News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever see that episode of The Twilight Zone: "Dreams For Sale"?

You'd think that if MS was beaming escapist fantasies into peoples heads they'd do better than make the xb180 just sound like a PS4. Or maybe MS can't even get that right... :LOL:

Right, because another bunch of B3Ders weren't rushing in a frenzy to link whatever fragment of misinterpreted information as tantamount to a doomsday downclock situation.

I am literally rolling my eyes irl.
That was based on a rumour, jumping to conclusions because MS are having a press event at a gaming conference is not even in the same ball park.

Right, because another bunch of B3Ders weren't rushing in a frenzy to link whatever fragment of misinterpreted information as tantamount to a doomsday downclock situation.

I am literally rolling my eyes irl.

Talking upclock/downclock is in acceptable territory as it does have its merits.
20 CUs, 64MB eSRAM, and 12 GB is pretty much way out there in the "what are you smoking" territory in terms of technical, scheduling, and cost points of view.

That was based on a rumour, jumping to conclusions because MS are having a press event at a gaming conference is not even in the same ball park.

The upclocks are based on rumors too. With about the same evidence behind them.

You'd think that if MS was beaming escapist fantasies into peoples heads they'd do better than make the xb180 just sound like a PS4. Or maybe MS can't even get that right...

Not sure why people are calling MS reactionary, in truth it seems the opposite, Sony seems to be the one from some accounts that did a behind the scenes 180 on DRM to react to MS's backlash, and the same if we believe some on price (last second move to 399, ditching cam, also in response to MS). I dont even think it's healthy to be that obsessed with your competitor, regardless how high Sony is riding on internet forums months before launch. It just doesn't strike me as sound strategy.

Then we can discuss them when MS actually tells us what they are. 5 Billion transistors leaves quite a bit to the imagination.

Not when ESRAM is 1.6 billion of them.

What he said.

Come on people, the desperation some of you are displaying is not displaying you in a good light.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as desperation. Wishful thinking perhaps, but desperation would require an emotional investment at it's very least. That's not what's going on here.

It's more or less trying to make sense of the information we have based on what's been leaked and/or officially revealed. There's nothing wrong with a little healthy speculation as long as people can keep their expectations in check. There's still many unanswered questions about the X1's hardware profile.

In the Engadget article they mentioned both having and continually testing hundreds of variations of Xbox prototypes even a week before the May 21st reveal. At the reveal Nick Backer mentioned that they were still testing silicon in their labs.

If Microsoft wanted to move to another board, I doubt very seriously if they would run out of options. lol With the understanding that whatever they use would have to comport with their existing plans, customizations, extensions etc.

dsc07137.jpg

Microsoft spent a billion just on new game development. Who knows how much is being spent on r and d. It's entirely possible different boards have different specs and different type of components. They got a B on the first test while Sony got an A. Who knows about the retest ie new specs.

I'd like to think they are using 1t SRAM instead of 6 or 8t. Would result in chip space savings for same performance

Could be wrong about the performance.. Not an engineer, but I trust Microsoft is doing a good job. Maybe having a case that large could used for different boards with different thermal profiles.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as desperation. Wishful thinking perhaps, but desperation would require an emotional investment at it's very least. That's not what's going on here.

It's more or less trying to make sense of the information we have based on what's been leaked and/or officially revealed. There's nothing wrong with a little healthy speculation as long as people can keep their expectations in check. There's still many unanswered questions about the X1's hardware profile.

In the Engadget article they mentioned both having and continually testing hundreds of variations of Xbox prototypes even a week before the May 21st reveal. At the reveal Nick Backer mentioned that they were still testing silicon in their labs.

If Microsoft wanted to move to another board, I doubt very seriously if they would run out of options. lol With the understanding that whatever they use would have to comport with their existing plans, customizations, extensions etc.

dsc07137.jpg

That's not how testing works though. While hundreds of ideas might start on their way very few of them make it to actual silicon. And even then it doesn't guarantee all those are up to snuff. So in the end even starting from hundreds or thousands very few are viable products in any form and from those that are viable then it is chosen to further develop those that best suit their needs. So by the end there is at most a few competing designs that are almost certainly in the same ballpark design wise. Vary rarely are the final options vastly disparate in performance. Just mostly slight differences in balance to see what gets better results according to their goals.

That's not how testing works though.

Sure it does, in many cases and industries.

Take a look at the range of power and frequency covered from mobile to desktop on a Trinity or Richland quad APU design. You can easily span 15-25W at one end up to 100W at the other end.

You can design dozens of mobile and desktop boards for all kinds of form factors, power levels, prices, etc.

