "famousmortimer", but that opened the flood gates to many others who chimed in. I'm not sure anyone who gets one rumor wrong, but others correct should be labeled a "liar", we have a few people that are B3D regulars who have a much worse track record, should we label them liars too?

No, but we should be open to the possibility that any or all rumors can be wrong and should not base the credibility of the latest rumor on prior history.

The thing I really don't understand, is why people need to know the state of these things right now. Why not just wait until the thing is out and people can review it and see how well it works in the wild? I mean, that would actually be the responsible thing to do as a consumer. We have no right to any of the information that's going on behind closed doors. Not showing us a dump from the bug tracking tool isn't anti-consumer.

Kotaku ran a story and it basically said they've heard there are bugs for both platforms, but they can not directly verify any of the rumours about problems with Xbox Live.

Albert Panello went on Reddit and basically explained why they haven't and can't easily do a live demo of the UI right now. I don't know how to find it on reddit, and I'm not going to link the other forum.

You can choose to believe who you want to believe, but I think the best answer is to just chill out and wait for quality reviews, and then figure out if it's worth the money.

The thing I really don't understand, is why people need to know the state of these things right now. Why not just wait until the thing is out and people can review it and see how well it works in the wild?

Is it because drama is more entertaining than playing current-gen games in the meantime?

The reality is that both consoles will probably remain supply limited for the first 3-6 months anyway. There has to be a Wii U caliber mess-up to keep that from happening, or an extremely high price (above $600, based on the PS3 launch). This should give enough time for the vendors to iron out any remaining software problems and release a new set of more polished 1st gen titles.

The real race will probably only begin after that initial period, and by that time we won't need to bother with rumors at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back