News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Twitter is a perfectly suitable outlet for marketing that thrives on simple phrases and punchlines ... ;) And the information that can be harvested from Twitter itself is also highly valuable marketing material, so there is two-fold motivation to support the platform.

I agree, though to be fair sometimes Twitter has helped.
The 12Gb upgrade speculation come to an end thanks to a Tweet and Yoshida Tweets are often insightful.

More often than not Yoshida's tweets are very precise. He often gives out information in the form of answering yes or no questions so most of the time there's not much ambiguity.

Twitter isn't the problem, the problem is PR guys not acknowledging the advantages/disadvantages of a media and using the wrong media to answer the right questions. If a problem warrants an essay, don't use a tweet to answer it. You also do not need a press conference to say a simple "no".

BTW,
Twitter definitely is long enough to formulate good answers. You just have to do them in Asian languages that have much looser length restrictions. :LOL: (you can fit a lot more information in much less characters)

You also do not need a press conference to say a simple "no".
You definitely need a press conference if the answer is no, because the PR team will want to spin "no" as a good thing, and explain that that "yes" was considered but wasn't consistent with the vision of the future. And never ever use the word "no", instead start the sentence with "So, what our vision is..." and explain that those who want "yes" are living in the past. I love PR.

You definitely need a press conference if the answer is no, because the PR team will want to spin "no" as a good thing, and explain that that "yes" was considered but wasn't consistent with the vision of the future. And never ever use the word "no", instead start the sentence with "So, what our vision is..." and explain that those who want "yes" are living in the past. I love PR.

That's probably the best explanation of why Penello's tweet is so awkward.

The answer he should have given is simply 'no, not at launch'. But he's got a PR background and knew that was the 'wrong' thing to say, so he wrote something positive then added the answer. Unfortunately, what he wrote doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you compare that to @yosp, he doesn't seem to have the natural PR instinct, and that gains a degree of credit... even if it's sometimes a bit blunt ;).
Yoshida ps4 support Arabic? I want a satisfying answer
sorry, no
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/374493928235339776

But you know something? Because of Yoshida's simplicity in responding it creates a sense of honesty.
Even if some of his replies are negative, you appreciate his immediateness and clear answer. No effort to use any PR stunts to twist and distort. And many appreciate that.
He is like "one of our guys"
However MS has beeing using PR stunts so much that it is too obvious. That distances them from the consumer sometimes. They are like "those other guys". I cant bare reading or listening to anything coming directly from them anymore. It reminds me of those guys employed by various MLM companies who use the same PR tactics to convince people to jump in....jump in?....WAIT A MINUTE. Anyways after attending some of their presentations, you get tired and pissed at the lack of honesty since you begin to pick up the same patterns.and tactics of PR communication.

But you know something? Because of Yoshida's simplicity in responding it creates a sense of honesty.
Even if some of his replies are negative, you appreciate his immediateness and clear answer. No effort to use any PR stunts to twist and distort. And many appreciate that.
However MS has beeing using PR stunts so much that it is too obvious. That distances them from the consumer sometimes. They are like "those other guys". I cant bare reading or listening to anything coming directly from them anymore. It reminds me of those guys employed by various MLM companies who use the same PR tactics to convince people to jump in....jump in?....WAIT A MINUTE. Anyways after attending some of their presentations, you get tired and pissed at the lack of honesty since you begin to pick up the same patterns.and tactics of PR communication.

thats only if you come into it thinking that.

So what folks are saying is:

If Penello (aka MS) writes "no," then they need to have a press conference to explain what "no" means because "no" isnt just "no" its trying twist "no" "into something beneficial."

But if Yoshida or Cerny (aka Sony) write "No," thats the hallmark of simplicity and honesty. Because their "no"s mean "no."

OK

I think much of it is confirmation bias or misreading of generally clear enough statements. MS just can't win with some people, even when their "PR stunts" and practices are the same as those of their competition.

No sure if this was known and I'm just late but...

Cool. Though I suppose inevitable.

But is he saying NO local saves at launch? Cue "MS IS REQUIRING ONLINE OH NOES" backlash??

Edit: I guess he means EXTERNAL HDD wont be save supported?

So, if I´m playing offline, I can´t save my progress?

thats only if you come into it thinking that.

So what folks are saying is:

If Penello (aka MS) writes "no," then they need to have a press conference to explain what "no" means because "no" isnt just "no" its trying twist "no" "into something beneficial."

But if Yoshida or Cerny (aka Sony) write "No," thats the hallmark of simplicity and honesty. Because their "no"s mean "no."

OK

No that's very different from what people are saying here.

No sure if this was known and I'm just late but...

Cool. Though I suppose inevitable.

But is he saying NO local saves at launch? Cue "MS IS REQUIRING ONLINE OH NOES" backlash??

Edit: I guess he means EXTERNAL HDD wont be save supported?

So, if I´m playing offline, I can´t save my progress?

I'm more confused about the responses here.
Tweet is very clear.

He is saying you don't need (backup) saves on external HDD because you already have cloud backups. Business as usual for internal storage saves.

However the guy who asked the question actually meant game data, not saves.
So the second sentence of the Mr. Penello's response answers that. It will be supported eventually.

Is this real :
http://maxlevel.org/insomniac-developers-shut-xbox-one-using-studio-pa/

At insomniac ppl are playing pranks by shouting "Xbox Off" on PA system and causing shutdowns of dev kits in the studio :LOL:

Doesn't kinect use Voice recognition to register commands only in the voice of current user? I thought it was just a internet joke.

If you're in front of the console, talking and Xbox Off is said(and it is picked up) then it will work. However there is a delay to cancel the command and I'm sure the final version will have the option to turn off the command.

If you're in front of the console, talking and Xbox Off is said(and it is picked up) then it will work.
It shouldn't. XB1 is supposed to isolate the position of each voice, and match it to the talker. Background words should be filtered out. However, I suppose in the case of "Xbox on", you just want a global response, and so perhaps similarly they went with "Xbox off" via the same route, instead of matching voice to user.

Who does Kinect prioritise for voice controls? The user who logged in first? The user registered as parent?

Quick news:

Xbox One is expected to outsell PS4 this holiday season in the UK:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/john_lewis_expecting_more_interest_in_xbox_one_than_ps4.html

Xbox One, keyboard and mouse support is a given in the future and it could help to create new experiences.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/xbox-one-mouse-keyboard,news-45781.html

Xbox One will feature PC cross play in 2014:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/10/10/xbox-one-advantages-with-pc-cross-play-in-2014/

U.S. president Barack Obama uses the Xbox to explain his stance in government shutdown.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/obama-...m=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+geekwire+(GeekWire)

Quick news:

Xbox One is expected to outsell PS4 this holiday season in the UK:
Seriously, how do some of you people come to these conclusions?? John Lewis is a single chain of department stores, selling homewares and clothes. Their clientèle are middle-class, happy to spend RRP or even more on their products. John Lewis's gaming section is a tiny handful of consoles and games. It's no wonder that they expect XB1 to sell more seeing as their customers are likely going to be more interested in voice controlled TV and fitness games than they are interested in twin stick shooters and AAA titles. Gamers will not be going to JL to fuel their hobby. The exact quote...

"We are stocking both the PS4 and the Xbox One but if we were to back one, we are thinking that Xbox One will appeal a bit more to our customers in terms of the experience it creates." He added: "If we had to edge one I would favour the Xbox One."

So how on earth can one get from that to "XB1 is expected to outsell PS4 in the UK"?? :oops: :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back