News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things don't get finalized in a split second. Aside from that , announcing plans 5 months ago would give sony time to copy them.

Detailing game sharing would at e3 would give sony 5 months to copy it and give them a guide on what to implement and what not.

I don't know why your assuming that Sony would want to copy want MS is doing, they seem to be dedicated towards the opposite of what there plans where.

I think the reality distortion is with anyone who fails to see that it was MS who screwed the message. Blaming your target audience for your own failure to be clear and concise about your product is the worst kind of corporate egotism going. Spinning around three times and clicking your heels together whilst repeating the 'it's all their fault' mantra isn't going to earn any of the lost respect, integrity, and more importantly, sales back.

You are making my point for me. They were clear and concise. They did make a mistake by treating their audience as rational beings capable of parsing a presentation.

I don't know why your assuming that Sony would want to copy want MS is doing, they seem to be dedicated towards the opposite of what there plans where.

last I heard digital sales on the psp were over 50% of its sales.

Everything is moving to digital , sony is offering digital preorders for the ps4 also .

Also lets not forget feature parity.

Instead of shouting TV 163 times during the reveal event, they could have demonstrated game sharing after a person skypes his friend / brother in another corner of the country. They could have done this at E3. They had two big chances to do that, but no they didn't. It wouldn't take two minutes to show off the family plan and game sharing in a mock skype conversation.

But in fact, the digital sharing sounded too good to be true, really. It would be the best and most generous digital distribution platform. And we got to know how awesome it was after they removed it. It sounds fishy to me, to say the least. "We'd have given diamonds the size of a fist to every Xbox owner, but we had to change our plans." Oh, why didn't you say so earlier?

The full extent of the awesomeness was known from the beginning. People just couldn't read or didn't believe what they read. AS for the TV, MS clearly informed everyone that the reveal would be conducted over multiple events. Media, Services and Vision was first and E3 (you know that games show) was all about games. simple, straightforward logical plan that was well communicated. However, none of that seemed to penetrate the cloud of FUD.

Things don't get finalized in a split second. Aside from that , announcing plans 5 months ago would give sony time to copy them.

Detailing game sharing would at e3 would give sony 5 months to copy it and give them a guide on what to implement and what not.

You are making my point for me. They were clear and concise. They did make a mistake by treating their audience as rational beings capable of parsing a presentation.

They were not clear and concise enough for a lot people, including me. And I used to consider myself rational and able to parse a presentation. Here we have you telling that they were concise and clear and awesomeness was known from the beginning (which was Sony's to copy), and eastmen telling us that they were taking their time to explain things and not revealing the awesome bits because they didn't want to be copied by Sony. If I'm parsing it correctly, these are conflicting points; even though I understand you are not responsible for other's posts, it shows the amount of confusion (but based on my own track record, not even understanding clearly MS's concise information, I may be getting it wrong :) ).

Well I would say that they made the classic mistake of assuming people had a brain and the capacity of logical thinking. Their original policies were phenomenally forward thinking and very consumer friendly. However, it seems the world was incapable of grasping that fact

Sorry, consumers disagree.

Or - they didn't communicate how lending games /multiple users with the same master account would work, because they hadn't hammered down the details yet.

Their vision was clear. They wanted online DRM so that you could play your games on any Xbox One, anywhere in the world. Where you went, your games/media went with you. The optical drive was included as a means of content delivery, nothing more.

Their big mistake was assuming people could connect the dots, that their next generation console would work exactly like software purchases for their phones and tablets work today.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was a good reveal event, I'd like them to have had a more technology oriented reveal, explaining what makes the XB1 SOC special, and what the new time-of-flight tech in Kinect 2 means, and a demonstration would have been nice.

However, had they spent any significant time at the reveal event detailing what is effectively an expanded Live Gold Family feature, they would have been slaughtered in the press and by fanboys for wasting their time.

Cheers

lol

Comparing 50GB game downloads to MB downloads for phones and tablets is just plain ridiculous.

