News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's some strange rambling on neogaf about eSRAM being the bottleneck that prevents parity with PS4 forever.

Also, the snap feature causing crashes with games. That doesn't strike me as very worrying as long as it works for launch. They could disable it in games until its fixed, if it isn't ready for the launch update.

There's some strange rambling on neogaf about eSRAM being the bottleneck that prevents parity with PS4 forever.

Also, the snap feature causing crashes with games. That doesn't strike me as very worrying as long as it works for the launch.

Well they love negative ms stuff over there.

The problem with the way the rumor is set up. The rumor starter can just say ..... oh they were able to fix it last minute.

Also, the snap feature causing crashes with games. That doesn't strike me as very worrying as long as it works for launch. They could disable it in games until its fixed, if it isn't ready for the launch update.

Esram will not magically grow in size ;)

But i am happy if 900p would be minimal resolution in 2014 when all the launch chaos is over.

But i am happy if 900p would be minimal resolution in 2014 when all the launch chaos is over.

Is eSRAM really the part to single out as the reason for longer term multiplatform disparity? Like there are no other differences between the platforms.

The 360's EDRAM didn't magically grow in size, but it did alright.

IMO it is weird that there are not "bad reports" from Sony... I doubt they have not issues.

Why only bad Xbox One rumors (and I think some of them are real)?

IMO it is weird that there are not "bad reports" from Sony... I doubt they have not issues.

Why only bad Xbox One rumors (and I think some of them are real)?
MS have been pretty clumsy. Sometimes too quick to correct misinformation and then getting it wrong. Other times too slow to respond.

They had it rough with the 360. They've got a bit of an internet mob after them now though.

In fairness there are Sony rumours/issues floating about, PSN is not live yet for PS4, reviewers are sketchy about review events for evaluating online, suspend/resume doesn't work at launch, custom backgrounds are out for the UI.

It's just that most of them seem like small beer or par-for-the-course compared to the MS ones at the moment.

May be your the one that can answer my question then as no one else has that says that 32MB is too small. Apart from the nonsensical its 0.004% of 8GB. (whatever the actual true percentage may be)

Why is 32MB too small and what would be a more reasonable amount, obviously taking into account it's possible usage scenarios.

dNMTwxu.png

9LK0pjs.png

4 weeks to go, I guess they'll figure it out in time :smile:

Why is 32MB too small and what would be a more reasonable amount, obviously taking into account it's possible usage scenarios.

It's not to small. The SRAM doesn't impose any resolution limits on the frame size. To some extent you need to tile your resource. Trying to fit whole buffers into the SRAM is the wrong approach. Tiling resources, DMA'img buffers around is not necessarily trivial and takes time and effort, especially if the tool chain isn't mature. Unfortunately, time is not necessarily available to a studio trying to ship 5 different SKU's this year.

I guess I'm with the MS architects, that I find this complexity of the SRAM so onerous rather surprising. Seems like a lot of faux internet rage.

I think the ESRAM will be remembered as this gens SPUs, powerful but it'll take a while to realise the benefits. I don't think it will take anything near as long to exploit as the SPUs though given that its 'just' a memory optimisation versus a threading optimisation and memory optimisation on the PS3. There were some good examples of things that ESRAM could do in the Console Tech thread but if the toolchain is immature I could see why 3rd parties would struggle for launch titles with first parties doing better (mirroring PS3).

May be your the one that can answer my question then as no one else has that says that 32MB is too small. Apart from the nonsensical its 0.004% of 8GB. (whatever the actual true percentage may be)

My guess is developers want to have 192GB/s over all the memory not some tiny amount that can probably only hold your Gbuffer. Maybe later on when launch pressure is over and only need to support next gen systems they can focus on the data juggle job with esram.
I mean there must be an reason why so many launch games now get revealed to be 720p instead of 1080p.

That is my best guess.

The tools that allow optimal usage of the eSRAM aren't...er.. optimal yet, which is why it's difficult for devs to utilize the system to its fullest.

But the bigger the render targets the harder it will be for devs to cram it in the 32mb. Isn't BF4 (or 3?) like 150mb? It can spill over to DDR3 if necessary but I imagine that impacts bandwidth more.

Lets not get into why we should or should not believe a rumor messenger, as that gets into the complete mess of discussing their credibility.

Lets just put the rumors out there and leave it up to individuals to decide for themselves if it's sensible or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back