News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IGN thing is headsets in every box. Not too bad.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/08/xbox-one-includes-chat-headset

Also:

Microsoft revealed several new details regarding its upcoming console and accessories as they unboxed the new machine, said to be one of 20 final-spec Xbox Ones in the world so far.

Hmm...

Real source:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-unboxing

interesting stuff:

The chat on Xbox One offers 3x the sampling rate of the Xbox 360. The quality of the Xbox One Chat Headset speaker and microphone have been upgraded to take advantage of the much improved audio quality. It’s also super lightweight-only 44g-with a padded earpiece that can be worn on either your left or right ear, and a bendable, rotating mic boom. You can control mute and volume without taking your hands off the controller.

Of course, a HDMI cable, a power supply and a Quick Start Guide are included as well.

Here’s a few other insider details – straight from Albert Penello, our director of product planning for Xbox One:

When we say 4K HDMI cable, we mean it. The HDMI cable we’re including is an actual Category 2 HDMI cable, rated for 1080P, 3D and 4K, according to the HDMI 1.4 spec.

The built-in wireless on Xbox 360 just supported single-band A/B/G/N @ 2.4ghz. The Xbox One wireless radio is A/B/G/N, but supports dual-band 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies.

The console shown in the video is one of the first production units – less than 20 exist in the world (and yes, this box has the 853mhz GPU).

The 5ghz wifi thing might kinda be a big deal. I recall Anandtech editor Brian Klug going on a big twitter rant that XBO didn't have 5ghz wi-fi, which he considered a necessity. Well I guess it does.

Interesting, Nelson mentions 8 core x86 CPU, 500GB hard drive, but doesn't mention RAM quantity :p

Youtube of the unboxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrmAsxJPv4

So retail production has started and I guess to deflate people wanting to do their own in China, Major Nelson decided to do one for us. Reminds me of the Wii U unboxing by Mr. Iwata of Nintendo. Also glad they are including a headset, one less thing for people to complain about.

I think there's 85% chance that it will be 8GB, down from 90%

I still think any reason for a memory bump would be more due to MS believing OS doesn't have enough room for the life of the box, and not to try and simply one up PS4, or because developers demanded more.
This rumour sort of falls in line with that a bit.

But a 50/50 split, that would be beyond amazing (not in a good way).
I thought if anything a bump to 4, 4.5, 5GB max OS reserve.

Does bundling the headset, make a memory bump less likely?
Simply due to BOM for the whole package point of view.

Nifty! Getting real! LOL Even though I had no problem with just using Kinect, but I like how they now include the headset. More stuff is always good. Guess they are not upgrading the size of the hard drive. Maybe saving the upgrade for the RAM? LOL

Also thought interesting to hear that Kinect is also an IR Blaster. How would that work when it's pointing away from your components? Maybe he meant IR Receiver instead?

Cool On/Off switch even though most won't even use it. :)

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont care for those touch buttons, I prefer tactile feedback.

the console itself is pretty big. I dont find it hideous or attractive. It just kind of is. Inoffensive but no thing of beauty.

Bundling 2 to 3 dollars worth of a headset wont matter. To ms its really just a fart in the wind compared to other costs in the system.

Still very good news and one less thing for gaf to complain about

I think so. But wouldn't that upset the forum warriors? ;) They could have gotten 12GB RAM but got a headset instead? If they are able to pull off the 12gb RAM they might just reverse a lot of their bad publicity for launch. Going to be interesting to see how they will try to solve that at Gamescom.

Tommy McClain

Bundling 2 to 3 dollars worth of a headset wont matter. To ms its really just a fart in the wind compared to other costs in the system.

Still very good news and one less thing for gaf to complain about

the thing is i havent followed every moment of this saga, but i was under the impression ms never actually said they wouldn't bundle it. it was up in the air the whole time.

unless i'm wrong neogaf just made up that it wasn't set to be included, that was never official.

I think so. But wouldn't that upset the forum warriors? ;) They could have gotten 12GB RAM but got a headset instead? If they are able to pull off the 12gb RAM they might just reverse a lot of their bad publicity for launch. Going to be interesting to see how they will try to solve that at Gamescom.

Tommy McClain

the headset may have been planned to be included from the start, and as mentioned probably only costs 2-3 dollars.

that said at the end of the day every bit counts i guess, i just dont think headset comes close to equating to 4gb ram in bom (at a wild guess, maybe $15?), so it wouldn't be a strict trade.

things are pointing to a 12gb ram unveil at gamescom, and nelson skipping over the ram quantity just adds some fuel.

the headset may have been planned to be included from the start, and as mentioned probably only costs 2-3 dollars.

that said at the end of the day every bit counts i guess, i just dont think headset comes close to equating to 4gb ram in bom, so it wouldn't be a strict trade.

things are pointing to a 12gb ram unveil at gamescom, and nelson skipping over the ram quantity just adds some fuel.

I guess we'll see, but then again it's exclusion could be used a delay to diffuse the negativity that will be generated when they finally know it's not included.

BTW, it was confirmed by MS that the headset wasn't included. So this is another 180. How many are we up to now? 3 -DRM, self publishing & headset? One more & we will be back to 720! LOL

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/xbox-one-will-not-include-a-headset

Tommy McClain

self publishing was definitely not a 180. more BS...

I guess we'll see, but then again it's exclusion could be used a delay to diffuse the negativity that will be generated when they finally know it's not included.

Very few seem to think it's coming. Probably a couple dozen between here and GAF...the average citizen is pretty clueless. Very few even discuss this on forums (i'm sure the whole topic is taboo on GAF they dont like good xbox rumors, even the gpu upclock that came true was unheard of there only downclock rumors that spawned gigantic threads)

Almost all those in the majority who argue against it (at least on B3D) also say and increase in RAM would not help anyway and would just be meaningless PR, so I dont see why they would be mad if it's not included. It would be nothing lost according to them.

When Major Nelson mentioned the 500GB and 8-core processor without mentioning 8GB of ram I facepalmed and chuckled a little bit. Oh MS, y u do dis? lol

self publishing was definitely not a 180. more BS...

Not sure I believe that. They were always cagey about it even when asked point blank about it. Why hide it when it was giving their competition such an edge? If it wasn't just adds to fire that somebody really sucks at marketing & PR.

Tommy McClain

Not sure I believe that. They were always cagey about it even when asked point blank about it. Why hide it when it was giving their competition such an edge? If it wasn't just adds to fire that somebody really sucks at marketing & PR.

Tommy McClain

again, i dont really follow these sagas, but ms line was they never said anything about what their self publish policy on xbo would be until they said they would allow it.

that's not a 180, it's policy where it was up in the air going into next gen.

i didn't know supposedly ms told ign no headset. so there's that. call me crazy but i'm still like 1% skeptical of ign there, but i'm probably crazy.

Also thought interesting to hear that Kinect is also an IR Blaster. How would that work when it's pointing away from your components? Maybe he meant IR Receiver instead?

Tommy McClain

I'm sure he meant IR blaster. It will likely be a strong enough signal to reflect back in typical living rooms. It's just light. That's what I would consider an easy way to set up for the masses. Another good reason for having Kinect plugged in as mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back