I go to a friend´s house to play my copy of Ryse. I start the download when I get there and, 5 hours later (that if he has a fast connection), when I already left, it´s done. Just... lol.

lol

Comparing 50GB game downloads to MB downloads for phones and tablets is just plain ridiculous.

I go to a friend´s house to play my copy of Ryse. I start the download when I get there and, 5 hours later (that if he has a fast connection), when I already left, it´s done. Just... lol.

But pre 180 drm reversal you simply bring your ryse disc over and boom install it cause its treated the same as a dd .

Its how I do it with steam. There is a reason why I sometimes still buy a disc game for the pc.

The power of forum warriors, ruining the awesome Microsoft plans that would benefit everyone, because they wanted to reveal their awesome plan slowly. Does not make any sense to me, or doesn't clear Microsoft from blame, given that after their initial reveal and drm details, they still had E3 to clear that confusion, there was this backlash prior to E3, no single point was addressed or detailed at E3, just because they wanted to take things slow and tease us?

All that was ever said at E3 that the Xbox Gold Plan could be shared in family. No single word about sharing games or anything. Those family game sharing plan was a bullet point in a long list with absolutely no details, and I don't see how anyone can blame people posting on forums.

Most of what MS planned for DRM was similar to Steam, which is widely beloved (probably mostly because it's perceived as anti-MS in the PC game space, ironically).

Gamers may not want to hear that they are the ones who are simply biased, but it is the fact imo.

One can to on youtube and see a bunch of positive comments on a PSeye video, yet Kinect is reviled. There is no consistency there. Move was also widely touted on Neogaf, yet we're told Kinect is hated because core gamers hate motion controls. Sometimes the double standards really could not be any clearer.

Used games? Where's the hubub that Sony is still tacking on a $10 online pass on first party games (such as the recent Last of Us)? There is none. Yet, I thought used games were sacrosanct...

Most of what MS planned for DRM was similar to Steam, which is widely beloved (probably mostly because it's perceived as anti-MS in the PC game space, ironically).

Gamers may not want to hear that they are the ones who are simply biased, but it is the fact imo.

One can to on youtube and see a bunch of positive comments on a PSeye video, yet Kinect is reviled. There is no consistency there. Move was also widely touted on Neogaf, yet we're told Kinect is hated because core gamers hate motion controls. Sometimes the double standards really could not be any clearer.

Used games? Where's the hubub that Sony is still tacking on a $10 online pass on first party games (such as the recent Last of Us)? There is none. Yet, I thought used games were sacrosanct...

I don't want to get into this as it seems off topic to the current conversation, but there are things that you are pretty widely glossing over, and some completely incorrect. The backlash to MS's DRM policies was not entirely undeserved, nor is a comparison to steam valid.

I don't want to get into this as it seems off topic to the current conversation, but there are things that you are pretty widely glossing over, and some completely incorrect. The backlash to MS's DRM policies was not entirely undeserved, nor is a comparison to steam valid.

we have already discussed this before many times and it just dead ends.

I've been a steam user since half life 2 just came out and other than r the online check being required to allow you to continue using a physical disc , where as steam kills the physical disc once a code is entered and doesn't require a check in every 24 hours there isn't much different.

last I heard digital sales on the psp were over 50% of its sales.

Everything is moving to digital , sony is offering digital preorders for the ps4 also .

Nobody was complaining about digital purchases, people were complaining about removing traditional consumer rights and concepts of ownership from physical media. Sony aren't doing that on any platform but that's what Microsoft were proposing for Xbox One.

Lots of people hated that idea. That's why Microsoft changed it.

Of course Sony could copy the idea since it would be the same publisher's games. Trying to hide that until.. Ehmm launch? Sounds like a bad excuse, Sony most likely read the rumors heard what Microsoft was supposedly planning and did nothing, they could wait as long as they wanted. The only one that got cheated by playing the waiting game was Microsoft.