Too many people saying what is impossible. You can clock a 7790 quite easily from 800 to 1175. AMD and Nvidia does this all day long including all sorts of combinations of fusing, PCB, VRM, Fans, Heatsink, Memory Quantity (and width).

I think we have to remember that just because we hear about something now , doesn't mean its post e3 info, it could be pre e3 info. So it may just be normal dev feedback that ms is looking for. IT doesn't have to be a reaction to anything

Wow, major changes to announce? Certainly they aren't going to just go up there and just talk about/show games right?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4493906/report-microsoft-planning-gamescom-press-conference
Hosting a conference like that is very very unusual of them. :unsure:

I hope they can make up for the abysmal reveal and all what happened afterwards.

There is no denying that announcing the new Xbox chief could happen then and it would be a good thing. I hope Julie Larson is the new CEO. Time will tell.

Replacing Ballmer?
Yes, of course. Windows 8 is really good, no matter what they say.

To be fair the only criticism I've heard of is the Metro Start, you can't deny how much better Windows 8 runs compared to all the other Windows OSs.

To be fair the only criticism I've heard of is the Metro Start, you can't deny how much better Windows 8 runs compared to all the other Windows OSs.

What's funny about Windows 8 is that if people had actual faults with the OS like performance or bugs, they absolutely would complain about those first (and traditionally you always WANTED new hardware to run a new OS). "Where is my start button?!?" would not make the top 5.

Well do you have it installed on your computer? You said the "only criticism I've heard etc."
Imo try it for yourself, and then we speak.
Honestly as far as perfs are concerned I can't really tell the difference (not that there are not) but it is "clumsy" to use imo.
May they have stuck to the desktop and the start menu, had added the charms bars, it could have been great but now try it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well do you have it installed on your computer? You said the "only criticism I've heard etc."
Honestly outside as far as perfs are concerned I can't really tell the difference (not that there are not) but it is "clumsy" to use imo.
May they have stuck to the desktop and the start menu, had added the charms bars, it could have been great but now try it ;)

I'm currently running 8.1 on a hybrid tablet and my home pc. So far, it's quite a nice jump up from windows 7.

There's a lot to "learn and unlearn" with this operating system and I'd imagine that is what's putting a lot of people off.

The one issue that I have is that setting up the ability to "remote in" from a separate network is a bit...laborious...trial and error? Still fine-tuning my open ports/enabled settings to get max performance. Definitely worth the upgrade, however.

I'm currently running 8.1 on a hybrid tablet and my home pc. So far, it's quite a nice jump up from windows 7.

There's a lot to "learn and unlearn" with this operating system and I'd imagine that is what's putting a lot of people off.

The one issue that I have is that setting up the ability to "remote in" from a separate network is a bit...laborious...trial and error? Still fine-tuning my open ports/enabled settings to get max performance. Definitely worth the upgrade, however.

Agreed. Win 8 feels more advanced than win 7. Speed, security, hyper v... i have few complaints... well worth the upgrade even before 8.1

Honestly as far as perfs are concerned I can't really tell the difference (not that there are not) but it is "clumsy" to use imo.

I've been using Windows 8 since launch, and I definitely think it's better than Windows 7. It just isn't as perfectly refined as Windows 7 was for its time, but it's definitely a superior OS all around, even with its oversights and imperfections. The desktop side is definitely more powerful and more advanced with better overall features, and I've always felt the Metro ui had potential, but it just needs some time. I think of the Metro UI the same way I think of the way the way the Windows desktop evolved from Windows 95 all the way up to what it is now. Give Metro time, and it will be packed with interesting refinements and features. There has already been a number of major improvements to the default Metro apps on Windows 8, to the point that I can now see clear evidence of what a much more powerful metro ui app might be like in comparison to its desktop counterpart, although the desktop will always hold the edge.

Windows 8.1, which I installed just yesterday, is even better. People are mostly focusing on a specific set of changes that all websites are talking about, but Windows 8.1 from what I've noticed has a number of interesting additions especially to the desktop side.

My only complain with Win 8 is the "fight for supremacy" between the desktop and Metro/Start screen. If I open an app (from the desktop / file explorer) that invokes a Metro app then when I close that app I'd rather it goes back to the desktop (where I previously was) rather than going to the start screen.

Other than that one gripe, I'm very happy with it. I like the fact that I can get a quick view of lots up updates (without having to start different apps) an with the start screen and the Win 8.1 updates is nice for providing a good mix of updates and fitting enough apps onscreen (without scrolling) that makes it more useful as a replacement of the Win 7 Programs Menu (Windows Button).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back