News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true, sort of. Whatever the approvals process is, it isn't free. I imagine 99% of the indies will not get much support, if any, from Sony or MS in terms of marketing etc. Maybe the cream of the crop will get some attention, but probably not for free. I'm not sure how that works in the various smartphone stores.

As the provider of the digital marketplace MS and Sony will provide marketing. Look at what Apple does with its app store. Popularity list, editor picks, genius are all forms of marketing that apps depend on. Apple provides quality control, marketing and distribution, MS and Sony will do the same. Thats basically the function of a publisher.

Surprising news. Xbox One is going to support Mods if developers want them, said Major Nelson.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...ort-Mods-If-Developers-Want-Them-370995.shtml

That's not really what the article says, in fact, the title of the article doesn't even make that claim. The title only makes the claim the One could support Mods. Major Nelson's statement is even more ambiguous, saying that mods are different than Indies self-publishing and that it would be up to the developers to make that happen.

I see that no different than what, I imagine, is the current situation with the 360. If the community was given the tools and had the hardware to make mods and the developers wanted to provide them with the ability and then also provide the screening, I'm sure that 360 games could have mods. For all practical purposes, they'd simply appear to Xbox users as an additional form of DLC.

The only difference is that this would be DLC that was essentially "crowd sourced" from their fanbase that was then vetted and purchased by the developer and then sold to the fanbase as DLC.

I didn't read anything in Major Nelson's very short, very unspecific (what else is new from MS PR?) answer that would lead anybody to believe that the One will offer a way for Mods to exist like they do in the PC realm. Which is what everybody thinks of when they say "Mods".

I could be wrong, but the article and statement in question don't provide any foundation to believe there's anything else happening here. Or, that it's any different than what is currently possible that developers haven't supported because it's a PITA.

On 360 MS wouldn't allow mods, even when devs wanted to do it iirc. So MS allowing for it as per Hryb's comment would seem to alleviate that.

That's not really what the article says, in fact, the title of the article doesn't even make that claim. The title only makes the claim the One could support Mods. Major Nelson's statement is even more ambiguous, saying that mods are different than Indies self-publishing and that it would be up to the developers to make that happen.

Steam Workshop is an infrastructure that Valve provides for user generated mods, but the developers of the titles need to be able to support that. Major Nelson's comment could indicate that MS may be looking at something similar to Steam Workshop on Live (which wouldn't be surprising given that they seem set to compete with Steam in many ways).

If this works like it works for the Apple license, that is, we pay for the license and then can use our own iPad or any iPad and install a profile in it and can use it to test our game. If this is so, will I be able to pass my games to my friends, enabling thier XBOnes by installing my license profile? Thats how it works on the iPad, we even do it to get our games reviewed on journalists' iPads.

Also, do we get full control of the hardware? Is Kinect opened up to all? If yes, then we know people want that, as there were lots of interesting stuff done on Kinect via PC. We can have amusing apps.

Doesn't that open up the system to all kinds of malicious code as anyone can do it now? Does this not raise the concern about piracy?

If MS has a system to answer/quell those doubts, then this is a good move ! I am not expecting many good games but getting to play a co-op pong made by yourself , with your family, will sure be fun :) ! I mean, thats why we love LBP !

It didn't work like that for the XNA & the Creator's Club. In order to play a XBLIG(for debug purposes) you had to log into your Xbox Live account & that account had to pay for a Creator's Club membership($99/year).

Tommy McClain

It didn't work like that for the XNA & the Creator's Club. In order to play a XBLIG(for debug purposes) you had to log into your Xbox Live account & that account had to pay for a Creator's Club membership($99/year).

Tommy McClain

Aww...so we can't share it with others?

You couldn't on the old system unless you shared your Live account. No idea how they will do it on the new system, but there is precedent. I agree with dagamer, the security will be tight & doubt they will allow everybody sharing dev accounts to run unsigned code.

Tommy McClain

I used to share the windows version of my XNA projects. ;)

Debugging was a nightmare over Wi-Fi, part of the reason I wired my house so I would be able to test on different consoles with a variety of display/sound devices. I never tried or think it would work over the net from another location, if I remember right it was stated in the docs that it was local only. (I will double check)

So I guess I'll bring it up since nobody else will. With the new PS4 memory rumor, seems like it would make the 12gb RAM rumor irrelevant, no? I was thinking a 1-in-3 chance of it happening. Now? Not so sure anymore.

Tommy McClain

You couldn't on the old system unless you shared your Live account. No idea how they will do it on the new system, but there is precedent. I agree with dagamer, the security will be tight & doubt they will allow everybody sharing dev accounts to run unsigned code.

Tommy McClain

There is precedent though, with Windows Phone development, you can give beta versions of an app/game to testers even if they aren't enrolled developers. However, the app is still published to the store, it's not side loaded directly onto the phone (I would guess to shut down distribution of apps that violate ToS). You have to give your info to the developer, it's not a download free-for-all in that system.

So beta app sharing is likely to happen, but anything that begins to approach violating Microsoft's ToS with the program will get shut down I suspect.

So I guess I'll bring it up since nobody else will. With the new PS4 memory rumor, seems like it would make the 12gb RAM rumor irrelevant, no? I was thinking a 1-in-3 chance of it happening. Now? Not so sure anymore.

Tommy McClain

Wishful thinking. And this is why companies usually don't go chasing after each other when building hardware unless you have the complete picture.

Besides, I always found it impossible to believe that Microsoft couldn't infer from 3rd party developers how the PS4 system architecture was designed. It has never been developers asking Microsoft for more RAM (indicating 5GB was plenty), but asking Sony for more (3.5GB was too little when the system only had 4GB). Even after the 8GB GDDR5 PS4 unveil, we still never heard rumors of developers asking Microsoft for more RAM, even though it has been widely hypothesized that while the Xbox One reserves 3GB of RAM to itself, only 2GB is used for OS + apps, and 1GB is "idle" (granted, even then, I assume it's acting as an app cache that may go away at some point).

Ultimately, here's a key point I want to bring up. I have never seen a credible article say that games on the PS4 look so much better than the do on the Xbox One that you can tell from the naked eye. Not a one. So if it's not even a PS2 vs. Xbox Classic level difference, then I consider it to be a wash.

Maybe he is referencing some RAM reserve issues with the XB1 assuming the 'or something' refers to the recent Reserve RAM Issues. Maybe he is using finally seeing the light from behind the Power of the Cloud :LOL:

He's already said they're using all 5GB on X1, and wanted more.

I think they'll scan in your likeness using the Kinect and include that in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back