News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
again, i dont really follow these sagas, but ms line was they never said anything about what their self publish policy on xbo would be until they said they would allow it.

that's not a 180, it's policy where it was up in the air going into next gen.

I'll give you that one...

i didn't know supposedly ms told ign no headset. so there's that. call me crazy but i'm still like 1% skeptical of ign there, but i'm probably crazy.

Trust me. I do follow these kind of things & it wasn't just them...

UPDATE: Microsoft sent along this statement in response to a request from Ars Technica.

Xbox One does not include a pack-in headset accessory. Each Xbox One includes the new Kinect sensor, with a highly sensitive multi-array microphones designed to enable voice inputs and chat as a system-level capability, both in-game and with Skype and other experiences. For gamers who prefer a headset, we have a variety of offerings that you can find on the Xbox Wire.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...one-headsets-arent-included-with-base-system/

Tommy McClain

the headset may have been planned to be included from the start, and as mentioned probably only costs 2-3 dollars.

that said at the end of the day every bit counts i guess, i just dont think headset comes close to equating to 4gb ram in bom (at a wild guess, maybe $15?), so it wouldn't be a strict trade.

things are pointing to a 12gb ram unveil at gamescom, and nelson skipping over the ram quantity just adds some fuel.

I they'll analyze the return on each decision separately from each other. The inclusion of the chat headset surely is to ensure that XBL remains the platform of choice for online gaming this generation (by ensuring a consistent, high quality, and flexible experience for everyone).

The RAM has a separate set of benefits that have to be evaluated against its cost. Whether its IQ, performance, talking points, it will be a different benefit and has to 'pay for itself.'

If they both "pay for themselves" then they wont have to be mutually exclusive.

I'm sure he meant IR blaster. It will likely be a strong enough signal to reflect back in typical living rooms. That's what I would consider an easy way to set up for the masses. Another good reason for having Kinect plugged in as mandatory.

Ahh, OK. Still makes me wonder if I'll be able to use my Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 remote with it. Still haven't heard any confirmation about IR remote control support.

Tommy McClain

Ahh, OK. Still makes me wonder if I'll be able to use my Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 remote with it. Still haven't heard any confirmation about IR remote control support.

Tommy McClain

Ahh, yes you will be able to use universal remotes. They will provide the IR codes. What I'm not 100% sure is if the receiver is on the Xbox One or the Kinect. I'm going to assume they put the receiver in the Kinect since that would be in the best location.

Bundling 2 to 3 dollars worth of a headset wont matter. To ms its really just a fart in the wind compared to other costs in the system.

Still very good news and one less thing for gaf to complain about
Not sure if the headset equates to 2 - 3 dollars or not.

But given the scales of manufacturing, it wouldn't surprise me if the cost between 4GB and headset is a lot closer than that. Fully except I could be talking total crap here though :LOL:

It does give certain people less to complain about though, but it is an additional cost that MS has to absorb, and they all add up.
I'm not dismissing the positives though, i.e. possible extra sales, perception, etc.

Not sure if the headset equates to 2 - 3 dollars or not.

But given the scales of manufacturing, it wouldn't surprise me if the cost between 4GB and headset is a lot closer than that. Fully except I could be talking total crap here though :LOL:

It does give certain people less to complain about though, but it is an additional cost that MS has to absorb, and they all add up.
I'm not dismissing the positives though, i.e. possible extra sales, perception, etc.

The Xbox 360 headset was probably 2-3 dollars. This one looks slightly better, especially the controller connecting part. Infinitely better than the cord attachment mute controls.

I guess we'll see, but then again it's exclusion could be used a delay to diffuse the negativity that will be generated when they finally know it's not included.

BTW, it was confirmed by MS that the headset wasn't included. So this is another 180. How many are we up to now? 3 -DRM, self publishing & headset? One more & we will be back to 720! LOL

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/xbox-one-will-not-include-a-headset

Tommy McClain

It all started with Sony doing a 180 and not including the PSEye.

Anyways, its good to see the little touches and common sense in the packaging. I'm sure that's why they also made it perfectly clear its a 4K capable HDMI cable, to avoid any possible "it's just a cheap cable, prob not even 4K" forum bantering.

I can't believe people are surprised by this. Really? Seriously? Sony conceding to charging for online multiplayer just endorsed Microsoft's whole reasoning for having a paywall. Expect more paid features from both sides. Eventually you won't be able to do any gaming without a subscription. It's coming, get ready.

Charging for multiplayer is warranted if your console manufacturer is providing a solid server backend to support gaming - running costs have to come from somewhere. I present exhibit A (Xbox Live Gold) and exhibit B (PSN on PS3). I rest my case.

It makes perfect sense, it's a internet service to spread your videos, most except the absolute minimum access will require gold. I wonder if you will be able to use the Browser at all, the TV functions etc..

