News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Xbox360 sold better in 2012 US in spite of not being #1 on Amazon.

If you add up the 8-10 different Xbox 360 SKUs in Amazon's system that would have been sold that year it probably was. All that list tells us is single SKU sales. Xbox 360 is offered with or without hard drive, with or without Kinect, plus there are a number of Holiday game bundles they do every year, all of which are listed individually.

Not really. It tells you about Amazon's expectation of allocation. How many they actually have come launch day might well be different. These units haven't been built yet for the most part, they aren't sitting in a warehouse waiting to be shipped. The EB near me had ~140 xbox360 pre-orders... they got around 40 actual units on launch day. I know people who pre-ordered and were getting their units in January/February.

Fair point, we cannot know if Sony does the allocation per retailer or Amazon guesstimates the number. But I think Sony should be involved during the process.

That said, in the yearly chart, PS4 vanilla launch edition sold out very quickly, but Xbox One didn't sell out for a few weeks but didn't manage to get closer to PS4 on the chart either, so PS4 was selling at a higher rate.

While I'm wary of neogaf style "my brothers cousins best friend works at Gamestop and he said PS4 has 200 times as many units as Xbox!!!111" reports, there is one source of assumedly semi hard unit pre order data, and that is Amazon's year to date 2013 charts. PS4 is 3rd and XBO is 6th there (launch day editions for both). Which basically says to me although the gap may not be as great as advertised, indeed PS4 launch day has been preordered more/has more supply at Amazon, which is a pretty major retailer.

I've said it a few times but I will say it again. XBOX ONE day one edition is only ever going to be sold on its launch day. That is all that will come out that first week until the regular units come in.

Sony on the other hand is only shipping one sku and let retailers go crazy with the preorders figuring once someone has it preordered they will be willing to wait get it instead of changing to the xbox.

I know that come launch day a lot of people who think they have launch day ps4s will be disappointed.

I've said it a few times but I will say it again. XBOX ONE day one edition is only ever going to be sold on its launch day. That is all that will come out that first week until the regular units come in.

Sony on the other hand is only shipping one sku and let retailers go crazy with the preorders figuring once someone has it preordered they will be willing to wait get it instead of changing to the xbox.

I know that come launch day a lot of people who think they have launch day ps4s will be disappointed.

the problem with this is the ps4 launch sku sold out a fair bit quicker than the xbox one at amazon.

yet by the ytd chart rankings, we can still surmise it sold (was preordered) more in total volume.

I dont know if it should be that surprising a 399 console outsells a 499 one, though.

Microsoft was doing preorders directly through the Xbox 360 dashboard. That was pretty much the fastest and easiest way to preorder, and you get your unit directly from Microsoft. I remember the sales ranking on amazon discussion happening years ago on this forum, when people were battling over the reliability of NPD, vgchartz and other forms of estimates. I don't remember amazon fairing very well as a predictor of total sales.

White Xbox One dev kit?

http://www.videogamer.com/news/white_xbox_one_devkit_appears_online.html

xbox_one_devkit.jpg
I like it a lot better than in black, it feels significantly less "blocky".

If you add up the 8-10 different Xbox 360 SKUs in Amazon's system that would have been sold that year it probably was. All that list tells us is single SKU sales. Xbox 360 is offered with or without hard drive, with or without Kinect, plus there are a number of Holiday game bundles they do every year, all of which are listed individually.

And how does that explain halo 4? Or not having at least one 360 sku being more popular than a PSP?

We went through this at the beginning of last gen. Amazon sales aren't reflective of general sales.

I find it hard to believe that the xb1 has more preorders than the ps4 but that's because the evidence from varying places not just Amazon.

the problem with this is the ps4 launch sku sold out a fair bit quicker than the xbox one at amazon.

yet by the ytd chart rankings, we can still surmise it sold (was preordered) more in total volume.

I dont know if it should be that surprising a 399 console outsells a 499 one, though.

Xbox onr day onee editions sold out before the ps4 reservrs at gamestop. Then ms opened them up to more day one and they were turned back on.

Amazon took lits of preorders and the split them into day one for the ps4 and then anytine after launch. So people who were preirdrring weeks after e3 on amazon could be getting systems in early 2014.

Ms on the other hand wants to avoid the 2005 issues again .

My first question is credibility. That would be an extreme change. If it is true then MS is really proving to be willing to adapt/adjust.

How is that going to work with launch titles that have Kinect "enhancements"? Are all such changes going to go "optional" with some reworking? (With the exception of Kinect focused titles?) [How many actually are doing that? Maybe not many in the end? I don't know.]

Would it still have microphones and still respond to voice? (Microphones in the main box/front of box?) That might be (by far) the minority of the cost.

It certainly could help the pricing situation.

I really do hope they stick with Kinect. Can't see that rumour being true except in the event of disaster.

It would be a compromise too far. If the Xbox fails, then revert to the same old. They should push hard the unique nifty features of their box.

Maybe they are preparing for 2014 just in case they need to? Not knowing what data they have (such as pre-orders) it is hard to guess whether this is a done decision, or just preparation for a what if. (If the rumor turns out to be true.)

It is an incredibly stupid idea. So, given MS recent history it is probably being considered.

Anyone that complains about mandatory Kinect is about as clueless as it gets. NUI is the future. This is not something that is debatable nor something on which someone can have a valid dissenting opinion. The only variable in play is timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back