News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures of black xbone printed on a black cardboard box... HMM. Only me see the potential for problems here...? :)

I'm an almost compulsive collector of beautifully designed product packaging, particularly from japanese companies (and apple), since such care is taken in wrapping things and tucking them in neatly inside the box. The original launch 360 box was a marvel to behold. It was really, really small compared to all the stuff it held. Really masterfully done. Haven't seen the 360S box though so I don't know what effort was spent there.

Major Nelson tweeted the "very first Xbox One off the assembly line"

Odd, it's green. I guess people speculate this is the non day 1 edition.

2nv.png

At first glance I like the black day one edition packaging better, but I dunno after a bit I kinda like the green too.

Man, this is ugly...

Looking at the boxes its obvious why they are going with the green one. It will be much cheaper to print and weirdly enough I know someone who does printing ! Looking at as much as a 5th of the cost for the all green box.

Looking at the boxes its obvious why they are going with the green one. It will be much cheaper to print and weirdly enough I know someone who does printing ! Looking at as much as a 5th of the cost for the all green box.
When you say a fifth the cost, is that 1 cent versus 5 cents, or $1 versus $5? I know all the budget foods at the supermarket do away with fancy packaging to save costs. Given that the device is an expensive CE product, skimping on the packaging seems a little misplaced. I think the box will stand out very nicely in stores though, unmistakably. The eye will be drawn to that huge stack/pyramid of Kermit goodness! I just don't think green is a cool colour, but then because of that it means a brand using it can stand out.

Out of curiosity why did MS choose green for the Xbox?
Is here a story behind this choice or they just chose it for the well knows "proprietaries" of the colour itself?

You might note there's been no AMD part with > 10 CUs that has a single triangle setup rate. So they're near the knee of the curve.

My original comment was saying it's not an advantage to have higher CU utilization if you are feeding the same 2 prim/clock fixed function pipeline and are able to keep them fed. Shader utilization isn't the goal when it comes to geometry processing. Ensuring the fixed function logic doesn't starve is the goal.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess having CUs idling is irrelevant if you're bottlenecked elsewhere.

Out of curiosity why did MS choose green for the Xbox?
Is here a story behind this choice or they just chose it for the well knows "proprietaries" of the colour itself?

Have you ever booted up an Xbox device?

When you say a fifth the cost, is that 1 cent versus 5 cents, or $1 versus $5? I know all the budget foods at the supermarket do away with fancy packaging to save costs. Given that the device is an expensive CE product, skimping on the packaging seems a little misplaced. I think the box will stand out very nicely in stores though, unmistakably. The eye will be drawn to that huge stack/pyramid of Kermit goodness! I just don't think green is a cool colour, but then because of that it means a brand using it can stand out.

The limited edition one will be over $1 while the green will be under 50 cents. If you look at the boxes you can see a lot less changes in color shades .

THe real question is what the back of the box looks like.

The limited edition one will be over $1 while the green will be under 50 cents. If you look at the boxes you can see a lot less changes in color shades .

THe real question is what the back of the box looks like.

Why is that ? Is that because there is usually a lot more info ( pictures, text ) on the back and that adds cost-wise depending on complexity or is it curiosity ?

Why is that ? Is that because there is usually a lot more info ( pictures, text ) on the back and that adds cost-wise depending on complexity or is it curiosity ?
Yes. Each colour requires another pass in the printing process. Screenshots and icons on the reverse would mean the same complexity as printing the box full colour, and show that the colour choice wasn't economics. If the packaging is universally simple green and black, it'd point a finger to saving millions of dollars (thanks eastmen for the figures) being the reason. If the reverse is full colour, it'd point to striking design being the criteria for packing appearance.

sorry, but if the buttons are colored with red etc, there's still need for additional pass, so the mostly all green is not that cheaper

Yes. Each colour requires another pass in the printing process. Screenshots and icons on the reverse would mean the same complexity as printing the box full colour, and show that the colour choice wasn't economics. If the packaging is universally simple green and black, it'd point a finger to saving millions of dollars (thanks eastmen for the figures) being the reason. If the reverse is full colour, it'd point to striking design being the criteria for packing appearance.

Isn't CMYK only 4 passes?

2nv.png

At first glance I like the black day one edition packaging better, but I dunno after a bit I kinda like the green too.
The secret sauce is a levitating console?

I'm not seeing how the green box can be a 100% price difference from the day one box. From the screen shots the only difference I can see is that one box has green, the other has grey. All the other colors are the same.

2nv.png

Not to mention, green means "go" and is the color of money (at least in USA) :smile:

Packaging prints everything on 1 big sheet. Yeah the regular box might be simpler (CMYK passes can be fast + 1 Pantone green) but you still need 4+1 colors.

Ironically the Day One ed might just require 4 colors, but it requires a lot more ink for the whole box and needs to be printed/dried slower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back