If Microsoft are hosting and sharing the videos, that's fair enough, but if they are paywalling using the MPEG4 encoding features of their GPU you paid for as part of the hardware, and uploading encoded video to YouTube/uStream/Vimeo then I struggle to see the value they are adding, nor what costs I, as a user, would be subsidising. I have no reservations paying people for value services they provide.

Fair enough, looks like a decent (enough) headset which is nice.

But I was coming from the view of, that every one produced prior would have made a profit, now they don't, and there will be less sales also. Therefore cost of bundling is higher (if that makes sense)

How much is 4GB? Not talking pc retail modules, where it has pcb, production costs etc.

The chips themselves probably doesn't cost that much in volume surely?

Is my reasoning very far of on all this?

It all started with Sony doing a 180 and not including the PSEye.
My [poor] recollection was Sony said the Eye would be included with the PS4 at their February event however I couldn't locate any sound bite where they said this during their eons long presentation. Did they ever say this was the case?

@Dsoup: The "main" reason you couldn't locate the soundbite is because it was never there :) Sony never said they'd bundle it, but they mentioned how the the controller was developed in tandem with the PS Eye, and it was never confirmed and then retracted: Here's me babbling about it in another forum:

http://www.ps4blog.net/topic/ps4-may-not-come-with-ps4-eye-by-default/

With link to an interview to Sony UK exec.

Edit: Here's the quote of the Sony UK exec, during March:
-I believe the announced camera accessory is packaged with every PS4, is that correct?
-“I don’t think we’ve pinned that down as yet, exactly what product configurations there will be. More details will be revealed over a few levels in the next few months.”

Charging for multiplayer is warranted if your console manufacturer is providing a solid server backend to support gaming - running costs have to come from somewhere. I present exhibit A (Xbox Live Gold) and exhibit B (PSN on PS3). I rest my case.

If Microsoft are hosting and sharing the videos, that's fair enough, but if they are paywalling using the MPEG4 encoding features of their GPU you paid for as part of the hardware, and uploading encoded video to YouTube/uStream/Vimeo then I struggle to see the value they are adding, nor what costs I, as a user, would be subsidising. I have no reservations paying people for value services they provide.

xbox one videos get saved to cloud/live account as it is called. So yes they are providing server space for gold members for all of their console needs.

In fact originally before the whiners got them to back off disk dmr, your disc games would have been also saved to cloud on your account to be downloaded and played anywhere, (which is still true for DD games)

It's silly to care about "180s" IMO.

I was at 85% chance of 8GB, but after this I'm down to 50/50.

For the cost of about $10 MS would have plenty of memory for a 7/5 initial split, maybe moving to 8/4 later. This would give them 40% more ram for games than Sony and 67% more for the OS.

They could use that to justify the $499 price tag as most people have no idea about the difference between GDDR and DDR memory.

Sony can't afford to follow. The GDDR equivalent cost would be enormous by comparison.

If I were making the decision at MS, I'd do it.

"Xbox Live offers Xbox One unlimited storage space in the cloud for all Xbox Live members to store numerous types of Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment. This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are,"

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft_..._unlimited_cloud_storage_xbox_one_console2013

I doubt MS is going to allow video, sounds more like data associated with your XBL account.

xbox one videos get saved to cloud/live account as it is called. So yes they are providing server space for gold members for all of their console needs.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm guessing Live allows sharing videos with folks who don't have an Xbox?

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft_..._unlimited_cloud_storage_xbox_one_console2013

I doubt MS is going to allow video, sounds more like data associated with your XBL account.

Why do you doubt? Any solid insider view or just a gut feel?

I'm sceptical of video game DVR storage too, but then again they allowed some of that on the Halo series, but that might have just been Bungie's call. Though I sort of expect them to want to have more content and control around content then just offloading that to YouTube... Why give free content to Google to make ad impressions money when MS would prefer to make that ad revenue themselves?

It's silly to care about "180s" IMO.
Policy 180s are more of interest to the board, shareholders and the industry itself; it signifies a lack of reading/understanding of the market or a lack of conviction about the strategy of a product. You expect an adjustment of policies, or tweaking or clarifying, but full policy reversals are rare. They're not all bad of course, supporting indie self publishing can only be a good thing.

They could use that to justify the $499 price tag as most people have no idea about the difference between GDDR and DDR memory.

Sony can't afford to follow. The GDDR equivalent cost would be enormous by comparison.

If I were making the decision at MS, I'd do it.

There are known ways to accomplish 12GB DDR3 with known extant or upcoming chip densities (some are a bit iffy).
The 8GB capacity was considered dubious early on because the new density hadn't been announced. Going further for GDDR5 would be introducing a newer new density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back