News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The core problem was the 24h check. They only required an online checkin/checkout process for games either delivered digital or by disk to keep everything working as before like sharing discs, reselling it and not being limited by an online connection all the time.

We could have all that but they wanted even more control. They needed this 24h check to remove licenses remotely to make rent/resale of games for gamestop + co. still profitable. If they have to depend on people to checkout the games they get back to rent/resale outlets it adds a lot processing work which might make the whole thing not economical viable.

The real irony here is that after they demonized gamestop as hurting game companies they changed the rhetoric when they had this mutual profit deal in place. The victim was the customer who lost control of his property with the 24h check. The only one here to blame is Microsoft and not the so called "forum warriors". It was simply a bad deal for gamers.

Xbox Live Cloud for FREE for all developers:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/xbox-one-cloud

This is a real game changer.

Probably not *completely* free.

Quote from John Bruno in the Gamesindusty piece:

John Bruno said:
"But I do think that will be advantages to the smaller game shops that had previously been spooked about getting into the server development because of the financial obstacle or the development obstacle there. That was one of the big intents, to take this barrier to entry of server development away and let these developers really explore what they could do with the cloud without having to worry about allocating financial resources or server developers to the problem.

"We've even heard stories where the developers have had that and wanted to shut down games and servers over time and that really does disrupt their communities. One of the big advantages of our service is that it's completely on demand, so that as games wax and wane in popularity so do the resources that get applied to it from Compute. Providing that elastic scale at a really beneficial cost price point is a big benefit to developers."

I expect no upfront costs, but fees for usage. Which, I would think, if you're a game developer is still a win.

And no one has complained about steam in 10 years or IOS/ANDRIOD
Nobody complained about Steam when it launched in 2003? Man, there was nothing but complaints about Steam when it launched - it was shit for a long, long time.

Its a double standard , people were very happy to give up these traditional consumer rights and concepts of ownership as long as its not to a company called ms
Physical media vs intangible media. Nobody complains they can't lend their Netflix movie stream with their friend, it's expected and accepted that you can't. People would complain if they couldn't lend their Blu-ray disc to a friend.

The win-win scenario for Microsoft, as has been brought up many times, is that supporting both mediums would have pleased everybody. With discs working as they do now and digital purchases offering enough flexibility to be an incentive in itself. That would have been a far more interesting test of consumer appetite of physical vs digital purchases in terms of pros and cons. A real missed opportunity.

What? Don't games on both systems have the ability to be played during download?

Both platforms are offering this but I must admit I'm a little skeptical on how widespread/practical it will be for many games. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I'm expecting the worst :smile:

Both platforms are offering this but I must admit I'm a little skeptical on how widespread/practical it will be for many games. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I'm expecting the worst :smile:

Especially when it's an online MP with cloud compute. Something's got to give.

I expect online MP would be among the fastest to get going. You don't need that much of the game.

I'm talking about everything going over the same small internet bandwidth at the same time, that's not even including other things like Netflix which at my house is the bandwidth equivalent of firing up the washing machine while someone is trying to take a shower.

The core problem was the 24h check. They only required an online checkin/checkout process for games either delivered digital or by disk to keep everything working as before like sharing discs, reselling it and not being limited by an online connection all the time.

We could have all that but they wanted even more control. They needed this 24h check to remove licenses remotely to make rent/resale of games for gamestop + co. still profitable. If they have to depend on people to checkout the games they get back to rent/resale outlets it adds a lot processing work which might make the whole thing not economical viable.

The real irony here is that after they demonized gamestop as hurting game companies they changed the rhetoric when they had this mutual profit deal in place. The victim was the customer who lost control of his property with the 24h check. The only one here to blame is Microsoft and not the so called "forum warriors". It was simply a bad deal for gamers.
No, the 24hr check (an internet connection) was necessary for it to function as advertised with sharing/disc to DD. They could get around that with an offline mode that blocked all access to your library elsewhere and online registration for game installs. That wouldn't get around the uproar.

MS demonising gamestop? Why do we create these worlds?

I'm talking about everything going over the same small internet bandwidth at the same time, that's not even including other things like Netflix which at my house is the bandwidth equivalent of firing up the washing machine while someone is trying to take a shower.

well if your ISP sucks, then your isp sucks, but MP requirements are usually quite small.

And downloading 50GB is quite large......comcast internet, don't know but I suspect if I have problems then so do others.

The point being you don't need to download the whole 50GB to play, the faster your isp, the faster you can get going. If you're still on dial up levels then you're going to have issues.

And downloading 50GB is quite large......comcast internet, don't know but I suspect if I have problems then so do others.

Its not just the individual, when millions of people are using the same system the pressure on servers and connects is going to be immense.

This could well be the generation that ushers in the death of the all you can eat internet connection. Unless you are willing to pay extra for it.

The actual cost of transferring bits across the internet is at an all-time low, and the backbone data trunks are immensely powerful these days, far beyond even the capability of massive DDOS attacks to saturate. Naturally, individual sections of the tree could get bogged down, but the reason (some) ISPs are moving towards metered internet subscriptions is NOT a capacity issue.

It's purely greed, plain and simple. They want you to pay more, because they feel they can make you. And that's it.

whilst its chiefly greed yet
if everyone started moving lots of data it will soon get overloaded eg Ill use NZ (since its isolated & we can easily see cable capacity) currently coming into the country is a 2.6 T bit capacity

2,600,000 Mbit/sec amongst population 4.5million = 0.5Mbit/sec per person

whilst its chiefly greed yet
if everyone started moving lots of data it will soon get overloaded eg Ill use NZ (since its isolated & we can easily see cable capacity) currently coming into the country is a 2.6 T bit capacity

As if MS or Sony wouldn't have local data centers in the country? Come on, please try harder.

It's a wholly ridiculous scenario, because there's of course no way that 4.5 million people would start downloading all at once (you don't even have that many internet subscriptions in your nation), least of all only international data. Then there's proxy servers that automatically mirror stuff, so any two (or more) kiwis downloading the same file will only count once, and as mentioned, local data servers also and so on.

...So it'd be crazy to base backbone capacity on maximum theoretical peak load of everyone downloading at maximum speed all at once with no slowdown whatsoever, it probably wouldn't even be technically possible to build such a network today even if it wasn't monstrously cost prohibitive.

They were not clear and concise enough for a lot people, including me. And I used to consider myself rational and able to parse a presentation. Here we have you telling that they were concise and clear and awesomeness was known from the beginning (which was Sony's to copy), and eastmen telling us that they were taking their time to explain things and not revealing the awesome bits because they didn't want to be copied by Sony. If I'm parsing it correctly, these are conflicting points; even though I understand you are not responsible for other's posts, it shows the amount of confusion (but based on my own track record, not even understanding clearly MS's concise information, I may be getting it wrong :) ).

Another point in my favor. You can't even parse two comments correctly. clear and concise does not equal fully detailed. Awesomeness was known from the beginning. Details and EVEN MORE AWESOMENESS was scheduled from initial reveal through launch. reveal - services, E3 - games, Gamescom - Indies, etc. For this conversation the high level benefits of the always on were clearly articulated. However, no one actually believed public statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back