And the proposed policy does sound very good, better than steam. Perfect for founding a family with your friends.

But here is the deal, nothing is stopping Microsoft from doing everything they promised with their dd games. Except if they didn't really mean to do as they said they would.

For the next 10 years we can ask them when they are bringing their promised features to the platform.

we have already discussed this before many times and it just dead ends.

I've been a steam user since half life 2 just came out and other than r the online check being required to allow you to continue using a physical disc , where as steam kills the physical disc once a code is entered and doesn't require a check in every 24 hours there isn't much different.

Steam has a offline mode, that works!
Steam is based on a platforms that will be here longer than xb1 to xbox 10 :)

Steam has a offline mode, that works!
Steam is based on a platforms that will be here longer than xb1 to xbox 10 :)
An offline mode that blocks your games elsewhere until you disable it would do it. There'll always be an awkward disc/DD divide though, unless they allow you to convert and do away with the disc. But that would require everyone to be online for disc installation, and probably another shit storm.

MS have said they'll bring the family sharing feature back at some point I think.

Quite the opposite actually :LOL: Both you and eastmen are working in tandem to provide us with exactly the same kind of PR failure that MS did originally. Mixed messages, contradictions. The whole works! It's time to break out the popcorn again :cool:

Nobody was complaining about digital purchases, people were complaining about removing traditional consumer rights and concepts of ownership from physical media. Sony aren't doing that on any platform but that's what Microsoft were proposing for Xbox One.

Lots of people hated that idea. That's why Microsoft changed it.

And no one has complained about steam in 10 years or IOS/ANDRIOD

Its a double standard , people were very happy to give up these traditional consumer rights and concepts of ownership as long as its not to a company called ms

And no one has complained about steam in 10 years or IOS/ANDRIOD

Its a double standard , people were very happy to give up these traditional consumer rights and concepts of ownership as long as its not to a company called ms
I can't believe I'm joining this circular argument once again, but...

IOS and Android and Steam are different in that they are download titles. Everyone is comfortable with download titles not being shareable. MS made disk titles unshareable (or rather, with a DRM policy that was very unclear). That's what people protested about.

Also, MS wanted the console to have an internet connection to play any game, which is very different to people's existing experiences. Everyone has experience with online services where obviously they need a working internet connection to stream internet movies or play online games, but these services also allow games to be played on the rare occasions the internet isn't working. MS's proposition removed that option.

There are no double standards here. MS was wanting to do something new and different. I personally don't find the proposition too objectionable, especially with some of the (eventually explained) benefits, but MS failed to tell everyone in a convincing fashion. All those defending MS and blaming the general public are completely failing to see the situation as it really was, as evidenced by the numerous comparisons to unrelated services and companies. It's not possible to point to consumer acceptance of MS's policies in other domains because there are none, because MS was being cutting-edge, forward thinking here, moving more towards the always connected, internet universe than anyone else has got thus far (making it compulsory instead of optional, regardless how much people use the optional online services).

All the arguments against were, on the whole, legitimate, even if exaggerated (most of the exaggeration was actually coming from the opposition, who'd read someone saying, "my internet is down sometimes," and claim forum posters claim the internet doesn't work at all...). All the arguments against were also generally legitimate (with the same sort of ridiculous exaggerations from the opposition). It was a proposition with pros and cons, and one which gave the consumers choice of a different way of doing things. The 180 by MS was unfortunate IMO for lots of reasons. But the blame for this is MS failing to 1) communicate their vision effectively (only needed a 5 minute lifestyle video), and 2) back it up with conviction. If their market was never the forum-warrior populace, they should have just ignored the forum warriors (after having put forward a better sales pitch in the first place to sway their opinion).

lol

What? Don't games on both systems have the ability to be played during download? With MS' system if your friend is on your friend list he could download the bulk of it before you arrive. You don't need all 50gb to play the game. Whats the hyperbole about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back